No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for setting that straight. Wonder if El Trumpo will take aim at them.

Comment

VWs are great cars if you like repairing stuff all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
        Scott Pruitt has spent $1,560 on 12 fountain pens.

Imperial.
        I'm quite surprised he went for low-end pens, not Mont Blancs.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
          VWs are great cars if you like repairing stuff all the time.
          If electricity runs through it, you'll be replacing it.

Comment

Democrats seem very wary of calling out this lunatic trade war on rich allies. This garbled effort is the best fist anybody's making of it that I've seen.

Chuck Schumer
            ‏Verified account @SenSchumer
            All of us who want to see a strong American economy hope that the actions yesterday won’t be used by the Trump administration as an excuse to back off on China - the number one predator when it comes to trade.
            What's the deal? How many even have many steel producers? Not as many as have lots of people dependent on manufacturing with steel. Are we still in that nonsense 2016 mode?

Comment

By contrast, Labour have rolled out the big guns. Barry Gardiner is leading on this one.

Apologies to them if I've missed it, but Corbyn and McDonnell aren't saying it. You could be forgiven thinking that protectionism like this is where they want to go. And as Berba said, if you want a close relationship with the EU, this issue is an absolute gift.

My Shadow Cabinet MP (Christina Rees) isn't making much effort either. She's got plenty of constituents at Port Talbot steelworks.

This all looks poor.
              Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 01-06-2018, 21:38.

Comment

https://twitter.com/RobertMaguire_/status/1002627934845308928

https://twitter.com/ajmount/status/1002681597974507522

Comment

I think the trade war is potentially a greater self-inflicted bullet wound to Trump's chances of serving out his full-term as Russia-gate ever was. Fucking up the economy and jobs are perceived as more "real" to people's lives and that potentially blows back on GOP office holders who then start to kick out. If the political protection that international government alliances give to global capital is being damaged by Trump, that can only end one way.

Comment

Wrong thread.

Comment

I'm wondering, oddly, if the trade war is sensible policy for the US. The US had an economy in good shape following the Obama years. You then borrow a trillion dollars to give away to rich people, who will spend some of it and the rest goes into savings that need to be invested in stocks. The stock market will explode, and the economy will grow too fast. We're already in the bubble, so perhaps some deflationary stuff scaring people about trade wars is a sensible way to counteract the massive exuberance...

I'm sure it's not deliberate, but it might turn out to be temporarily helpful.

Comment

There hasn't been a proper trade war in our lifetimes has there? The economic and political circumstances now are surely different to whenever that was, so predictions as to the consequences are bound to be vague guesses I'd imagine.

Comment

So what are we to make of this?

Comment

The go-to person is Marcia Wheeler

her initial comment on the letter:
                            This “letter” is one of the most ridiculous pieces of legal sophistry I have ever seen in my life. It, without an iota of shame or self reflection, brazenly place Trump as not just a King, but a God like entity that far outstrips the importance of the rule of law or separation of powers the Founders intended.

So, I am leaving this here until either Marcy or I come back to it later. Read the damn thing. Weep for your country and the shreds of its Constitution before Trump and his lackeys burn what’s left.
                            But this is extremely interesting- saying the implications are that Putin dictated Trump's statement.

Comment

We're already in the bubble, so perhaps some deflationary stuff scaring people about trade wars is a sensible way to counteract the massive exuberance...
                              Tariffs are inflationary, traditionally.

Comment

This is a bit fucking scary

https://twitter.com/thomaswright08/status/1003307049906855936

Comment

Someone is getting an “invitation” from the Foreign Ministry.

Grenell is such an idiot that there is a very good chance that anything he tries will be counter-productive, so we have that going for us.

Comment

https://twitter.com/timothypmurphy/status/1003278160929095680?s=21

Comment

Ah! So people who admit guilt aren't guilty? That's going to really fuck the plea-deal system of US justice, isn't it...

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Grenell is such an idiot that there is a very good chance that anything he tries will be counter-productive, so we have that going for us.
                                        Imagine how uncomfortable a conversation that is going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Very good is an underestimation.

Comment

Meanwhile the fucking shit Democratic Party fights to try and be as corrupt as the republicans. https://theintercept.com/2018/06/04/...-the-party-is/

(mind you that article also reveals that The Intercept needs to hire a proof reader. Meglen or Melgen? Make up your minds)

Comment

What's he like on trade? Any Democrat prepared to call out Trump properly on tariffs gets my vote.

Comment

Bernard did call Trump out on tariffs, surprisingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                                  What's he like on trade? Any Democrat prepared to call out Trump properly on tariffs gets my vote.
                                                  So someone from the Labour Party must exactly meet your exacting standards on economic policy and Brexit, but a Democrat can be a corrupt scumbag and an unapologetic cheerleader for the occupation and all its crimes as long as they are OK on tariffs? I think you need to have a bit of a look at those double standards

Comment

I'm with Ad Hoc on this. It really would have helped the Democrats if Menendez had got himself kicked out of the senate for corruption immediately after the new governor of NJ had been appointed. Almost every Democrat is going to be wrong on a bunch of stuff for the OTF orthodoxy, but Menendez is a particularly special case who's going to create a slight opening for Republicans in a state where they shouldn't have a chance.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X