No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes you think it must be the parody account.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
      Has one of those fuckers nicked Flynnie’s avatar? The bastards.
      Go away, baseball!

/joyreid

Comment

"You jumped into my mentions uninvited, Baseball."

https://twitter.com/deep_beige/statu...94085944524800

Joy has some of Trump's paranoia; mysterious people hacking her old homophobic blog, etc. There are many better African-American female journalists out there who would be far more productive for the cause if they took her job on MSNBC, which she was lucky to keep when those old snarky posts came to light.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
          But but he’s been compared to an orang utan! It’s the same!
          It's even worst than that. Sarah Sanders wanted an apology for Trump being called a white supremacist.

Comment

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1002177521599860736

Comment

So racist sheriffs and racist campaign finance fraudsters. I think I'm detecting a pattern.

Comment

San Bernardhinault's comment about the transition may be prescient. You don't have to be an avid El Trumpo watcher to notice that his behavior has deteriorated, and the fall is steepening, since election. If he stays the course and is voted out his unpredictability could spiral totally out of control. His overbearing venality could take control and he would adopts a "dog in the manger" attitude. Bears worrying about.

Not really that surprising that the Reps "no" vote was stronger in the western counties of Virginia. In the South at least Trump's strongest support comes from the rural areas and in the Valley even the larger towns, Roanoke, Staunton, Lynchburg, Harrisonburg, are really rural communities on a larger scale.

Comment

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1002183843212939265

Comment

Also, as noted by others including Popehat, D'Souza pleaded guilty and told the court he knew what he did was wrong and illegal when he did it. As with the Arpaio pardon, Trump is really attacking the rule of law.

Comment

Miller and Navarro appear to be running policy at this point.

There's no way that can end well.

Comment

Canada has prepared detailed options for retaliation, including an investigation into steel dumping from several countries, including the United States, with the possibility of imposing its own tariffs. Canada is also considering imposing levies on high-profile U.S.-made consumer goods and luxury items, with the goal of hurting the United States in a visible way without damaging Canada’s economy by restricting necessary imports.

“I would like to absolutely assure Canadians, particularly those who work in the steel and aluminium industries, that the government is absolutely prepared to and will defend Canadian industries and Canadian jobs,” Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland said earlier on Wednesday. “We will respond. And we will respond appropriately.

Flavio Volpe, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers’ Association of Canada, echoed Ms. Freeland.

“It makes it really difficult to believe that deliberations are in good faith if you’re taking capricious actions like this that really hurt the other parties,” he said. “How do you sit at the centre of the global economy and behave this way?”

Globe & Mail

Comment

Re: the trade war, the latest (very thinly sourced) story is that he told Macron he wanted to ban (effectively? actually?) imports of German luxury cars.

Comment

Ref Virginia. Virginia has always been a divided state, since before the Civil War. Culturally, economically and politically. Culturally the western counties were not settled by the pseudo English aristocrats who populated the tidewater and piedmont and held a political hegemony until the 1860s. They were Irish, Scots, Welsh and, later, Germans who deeply resented the plantation class. One of the factors that led to the creation of the state of West Virginia in 1863. Also there were, and still are communities of Mennonites, Amish and Dunkers, strong proponents of the "Leave us alone" philosophy.

Economically the western counties developed differently because the geography did not support the plantation/factory farm system as in the tidewater and piedmont. That meant that slavery did not take a deep hold. It wasn't until the development of the coal industry that the western counties had a substantial trade and that was with Ohio and Pennsylvania. Some areas are still remote and difficult to get to. There are Interstates, I-64, I-81 and US11 (The "Valley Pike") but wander far from these roads and it is remote.

Politically the divide was mountain/tidewater. Now it is more rural/urban. The DC suburbs and the DC-Richmond corridor are more liberal. Recent results have shown what can happen if the Dems mobilize the urban vote. The Medicaid Expansion result was one such result.

This is a gross simplification but, I hope, makes some points.

Comment

He has absolutely no idea how trade or global supply chains work.

Comment

He has no idea...

Comment

I bet he doesn't know that most mercedes cars in America are made in alabama, out of american made parts.

Comment

Which will now cost more, because of the steel tariffs.

Comment

Are Mercedes made of steel? Isn't that heavy?

*Although if it's aluminum, there are tariffs on that too.

Comment

I expect the chassis is steel. According to various Google results, it seems to account for a bit over half of a typical car's weight.

Comment

Am I wrong or does a german firm own Chrysler?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                            Are Mercedes made of steel? Isn't that heavy?
                                            You what, now?

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                              Am I wrong or does a german firm own Chrysler?
                                              Italian. Fiat Chrysler Automotive.

Comment

No A german Firm does not own Fiat Chrysler. fiat Chrysler is a dutch registered company with its headquarters in London.

Daimler owned them a while back but it didn't last long.

Comment

Daimler AG rid itself of Chrysler in 2007.

Comment

That was...... timely.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X