So, how did you vote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, how did you vote?

That wasn't a vote for Cameron, that was a futile vote to oust our local MP (who still got in by about 9,000 votes anyway).

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Well this wasn't a vote for him either, if we're being literal.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Just voted. Beautiful setting in an ancient church. Glorious sunshine drenched the grounds. British sunshine. Fifth best sunshine in the world. How much better could that sunshine be if we had control over our own skies? Erm, sorry, I voted Remain.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Did anyone here vote Leave other than LukeR.

Everyone here is, literally, the out of touch elite living in a bubble, clearly.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Slackster is I think the only person who has posted that he voted Leave.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

And Tubbs, after all this, didn't vote at all. That's kind of poor.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Mrs Flibl and I decided to combine voting (both remain) with a visit to the local for a pub lunch. Very pleasant.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

I received a lovely message from Mrs. VT this morning, while I was in a conference in Moshi, Tanzania on the protection of trafficked persons, that she had popped down to the polling station at 07.30 and voted by proxy on my behalf.

Remain.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Mme Chaude and I have just braved the thunderstorms to go and vote In.

As usual, we saw no-one other than the clerk during our visit to the village hall polling station.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

All of the examples of proxy voting on this thread are strange to US eyes, as the practice is banned here in the electoral context.

How do you record a proxy?

Comment

So, how did you vote?

[quote]johnr wrote:
                        Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
                        No vote because not at home, not time for a postal vote.
                        Not time?

Too late when I realised I'd be away.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Le Fusil dEst Dix wrote: And Tubbs, after all this, didn't vote at all. That's kind of poor.
                          Didn't realise I'd be away. Ledbury to Tower Hamlets then to Neath was a bit much even for me.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

David Agnew wrote: With a pencil.
                            Hope you didn't press too firmly. It's bloody hard work rubbing out these crosses, I tell you...

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Tubby Isaacs wrote: No vote because not at home, not time for a postal vote.
                              Sorry Tubby, but had to laugh at this. You've been prominent on the EU thread and you didn't vote. I find it faintly absurd, in a well meaning way.

Of course there may be a 101 reasons why you didn't/couldn't vote, so please don't take it the wrong way.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Etienne wrote: I've just voted remain, and so has my wife. I took our baby in so that she could experience the heady thrill of democracy.
                                I got to Belle Vue Youth Club about 8ish.

Anyway, in.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

NickSTFU wrote:
                                  Sorry Tubby, but had to laugh at this. You've been prominent on the EU thread and you didn't vote. I find it faintly absurd, in a well meaning way.

Of course there may be a 101 reasons why you didn't/couldn't vote, so please don't take it the wrong way.
                                  It is ironic, or something. Family reason I was in Ledbury unexpectedly (not a tragic one, or anything).

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                    Originally posted by NickSTFU

It is ironic, or something. Family reason I was in Ledbury unexpectedly (not a tragic one, or anything).
                                    Glad to hear it.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

ursus arctos wrote: All of the examples of proxy voting on this thread are strange to US eyes, as the practice is banned here in the electoral context.

You let the electoral registration people know that you want someone to vote for you by proxy. It's one of the two methods of absentee voting in the UK. There's a proxy voting form.

They then have to vote at your polling station, which means that your proxy has to live where you do.

Which is awkward, because my mum doesn't live where I used to...

Which is where the second absentee method - the postal vote - comes in. If, like me, you live somewhere that you can't be 100% sure that a postal ballot will get delivered to you and returned to the UK in time for an election, you then have to get your mum to send in a postal proxy vote to Wandsworth...

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Comment

So, how did you vote?

ursus arctos wrote: All of the examples of proxy voting on this thread are strange to US eyes, as the practice is banned here in the electoral context.

I applied by downloading, printing, filling in and scanning a form nominating my brother as my proxy, and then emailing it to my local Electoral Services office. They registered him as my proxy and he went in today and told them his name, and that he was my proxy, and they found him on the list and gave him two voting papers - one for his own vote and one for mine (I assume that very last bit is the case, anyway; I've had others vote for me by proxy twice now, but haven't voted for anyone as their proxy).

If I'd wanted to fork out a few thousand quid on a last minute plane ticket I could have gone home yesterday and if I'd beaten him to the polling station could have voted myself and when he turned up, he'd have been told I'd already done so.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Seriously? After they've tailed the vans, then what? Has anyone checked the eraser stocks in the UK, we really need to know if there's been a rush on at Staples.

In, by the way, Me and Mrs Anorak.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Thanks to both of you.

I wonder if the American antipathy to proxy voting is in part a function of our very long campaigns, which means that ballots are set several months in advance, which gives plenty of time for postal votes (which we call "absentee ballots").

Comment

So, how did you vote?

That goes straight into my top 5 busiest polling station experiences.

1. General Election 2005
                                                2. General Election 1997
                                                3. EU Referendum
                                                4. General Election 2015
                                                5. General Election 2010

Remain.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Ah fair dos Tubbs.

Comment

So, how did you vote?

Credit to Tubbs for owning up to it, too.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X