Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Mallorca overall has a bigger population than Winnipeg, for example, so if the whole island, or a big part of it, counts as part of the metro region, it's still borderline "big city."

I saw that their system is fairly new. Are they expecting a lot of growth or had the growth already overwhelmed the capacity of their existing transportation options?

I suppose that it might also be hard to deal with a car on an island.

Honolulu has light rail too, I think.
    Spain went waaay overboard on mega public infrastructure works in the 2000s long boom (as well as building up an impressive property bubble). Swanky international Airports for towns of 50,000 that never had any passengers, more high speed rail than you could shake a stick at, motorways out the door. Some much needed and excellent mass transit stuff, but a lot of fragrantly corrupt pork barrel as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciud...tional_Airport
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 11-01-2024, 22:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
      Spain went waaay overboard on mega public infrastructure works in the 2000s long boom (as well as building up an impressive property bubble). Swanky international Airports for towns of 50,000 that never had any passengers, more high speed rail than you could shake a stick at, motorways out the door. Some much needed and excellent mass transit stuff, but a lot of fragrantly corrupt pork barrel as well.
      Yeah, people complain about the red tape involved in the planning of infrastructure, but given that we live in a world of finite resources, it's really important to make everything go through a cost benefit analysis, where someone has to explain what the purpose of everything is, and determining if its worth doing, and if you really need to build an international airport in the spanish version of tullamore. High speed rail is great, but it's only a tool, to be used in the right place and the right time, and you need to accept up front that you're going to have to probably pay for it in the long run, so it better be achieving the particular goals you wanted, otherwise you should do something else,

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

It's two lanes in each direction. Isn't that kind of standard?
        There is no standard, road capacity is built according to the traffic level.

For the trucks to and from the port, a single bore with one lane in each direction would have sufficed.

They built a fully-fledge motorway because the PDs had a future plan to move the port and turn the area into some kind of Manhattan of Dublin. And they'd need to get up to the airport in their Mercs.
        Last edited by anton pulisov; 12-01-2024, 12:11.

Comment

Michael McDowell and that egregious spoofer David McWilliams are still floating the nonsense of making dublin port into skyscrapers (for housing rather than offices now cos Solve the Crisis) and making a deepwater port at the shallow waters and oldest neotlithic tombs in ireland by Gormanstown/Balbriggan. I wonder if Legitimate Businessman Johnny Ronan has been treating them to grand days out in return for running these Irish Times columns every 6 months, he's behind the bollocks plans along with Drogheda Ports Authority.
          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 12-01-2024, 13:11.

Comment

I've had quite an interesting illustration of the current state of Twitter/X today. I posted the same thing on my 'work' profile on there and on my LinkedIn at the same time this morning. For context, I have slightly more followers on the former than connections on the latter (similarly modest numbers on both), but 6 hours after posting, the number of impressions are:

LinkedIn – 180
            Twitter/X – 15

Comment

Musk threatening to go home with the ball again.

He wants to develop his AI plans within Tesla, but only if he is given more control over Tesla, otherwise he will start a separate company for his AI plans.

Comment

Good thing he has funding secured to take it private.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                  I've had quite an interesting illustration of the current state of Twitter/X today. I posted the same thing on my 'work' profile on there and on my LinkedIn at the same time this morning. For context, I have slightly more followers on the former than connections on the latter (similarly modest numbers on both), but 6 hours after posting, the number of impressions are:

LinkedIn – 180
                  Twitter/X – 15
                  I've found that over the year when I pimping the vlog on there. Engagement on Twitter is absolutely non-existent and it was like that before it became overloaded with spambots. I have the strong feeling that people have never actually looked at the right metrics.

Comment

If Musk hadn't pissed away his Tesla shares to buy Twitter, he would have more control over Tesla. But that's not his fault, of course not...

Comment

I'm getting Phillip Morris ads at the moment. On the safety of heated tobacco and nicotine in general. Seems worse than gambling.

In other Musk news, he's been posting about the waste of giving money to Ukraine and there are reports of Russian forces using Starlink.

Comment

According to CHEQ, a whopping 75.85 percent of traffic from X to its advertising clients' websites during the weekend of the Super Bowl was fake.
                        https://mashable.com/article/x-twitt...s-fake-traffic

Comment

I've lost track of which thread is the Muskwatch one these days, so I will put this one here https://futurism.com/the-byte/elon-m...-tunnel-sludge

Comment

Is there a way to block twitter from being a site I can visit, but still allow individual posts from twitter to appear on OTF? Most solution just block any content loading from twitter/x.com which would preclude sometimes helpful/interesting posts being visible in this place. FYI I'm using Safari on a Mac running Sonoma.

Comment

I believe that one currently has to have an account on the platform in order to be able to see non-snapshot links that are posted here.

I don't know if that still works if one has blocked the site on one's individual browser, but Elmo seems absolutely intent on destroying cross functionality.

Comment

Yeah, deleting your account seems like the solution.

Comment

In February, X had 27 million daily active users of its mobile app in the U.S., down 18% from a year earlier, according to Sensor Tower, a market intelligence firm based in San Francisco. The U.S. user base has been flat or down every month since November 2022, the first full month of Musk’s owning the app, and in total it’s down 23% since then, Sensor Tower said.

The numbers were nearly as bad worldwide, as daily active users on the mobile app fell to 174 million in February, down 15% from a year earlier, the firm said. The worldwide user base has been flat or down every month during Musk’s tenure began except one, when it grew slightly in October and then resumed falling, according to Sensor Tower.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...ers-rcna144115

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                    Good thing he has funding secured to take it private.
                                    r/agedlikemilk

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                      Yeah, deleting your account seems like the solution.
                                      Worked for all 4 of my accounts. I'm perma-banned. For SO many reasons, but the main one was calling the President of the United States "a cunt with no regard of feast, nor famine, who would only institute governance, if it was for self-benefit."

I can kinda see that one, but in 2020, about half an hour after the pandemic became a pandemic... oopsies.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                        calling the President of the United States "a cunt
                                        That's not narrowing it down...

Comment

Fair point, GO. Good to hear from you.

Now, in a twisted aside, did I just see a thread (going to check back, but) "oops Earp side your head"?

That is fucking magnificent.

Comment

"Earps Upside Your Head".

My point stands. That is outrageously good. Younger viewers etc...

<APPLAUSE>

Comment

Sadly not one of mine. And it's always good to hear from you.

Comment

So, Donald Trump is kicking off about electric cars, on Twitter. Elon Musk is a shitstain on humanity, and owns Twitter.

This is going to end well. (Hey, I got relevant, eventually.)

Comment

Elon Musk’s X is a thriving hub for Nazi support and propaganda, with paid subscribers sharing speeches by Adolf Hitler or content praising his genocidal regime.

NBC News found that at least 150 paid “Premium” subscriber X accounts and thousands of unpaid accounts have posted or amplified pro-Nazi content on X in recent months, often in apparent violation of X’s rules. The paid accounts posting the content all consistently posted antisemitic or pro-Nazi material. Examples included praise of Nazi soldiers, sharing of Nazi symbols and denials of the Holocaust

Comment

I don't use Xitter any more, but every so often, after following a link from OTF, I'll report about half a dozen unambiguously racist, AS or pro-Nazi posts/accounts, just out of interest. Not a single ban to date. For reference, pre-Elmo, the same accounts were blocked 98% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X