So, New York then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, New York then

Sorry to keep using this board as a travel guide, but I trust you guys. Don't know why.

I'm surprising my missus who is currently in NYC on Thursday and I didn't know if anyone had any (cheapish) recommendations of things to do and see, perhaps that I wouldn't know of?

I also need to work out how to get from JFK to 7th Ave. on the cheap, which'll be a laugh...

So, New York then

Here's a recent thread that might help:

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/28-world/1135379-help-me-plan-our-dream-holiday#1135379

Comment

So, New York then

Stan, you can get from JFK to midtown on the Air Train and subway for about 8 dollars.

Take the Staten Island Ferry. It is free, gives you great views of downtown and the Statue of Liberty, as well as a nice hour on the water. The High Line is also free.

Comment

So, New York then

Go up the Rockefeller Centre rather than the Empire State. Shorter queues and you can actually see the Empire State from it.

Comment

So, New York then

That's one of my standard recommendations.

30 Rock is also a much more interesting building inside

Comment

So, New York then

Nah.

The Empire State building is amazing inside. Going up it is well worth it IMO.

Don't get suckered into paying more than a few dollars to go into any of the museums with optional donations especially the Met and the AMNH.

If you want to go to the Museum of the City of New York (which is excellent imo), you can get in for free if you go into the Museo del Barrio first.

Comment

So, New York then

Wonderful.
              Thank you all!

Comment

So, New York then

The "recommended entrance fee" ruse is another of my standard points. The Met is particularly rapacious in this respect, which is why they had to settle this lawsuit.

Other places for free art viewing include all of the galleries (Chelsea, 57th Street, SoHo) and the auction houses. Time Out's site is good on this.

This site is good for free music, as is this one.

This week is going to be wet, but won't be cold.

Comment

So, New York then

Oh, one more thing.

There will be a lot of amateurs out drinking on Thursday and Friday, as Cinco de Mayo (Mexican Independence Day) is in the process of becoming St. Patrick's Day bis (largely due to massive advertising by alcohol companies).

Comment

So, New York then

Going up the Empire State Building was probably my worst holiday experience ever. Best day I had when I went there was walking over the Brooklyn bridge then going out to Coney Island!

Comment

So, New York then

Nothing to add to what ursus said. Have fun!

Comment

So, New York then

While everyone says go up the Rock instead of the ESB so you can see the ESB, they never expand this logic to going over the Manhattan Bridge so you can get a good view of the Brooklyn Bridge.

There is a very good reason for this. Taking the subway over the Manhattan lets you see one of my favorite bits of Subway art. I also really enjoy 14th and 8th for that, as the guy apparently keeps adding things all the time.

Here is the documentary from PBS on it - it is excellent

Comment

Working...
                        X