Antonin Scalia dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antonin Scalia dead

Huge news for the Supreme Court. This may be one of the most contested nomination proceedings in decades. A Democratic president replacing a hard right-wing Justice. A Republican congress. During an election year.

Antonin Scalia dead

It's going to be interesting, because if Congress can't let an Obama nominee through, then every one of this year's rulings is going to be tied 4-4 or is going to go with the liberals.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

The Democrats just won the White House, IMO.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Ring Out The Bells! An evil man is off to Hell to meet his maker.

I rarely actively wish people dead, but Antonin Scalia, you were an evil man, a traitor to your country and a cancer to common Human Decency. Tell Satan, I'll be along soon enough.

Send no flowers.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

I'm curious if Obama's going to have time to nominate a new Justice of the Supreme court. Just under a year to do it, with an intractably opposed Congress against him.

GO NUCLEAR, Barrack! Use up every saved up Executive Order chip you've hoarded all these years (no two term President in US History has issued LESS Executive Orders) to push through a sensible, COMPETENT, young, moderate-to-liberal judge that can bring some sense and compassion to this right-wing ClusterFuck of a court.

OR.... Force through the most liberal, "activist" judge (Female, black and gay, preferably) you can to replace this vile slug who willfully denigrated his position with his every hateful utterance and action.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

This could be terrific news for the women and other uterus-owning people of Texas. I understand that this is the next case the Supreme Court is due to hear. A sudden retirement would have been nicer, mind.

Enjoying fanciful 'speculation' such as "Obama resigns, Biden nominates Obama to the SC" and "Obama nominates HRC to the SC then endorses Sanders for the Democrat candidate".

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

I get the distaste for Scalia, but if we were disposing of Conservative Supremes he'd be third on my list after Alito and Thomas.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Would be quite entertaining if there was a problem counting the votes in Florida this November and still and even number of judges in the court.

It would be the equivalent of a country having a hard drive crash.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

His hobbies included shooting wildlife with Dick Cheney.

The cunt.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

lol

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Scalia... scalier. Shit, he was one of the lizards.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

i don't understand why it's apparently accepted that nominees to the US supreme court should be political hacks whose every decision is pre-determined by party allegiance.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

oh hang on - is everyone cool with them just dumbly voting along party lines because it's tacitly understood that given the absence of term limits, most of them are probably suffering with alzheimer's disease at any given time?

what a ludicrous system.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

I suppose it's because so much of the relatively important stuff in the US is decided by the Supreme court. Particularly wedge culture war issues, like Abortion, Guns, Gays. But also Campaign finance, healthcare, and regulations.

it's really important. Particularly since they invented Supreme court justices who decided to judge everything based on what they imagined the writers of the constitution were thinking. I mean that shit is insane.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Satchmo Said It Best.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Were he and Ruth Bader Ginsburg as privately chummy (as fellow opera buffs) as legend had it?

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                                    it's really important. Particularly since they invented Supreme court justices who decided to judge everything based on what they imagined the writers of the constitution were thinking. I mean that shit is insane.
                                    dum dum dum dum dum

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Benjm, yes they really were.

It was strange, given their political and jurisprudential differences, but it was very real.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Another Republican senator on CNN saying that Obama already named two judges so the next one should be named by the next president. Didn't Dubya get to name three? I guess different rules apply.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

They are insane. And the media will completely go along with treating Obama putting forward a nominee as a political decision worth debating.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

Don't remember the voters saying that they were only voting for Obama for a 3 year term.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

It was strange, given their political and jurisprudential differences, but it was very real.
                                              Up to a point (and Scalia may have gone beyond that point on some occasions of course) I don't find that kind of thing strange in general. I think on the contrary it's unnecessary and impoverishing to build one's circles of friends and other social companions entirely within one's political tribal home zone. One of the things that most pissed me off about my university experience in the 1980s was how woefully politically tribalised student social life had become. As a sixth former I'd been in a close circle of friends of utterly opposing political views.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

The founding fathers would be spinning in their graves to see what has become of the Supreme Court. The whole point of the place was originally to ensure that the law was above politics; now it is the biggest political football of them all - arguably more important to both parties than control of the Senate.

Comment

Antonin Scalia dead

it's utter nonsense. why don't they have term limits?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X