Andrew Sullivan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrew Sullivan

One of the more famous British ex-pats in the U.S. with one of the more (if not the most) high-profile political blogs, a soi-disant 'Gay Tory', etc etc. There being so many lefty UK residents on this board, what's the word on the street about him (if any)?

His latest in the Sunday Times...

Andrew Sullivan

I'm a fan. I think he's thoroughly wrong about a huge amount of stuff, but (a) he's always wrong in a rigorous and challenging fashion and (b) he's frequently importantly right, such as on how one can combine Catholic faith with sexuall, well, dissidence.

His Virtually Normal is one of the best books I've ever read on politics, and probably one of the best on homosexuality.

Comment

Andrew Sullivan

Very waffly, that article -- the first ten or so paragraphs are all flannel and padding, telling us absolutely nothing we don't know.

Comment

Andrew Sullivan

I'm not quite as sanguine about him as Toro - when he's wrong, he's really, really wrong, and can be a real dick about it (most famously his "fifth column" statement, but that's far from the only one). I also think his reconciliation of his sexuality with his faith and politics isn't as successful or as rational as Toro makes out. It's pretty standard conservatarian morality-for-thee-but-not-for-me as far as I can see. That said, I prefer him to almost any other conservative commentator based in the US, and at least in recent years has done more to engage his critics (from both left and right) than most.

Comment

Andrew Sullivan

Of course, a lot of these same "conservatives" are now scrambling to recast Bush as a liberal. The cognitive dissonance is truly extraordinary.

Comment

Andrew Sullivan

I don't know if there is a bigger cognitive dissonance causer than being a gay practicing catholic.

Comment

Andrew Sullivan

Well, colm, that is not least because you have only the most passing acquaintance with catholic theory and theology...

Comment

Andrew Sullivan

yawn.

Comment

Andrew Sullivan

Toro De France wrote:
                  Well, colm, that is not least because you have only the most passing acquaintance with catholic theory and theology...
                  Isn't that the case for most catholics?

Comment

Andrew Sullivan

The major way to get around cognitive dissonance is through rationalization and Denial, and this talk of catholic theory and theology screams both of those things.

I may have a limited interest in catholic theory and theology toro, but isn't that a lot less important than the catholic practice?

Comment

Working...
                    X