The Secret Of Mike Ashley's Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's a cunt whose company runs a de facto gulag.

Nothing of substance to add, but this doesn't deserve to be a nil thread.

Scum. Hope he ends up on the wrong side of some lawsuit about those practices. We can only dream of the punitive settlement he deserves to be made liable for, sadly.

Comment

Workers are warned that if they clock in one minute late – or clock off one minute early – they will be docked 15 minutes’ pay.

This was the practice at the headlamp factory where I had my second job aged 17 (in 1989). Whenever I was late I would do the right thing and wait till the 15 minutes were up before clocking in. Got sacked after two months. We got paid in cash on Fridays, which I think were also half days. Seems like another world.

Sounds like the place needs unionising, or the workers need to beat the shit out of the bosses. Like most places, I suppose.

Comment

The culture described there doesn't sound that different to an awful lot of low skill jobs. I spent about a year working in warehousing, mainly fork lift truck driving, in the late 70's and the 15 minute business and spot searches were standard practice then. Blame Frederick Taylor I guess.

Comment

Every time I go back to the states, I always remember what it's like to go into a sports store that doesn't feel as miserable as a root canal. I've no doubt Sports Authority has risible labour practices themselves, but I've never walked out of one feeling like I needed to take a shower.

Comment

Could Sports Direct be in deep sht here? They've used a small army of unskilled labour, and have been cheating each and every one of them. If there's a claim against them, it could be enormous, no?

Comment

A couple of articles.

Sports Direct shares plunge as sales growth stalls

More than Ł400m was wiped off the value of Sports Direct as City investors and MPs turned on the company following disappointing financial results and revelations over pay and working conditions unearthed by a Guardian investigation...

...The company was branded a “scar on British business” by the Institute of Directors, was rounded on by its own shareholders and opposition MPs demanded that the FTSE 100 company be investigated by HMRC.
              Revealed: how Sports Direct stripped USC assets before it collapsed

The episode has since seen Sports Direct’s chief executive, David Forsey, charged with a criminal offence for allegedly failing to give the 30 days’ notice required for redundancies under employment law. Forsey denies the charge. Meanwhile, Ashley has been accused of using “disgraceful and unlawful employment practices” during the incident.

Comment

Guardian really going after Ashley. Why?

Comment

Because they can?

Comment

Clearly there are better placed people on here to comment who cannot, so I will hazard a guess.

A two month commitment on any investigation on bad working processes is a big investment. I would guess the Guardian wanted to run an expose on that kind of thing but no one would give them the budget on it. When the other piece started to come together, maybe they thought it was time to commit on the other story they had kicking around as an idea for a long time as it groups together in the way that gets traction.

Obviously, I have no intelligence on this. Just it seems like a happy marriage of some investigative reporting they wanted to do with another story making it viable. The fact that Ashley was on the receiving end was coincidental.

I am sure one of our vintage posters (I forget his name) would happily point out that this is just the Guardian's anti Newcastle agenda.

Comment

Louise Taylor pulling the strings again, sheeple!

Comment

Right - who was that poster? He was brilliant.

He was like a Newcastle United EIM.

Comment

Auntie Beryl wrote: Guardian really going after Ashley. Why?
                          Have you seen what he's done to Lillywhite's?

Comment

Can't wait to read that post - how an article attacking a man who attacks the working class is the real attack on the working class and a anti-NUFC to boot.

Comment

What a total wanker the guy is, with his hypothetical stupid post.

Comment

Exactly what we would expect the Branes Trust to say.

Comment

His original user name was ianc, but by the time he left it was InezBotcop something.

More than five years ago. How time flies.

Comment

A Sports Direct expose ticks several boxes for The Guardian - they are, notably, very enthusiastic on zero hours contracts, so a piece on SD is a piece on where other companies might like to go given half the chance.

Comment

Rather thin gruel the latest story though, isn't it? I thought the one from October about the number of people being worked to death was a little more piquant.

The more I learn about these billionaire capitalists, the less I like them.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: Right - who was that poster? He was brilliant.

He was like a Newcastle United EIM.
                                        Ian Cusack.

Comment

Carnivorous Vulgaris wrote: Wasn't that guy responsible for hounding off one of the board's longest contributors?
                                          Rogin is proving far more resilient.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: His original user name was ianc, but by the time he left it was InezBotcop something.

More than five years ago. How time flies.
                                            Who did he see off?

Comment

Relevant thread from 2009

Comment

Dragging the thread back on topic, this looks like having been a rather effective piece of campaigning journalism by the Guardian: condemnation of Ashley from numerous (including unexpected) quarters, political pressure for an HMRC investigation of minimum wage compliance and so on. Well done Guardian journalists.

Comment

Ashley is suing the Times.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X