No announcement yet.

Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shawcroft did her best to live up to stereotypes there. All that effort into winning an internal position of power, and be hopeless at it.

Comment

The original complaint about Bull seems to have been eceived a year ago, when Ann Black was doing the job. Quiet why it has been rattling on this long I do not know. I'd have thought it was pretty much a slum-dunk to get rid of the creep.

We don't know what information Shawcroft had or (does this sound familiar?) if she saw the image. It is quite conceivable she got a counter-complaint / massively self-justifying statement from Bull and responded to that. Though that might clear her of the charge of being a Fiendish Defender of the Anti-Semites, going off half-cocked might make her judgement rather suspect.

Comment

I think that's all reasonable, Lurgee. Shawcroft has now said she didn't see the original image - what I can't quite understand is how this sits with her claim in the email that the post was "taken completely out of context". How can she have known that without seeing the post and its context?

Comment

My reading of it is that Bull basically manipulated the situation - he saw a new appointee taking over Black's job, sent her a long, lachrymose letter about how hard done by he was, how the forces of Evil had brought him down just days from a famous victory, and she bought it, fired off an email to sort it out without really looking into it.

Comment

2,000 people have signed an anti Semitic letter to Corbyn about Monday's protest. Two thousand.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post
              My reading of it is that Bull basically manipulated the situation - he saw a new appointee taking over Black's job, sent her a long, lachrymose letter about how hard done by he was, how the forces of Evil had brought him down just days from a famous victory, and she bought it, fired off an email to sort it out without really looking into it.
              I can believe all that - but how could she be so stupid? She sent the email after the mural story broke! Was there nothing about the words "anti semitism complaint" that made her think, I'd better be really careful to get this one right? Or did she just think, "anti semitism complaint, that'll be bollocks like the rest of them"? Well, we'll never know. But she won't get the benefit of the doubt from me.
              Last edited by Lucy Waterman; 29-03-2018, 08:28.

Comment

Yeah I don't think her position is defensible. I despair sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                  2,000 people have signed an anti Semitic letter to Corbyn about Monday's protest. Two thousand.
                  Kick every single one of them out of the party (assuming they're members).

Comment

The letter is anti-semitic, or complaining about anti-semitism?

I'm starting to get confused.

Comment

The letter. "Very powerful special interest group" and all that.

Comment

Lucy is saying that the letter is anti-Semitic. I don't think that it is, though it is certainly problematic.

I think Lucy is spot on about Shawcross though.

Comment

And who are they?

Comment

I think the AS is deliberately deniable, but I can't read this any other way, in the context of a protest organised by Jewish groups.

Yesterday we witnessed the full onslaught of a very powerful special interest group mobilising its apparent, immense strength against you.

It is clear this group can employ the full might of the BBC to make sure its voice is heard very loudly and clearly. It is a shame not every special interest group can get the same coverage.

But, and it is a very big BUT, we live in a democracy, a one member one vote democracy and no special interest group, regardless of their history or influence, can be allowed to dictate who the rest of us can vote for or how we vote
                            They're a very powerful special interest group who control the media and have a "history". That's a lot of dog whistles.
                            Last edited by Lucy Waterman; 29-03-2018, 10:03.

Comment

It's Shawcroft (Christine), Etienne. You might be thinking of Val Shawcross, whose a diligent London government face.

Comment

Is "Very powerful special interest group" anti-Semitic? That is clearly the problematic line, but while it treads on very dodgy ground I'm not sure in itself it constitutes anti-Semitism. I mean saying AIPAC is a "very powerful special interest group" would be a statement of fact for the US.

Ill advised certainly, but I don't think you can do much about that sort of FB post.

Comment

The NS made that mistake too. Reminds me of the Owen Jones/Smith thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                    Is "Very powerful special interest group" anti-Semitic? That is clearly the problematic line, but while it treads on very dodgy ground I'm not sure in itself it constitutes anti-Semitism. I mean saying AIPAC is a "very powerful special interest group" would be a statement of fact for the US.

Ill advised certainly, but I don't think you can do much about that sort of FB post.
                                    For me, it's not simply that line, but that in combination with the running-the-media bit and the suggestion that this group is treated more favourably than other minorities, both of which are classic AS tropes.

Comment

Thanks Tubby.

LW, I think the "history" line was a ham-fisted way to say "despite their history of suffering" rather than "their history of malign influence behind the scenes".

But I agree it can be read both ways.

Comment

I'm not sure that the anti-semitism there is even deniable tbh. Seems pretty blatant to me, and I'm usually fairly skeptical about such claims.

Comment

I can believe all that - but how could she be so stupid? She sent the email after the mural story broke! Was there nothing about the words "anti semitism complaint" that made her think, I'd better be really careful to get this one right? Or did she just think, "anti semitism complaint, that'll be bollocks like the rest of them"? Well, we'll never know. But she won't get the benefit of the doubt from me.
                                          It looks like exactly this.

You can almost hear her brain whirring.

Comment

I think the AS is deliberately deniable, but I can't read this any other way, in the context of a protest organised by Jewish groups.

They're a very powerful special interest group who control the media and have a "history". That's a lot of dog whistles.
                                            They would actually be less antisemitic if they just flat out said "The Israel lobby". No one really denies its existence anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                              They would actually be less antisemitic if they just flat out said "The Israel lobby". No one really denies its existence anymore.
                                              That wouldn't be great either. Jews don't tend to like being told "it's really about Israel, isn't it?"

Comment

That's true and it is al;ways wise to try and avoid that connection (and it would have been problematic here, given that this is not about Israel)

However there is very definitely an Israel lobby, and it is not anti semitic to point that out, when it applies.

Comment

It was really, really stupidly worded. Now is not the time to be raving about shadowy elites working evil behind the scenes!

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                    That's true and it is al;ways wise to try and avoid that connection (and it would have been problematic here, given that this is not about Israel)

However there is very definitely an Israel lobby, and it is not anti semitic to point that out, when it applies.
                                                    Absolutely.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X