Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corb Blimey!

It was a different satirical world back then.

NSFW, I wouldn't have thought.

I suppose a difference is that Bird is (admittedly amongst other things) mocking Africans in general via their supposed pronunciation of English. Whereas Jan Ravens is just mocking the way Diane Abbot speaks, which isn't how black people in general (or indeed anyone else on the planet) speaks.

Doesn't excuse there being no joke though.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

All this is just further proof that impressionists are the lowest form of human being, save perhaps for jugglers.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

They're weirdly incapable of being funny on their own. Can't come up with gags to save their lives.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Lucy Waterman wrote: That Jan Ravens but is just cringey, though.
          There you go, judging women by their appearance again...

Comment

Corb Blimey!

From that Munchau piece pasted above by Nef

If the ruling Conservatives mess up Brexit
            WTF?

{edit: sorry, the WTF was aimed at "...which they just might", which I accidentally failed to include in my paste.] How do you define "mess up"? I mean, Brexit at best is hugely damaging, at worst is an absolute fucking catastrophe. And with the likes of B Johnson, Fox and other "hard" Brexiters spouting utterly deluded wishful thinking bollocks every day, you have to say things look likely to be at the worse end of the spectrum. Labour's inability under fuckwit Corbyn to counter that madness is one of the main reasons I can't support them any more (and I'm not saying the Labour right is any better, with Umunna and Reeves amongst others talking shit about Brexit).

Comment

Corb Blimey!

A leader from the centre could have imposed discipline more effectively than 500 time rebel Corbyn. The point about him is that he mucks stuff off his own bat all the time. The hint put out that he supports an early election is all too believable.

Corby happened for a reason and won again for a reason but I'd much rather he hadn't.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Lucy Waterman wrote: It was a different satirical world back then.

NSFW, I wouldn't have thought.

I suppose a difference is that Bird is (admittedly amongst other things) mocking Africans in general via their supposed pronunciation of English. Whereas Jan Ravens is just mocking the way Diane Abbot speaks, which isn't how black people in general (or indeed anyone else on the planet) speaks.

Doesn't excuse there being no joke though.
                There was a gag about her friend hatchet Harry.

I liked it.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

They are messing up- and will mess up Brexit, and as Muchau points out, Corbyn;'s policies are far more sensible.

If you want to maintain freedom of movement and Access tot he Common market then Corbyn seems the only game in town

Calling him "fuckwit" is just "fuckwittish" He was eleected labout leader because the" non fuckwit" candidates were abject, and utterly unable to give a straight answer to a straight question.

Which part of his policies do you object to EEG?

We would all rather things were different. I and I guess the entire City f London is now wishing that Ed Miliband won the last election but we are where we are. and that ought to mean backing Corbyn's Labour.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

They are messing up- and will mess up Brexit, and as Muchau points out,
                    You're missing my point. Munchau didn't say they will mess up, he said they "just might". Which is a ridiculous understatement of just how strongly the Government is very openly making a pig's ear of Brexit, with division in its own ranks and wishful thinking lies spilling out in all their public comment.

Corbyn, like many on the left and the right of Labour, is failing miserably, possibly not even seriously attempting, to call out the lies and false promises which have tricked the referendum electorate into the self-inflicted damage of the Brexit result. Apart from his EU policy (which is a pretty massive "apart from"), my main objection to him is not on policy but on leadership and presentation. The man is so manifestly lacking in leadership qualities, and so manifestly incapable of ever appealing to an electoral majority, that his presence in the leader role turns Labour from a potential government in waiting to a feelgood oh so sound protest movement. Fighting an interminable internal war.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                      There was a gag about her friend hatchet Harry.

I liked it.
                      In a spirit of unity I am prepared to accept that it was fine. We must turn our fire on the Tories, not cast members of Dead Ringers.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Nef, Corbyn has no interest in the Single Market. He's letting it go, unless McDonnell can rein him in, because he thinks the EU vote was a vote for protectionism and he's in the vanguard against "unaccountable neoliberalism". It's clueless. Humane, and fair play for that, but clueless.

The great party democrat leader doesn't seem to have asked the members about this policy either.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Munchau was writing a) for the Financial Times and b) before May's speech yesterday.

I thinK Corbyn's policy of vigorously defending the rights working people have from the EU (freedom of movement, workers' rights, envirnomental rights and otherwise laying low and waiting for the Tories to fuck u is not a bad one, myself.) i don't know how else to appeal both to remainers in the big cities and brexiters in the labour heartlands

Blaming him for fighting an internal war rather than accusing those who keep fighting and losing a war againtt him is abit rich, especially as they aren't capable of either putting up a serious candidate or proposing alternative- policies. (except the reactionary ant immigration ones of Rachel 'Reevers of Blood' Reeves)
                          Tubby I don't think you're rational where Corbyn is concerned. Sorry.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote:
                            Munchau didn't say they will mess up, he said they "just might". Which is a ridiculous understatement of just how strongly the Government is very openly making a pig's ear of Brexit, with division in its own ranks and wishful thinking lies spilling out in all their public comment.

Corbyn, like many on the left and the right of Labour, is failing miserably, possibly not even seriously attempting, to call out the lies and false promises which have tricked the referendum electorate into the self-inflicted damage of the Brexit result. Apart from his EU policy (which is a pretty massive "apart from"), my main objection to him is not on policy but on leadership and presentation. The man is so manifestly lacking in leadership qualities, and so manifestly incapable of ever appealing to an electoral majority, that his presence in the leader role turns Labour from a potential government in waiting to a feelgood oh so sound protest movement. Fighting an interminable internal war.
                            So manifestly lacking, he's been voted in twice by record margins within a year...
                            Hmm.

Where are all these other obvious candidates anyway?

And your answer is the incorrigible Lib Dems?
                            Yeah right. Good luck with that one!

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Nefertiti2 wrote: Munchau was writing a) for the Financial Times and b) before May's speech yesterday.

I thinK Corbyn's policy of vigorously defending the rights working people have from the EU (freedom of movement, workers' rights, envirnomental rights and otherwise laying low and waiting for the Tories to fuck u is not a bad one, myself.) i don't know how else to appeal both to remainers in the big cities and brexiters in the labour heartlands

Blaming him for fighting an internal war rather than accusing those who keep fighting and losing a war againtt him is abit rich, especially as they aren't capable of either putting up a serious candidate or proposing alternative- policies. (except the reactionary ant immigration ones of Rachel 'Reevers of Blood' Reeves)
                              He's not waiting for the Tories to fuck up, which would be the right thing to do. John Smith and early Blair did that very well as opposition leaders, because Major had won on low tax when he needed to raise them. I gather Corbyn wanted both of them out for their timidity.

If you blithely announce, as Corbyn did, that you'd pay Nissan to invest and anyone else you can extract a meaningless commitment on jobs from, you're off the deep end.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

That''s supposed to reassure me?

"Access" is meaningless. "Keep future trade agreements" even more so. "Membership" is what's needed. His state aid stuff elsewhere puts us outside it.

No sense of that at all. All questions are hypothetical if you're the leader of the opposition. He's set himself up for all round corporate shakedown. Compensation for Brexit is is like something the biggest critics of TTIP would imagine.

And nobody needs to "step up the pace". We need the dust to settle and hope a few Nissans and the City focus collective minds.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Hang on, when soft left spoofer Carwyn Jones voted against Plaid's motion and went with some mealy mouthed "access to single market" amdt you were full of excuses. There's nothing in the quote above that points to a concrete promise of compo. McDonnell should be able to row back easy enough with losing face.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Anybody can row back from anything, and a Q&A at Jarrow or anywhere else isnt binding. But the remarks are there on state aid, and that's what compensating Nissan is and he's accepting it. Instead of hammering the government, he typically rambles off into further speculation. On the day May announces hard Brexit too. She put it on a plate.

I'm very happy with McDonnell's position but Corbyn keeps on wit the same stuff Either he doesn't get it, or he's a useless communicator or he's on the way out of the Single Market. If I have to assume incompetence, then he shouldn't be leader. The same could be said for Jones now but at least he's won 2 election's.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

GCostanza wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss
                                      Munchau didn't say they will mess up, he said they "just might". Which is a ridiculous understatement of just how strongly the Government is very openly making a pig's ear of Brexit, with division in its own ranks and wishful thinking lies spilling out in all their public comment.

So manifestly lacking, he's been voted in twice by record margins within a year...
                                      Hmm.

Where are all these other obvious candidates anyway?
                                      He's inspired hundreds of thousands of people to join the Labour Party and get involved in politics for the first time. He's drawn crowds of many thousands in the rain.

I don't know what "leadership and presentation qualities" he's supposed to lack. Jabbing aggressively with the thumb, like everyone's least favourite middle manager, a la Owen Smith? No-one can "discipline" a Party where there is a conspiracy to get rid of the leader.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Whether you back Corbyn or not I think it's essential that all supporters of democracy from all parties should unite against what looks increasingly like a far right coup.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Nefertiti2 wrote:
                                          Blaming him for fighting an internal war rather than accusing those who keep fighting and losing a war against him is a bit rich, especially as they aren't capable of either putting up a serious candidate or proposing alternative- policies.

That last line is spot on and tarnishes his comments now, as they're not even remotely objective on that topic.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Are we doing this excellent reshuffle elsewhere?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Is this the bit where we're all supposed to go "Diane Abbot - lol!!!!!"?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Yes, you are supposed to.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

- Baroness Shami Chakrabarti, who became one of the party’s peers over the summer, as shadow attorney general

- Sarah Champion, who had left the shadow cabinet after the referendum but has come back as shadow women and equalities minister

- former health shadow secretary and major Corbyn ally Diane Abbott as shadow home secretary, replacing Andy Burnham

- Jo Stevens as shadow secretary of Wales

- Jonathan Reynolds as shadow economic secretary to the Treasury.

- Dawn Butler as shadow minister for diverse communities.

- Clive Lewis was announced as shadow business, energy & industrial strategy secretary. It was reported that he would be replaced as shadow defence minister by Nia Griffith,

- Keir Starmer was announced as the new shadow Brexit secretary.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X