No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd want to catch it in your glass rather than pick it up from the ground.

Comment

Yeah, we didn't let Master dglh eat the piece I brought in for him. It was a good storm though - I am trying to locate a picture that was on NBC of one of the funnels someone caught on camera. It is definitively "shit - that is big".

Comment

Comment

So, in like a lion where you are this morning?

Comment

I realise that this isn't going to come as a massive surprise, but: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68435197

Comment

That follows on from the driest every February last year followed by the wettest ever March also in 2023. I wonder what March 2024 will bring for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                That follows on from the driest every February last year followed by the wettest ever March also in 2023. I wonder what March 2024 will bring for us.

Well, if the forecasts are accurate, the first half of the month is looking pretty wet in the SE though interspersed with a few sunny days.

Comment

It's sunny, the palm trees are looking pretty but it's hazy this morning and I can only just see the mountains.

But there are showers forecast for the evening and through the night, so we are seeing part of this storm. Further north things are different. The latest forecast now talks of up to 12 feet of snow in places. For those of you who don't speak 19th century, that 3.5 meters of snow. In a single storm. And up at the crest of the hills at the Palisades resort in Tahoe, they seem to have recorded a 145mph gust. I hope nobody is stupid enough to think they should still be enjoying their ski trip this weekend and they all stayed home instead.

Comment

Just reading about 174mph wind gusts up there yesterday, wind speed expected to increase today...

Pretty insane stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                      Just reading about 174mph wind gusts up there yesterday, wind speed expected to increase today...

Pretty insane stuff
                      Yeah. It's worth remembering, though, that while these are hurricane strength gusts, it's not really hurricane force winds - it's high-ish winds that then get funneled up the valleys which accelerates up near the crest. Meanwhile, the UC Berkeley snow lab are reporting 101cm of snow so far from this storm, with another 2 days of storm to go. It might not actually hit the 10 foot forecast, but it's going to be a lot.

Comment

Our nephew and his girlfriend went up to Tahoe earlier this week "to experience the storm".

Young people are built different.

Comment

I hope they're OK. And I hope they stocked up their cabin/hotel room with several days worth of snacks.

Comment

They are and have

Comment

TV has just reported rain rates in the area of 5 inches an hour. It’s very wet. This is the storm that fucked me on my travel 2 days ago.

Comment

https://twitter.com/PGDynes/status/1772391876177395829?t=EvrYHjSUPSEdxX6luNDK1Q&s=19

Comment

What's "rainfall accumulation"?

Comment

How much rain falls

Comment

I don't think that graphic represents the past 12 months - it was the comment about water in the atmosphere that I was more interested in

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        I don't think that graphic represents the past 12 months - it was the comment about water in the atmosphere that I was more interested in

Ah, OK. The graphic made no sense when taking about annual precipitation, which was why I wondered if "rainfall accumulation" was some measure that I'd previously been unaware of.

Comment

Yeah, looking at the replies on Twitter someone queried the graphic.

EDIT - among lots of denialists taking the piss. "I thought we were supposed to be having droughts. Make your mind up LOL"

Comment

The poster appears to be using the term as a reference to the degree of saturation in the atmosphere, which is not a use I have encountered before (nor one that appears on a quick Google).

Comment

My sentiments exactly: https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/articles/c1e81510el3o

Comment

I liked it when it didn't rain for 4 months.

Comment

According to an article in today's Graun, despite all this rain we're going to have hosepipe bans etc this Summer. And that wasn't yesterday's April Fool.

Comment

It was a very clickbaity but the article only said we could still have droughts this summer, as we're not properly conserving winter rainfall.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X