Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    I wish I could live somewhere where 16 was always the maximum July temperature.
    Have you considered Edinburgh?

Comment

I think Thurso gets close. Record high temp 25 degrees, average July and August high 16.6. Average January low is above freezing as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurso

Comment

This country. In summer it's either pissing down and cold (ie today) or humid and way too hot for a country which has been designed around temperate weather.

Comment

Maybe you should live somewhere else. Oh...

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

The thermometer temperatures were all 39-41 C

Those listed were wet bulb temperatures, which are a different measure that takes humidity into account.

As the tweet said, one completely loses the ability to cool by sweating at a wet bulb temperature of approximately 95F.

It is really dangerous to be outside.
            That's also true of SWFL when it gets above 85F because the humidity adds another 10-15. I have no idea how the pioneers survived down here with no AC or insect repellant, especially the women in the Edwardian dress codes.

Then of course we have migrant workers out in the fields.

Greece, at least on the islands*, is far more bearable. In the early morning it's low 70s but with a breeze that makes it feel 5 degrees cooler. Evenings are also fine (doesn't feel more than 80 in the shade). Afternoons it hits 90 so we go inside, but it still doesn't kill you provided you don't walk bareheaded in the bright sun. You're not soaked in sweat because there's a breeze.

*Athens is a different story. I wouldn't walk in the city in July. A sauna.
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-07-2023, 17:41.

Comment

I love autumn days where it's pissing down outside. This is like October, it's great.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                I think Thurso gets close. Record high temp 25 degrees, average July and August high 16.6. Average January low is above freezing as well.

Been there, by train, that was a long journey...It was in early summer, never got proper dark, at 3am you could be outside reading a book...

Comment

Frankfurt is forecast to reach 39C (102F) on Sunday, according to Lufthansa, who have a screen in Athens airport.

Crete should stay around 30-32F but will feel 33-35F due to 55% humidity. Drinking lots of water.
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 06-07-2023, 16:17.

Comment

30-32C sounds more likely than 30-32F for Crete in July.

Comment

Very true.

Comment

Thanks a fucking bunch, weather. A week of weather that is completely acceptable for moving around in turns into a sticky inferno just in time for Trans Pride tomorrow, which I was really hoping to go to. Tomorrow it's supposed tobe like this with rain and I really don't think I can handle that. Arses.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

Thurso is a pretty smart place, I'd live there.

Comment

The lack of light in winter would get to me

Comment

It is the most annoying weather outside - hot, but lightly sptting with rain, so any washing that goes out will get a lovely film of water on it. And it's humid, just the worst.

Either bloody rain or don't, you indecisive natural phenomenon!

Edit: There's not a breath of air, either. Still and flat.
                              Last edited by Eggchaser; 08-07-2023, 09:27.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                The lack of light in winter would get to me
                                I'm not much of a one for light.

Comment

Remember when we were joking about Sporting needing a snow blower: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-66140574

Comment

https://twitter.com/CC_StormWatch/status/1678172957930127360?s=20

Comment

Himachal Pradesh: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-india-66151375

Comment

The capital of Vermont is under water

https://twitter.com/bclemms/status/1678704653108920322?t=XPX4A_eUIYdMVbUEZLWp5A&s=19

Comment

Very warm in Italy, even up here in the mountains it still is very muggy and not very pleasant after 10pm. It feels like a thunderstorm is brewing but right now, just a few drops...

Comment

Well, last night was absolutely epic and it was pretty much non-stop lightning and thunder until 8am...It looks like the show is back on this evening...

Comment

I spoke to my sister in Prince Edward Island today. It's currently extremely humid and windless there. Given it's location — a small island on the Atlantic coast — these conditions are pretty much unknown. The Province's economy pretty much survives on Summer visitors, so potentially it's a disaster. Added to that the permanent population leans toward the elderly, but there's a serious shortage of medical practitioners (most have retired!) My sister, for example, hasn't had a GP for over six months. Presently many people are reliant on medical call-in shows on local radio for advice.

Comment

The heatwave in southern Europe is a little worrying. We have a few walking tours planned between now and Aug 1st.

Comment

45° the other day in Cordoba.

Comment

Went into the pictures at 7 last night and when we came out there was loads of surface water and the drive home was through really deep puddles on Byker Bridge and beyond, so we must've missed a spectacular storm.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X