No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last measurable snow here was Jan 2018. Before that it was Feb 2010.

The last time it snowed in San Diego was 1967.

The last time it snowed at the Massachusetts house was yesterday.

Comment

Pictures of a cloud seen in Bursa (Türkiye) yesterday
      IMG_20230124_175004.jpg

Comment

Awesome! Lenticular cloud, apparently, often mistaken for UFOs, there's a brief Wiki page on them. Looks more dramatic than the usual because of the sunset colouring.

On the other hand, that's probably what the aliens would put on Wikipedia, isn't it?

Comment

Nope.

Comment

The Facebook post I took it from said "people are comparing it to a UFO", but the comments make it clear that this is not what most people are comparing it to

​​​​​

Comment

An interesting fact that has escaped me until it was pointed out to me on a weather forum, there has been no named storm by the Met Office so far this season. It shows how relatively quiet the Atlantic has been

Comment

https://twitter.com/nwseastern/status/1621682664917942273?s=61&t=PixTptjhGGbohwr8Jt-YDw

Comment

https://twitter.com/nymetrowx/status/1626006409706975256?s=61&t=QPG2nCs40XUZ7vCDHI2diQ

Comment

Whenever I hear about unusual weather in NYC, I hear Mrs Dreyfuss telling CC Baxter "Some weather we're having. Must be all the meshuggaas at Cape Canaveral!"

Comment

I think it more likely than not that there is still at least one person who has uttered just those words this year, though they are statistically more likely to have moved to Florida.

Comment

We are going back there this weekend birdwatching (the FL one) and expect it to be in the 50s early mornings rising to 75-80 by midday. This is about 5 degrees lower on average than SWFL, partly because of Atlantic v Gulf Coast effects.

Comment

There's only one bird in Florida?

Comment

Yes, as rare as a good striker at Chelsea.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              Yes, as rare as a good striker at Chelsea.

Ouch!

Comment

After having been 70 F (21 C) yesterday, it is now a degree or two below freezing here.

Comment

Not snow, that's expected tomorrow, just frozen seawater. But unusual in these parts, especially at this time of year

Comment

NWS San Diego issued its first ever blizzard warning yesterday. It's not actually for San Diego county - the office also covers Riverside and San Bernardino counties which is where the blizzards are forecast, up in the mountains above LA around Big Bear. Still, it's the first time ever.

Comment

My ex-co-worker in the Santa Cruz mountains had a few inches of snow.
                                      My kids are very upset that we had none at all, not even stuff that didn't settle.

Comment

https://twitter.com/yosemitenps/status/1630735377639120896?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

The top left photo of that tweet suggests that some unfortunate soul was trapped in the men's toilet while the snow fell and now has no way to escape. Or how else would you get that photo?

Comment

Comment

It's bush fire season in SWFL and one came to my county yesterday, closing down the road that runs past my home for two hours. Fortunately I was home for the evening and our windows are always closed so no smoke could get in. We lost some Internet but the power stayed on.

Much of Florida will live in this precarious position until probably mid-June.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-03-2023, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                It's bush fire season in SWFL and one came to my county yesterday, closing down the road that runs past my home for two hours. Fortunately I was home for the evening and our windows are always closed so no smoke could get in. We lost some Internet but the power stayed on.

Much of Florida will live in this precarious position until probably mid-June.
                                                Are these fires inevitable, is enough money and resources spent on prevention, is climate change mainly to blame? And many other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

The top left photo of that tweet suggests that some unfortunate soul was trapped in the men's toilet while the snow fell and now has no way to escape. Or how else would you get that photo?
                                                  Some of those bathrooms have multiple entrances

Comment

The fires are actually necessary ecologically to replace dead vegetation so that fresh shoots can grow. Fire prevention actually goes against nature in that sense and is purely to protect human property.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X