No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great example of Bay Area microclimates, as Pacifica was high 70s, here in the East Bay it got to high 80s, then over the ridge, things rapidly got worse, with Livermore checking in at 108. You can draw a straight line through all of those and it would be 40 miles long.

ETA: My bad, Livermore got up to 116 apparently.
    Last edited by scratchmonkey; 06-09-2022, 04:02.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
      Pretty sure we had big thunder last night. And I think I just saw some lightning.
      The biggest strikes I've ever seen and heard in my life. I never knew a rumble of thunder could last that long.

Comment

It has been raining all day, but not been torrential

A town in the Hudson Valley, however, got 4.4 inches of rain in less than 12 hours

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
          Must say that the weather in SE England is a bit odd at the moment.

For more than a week now we've had substantially overcast days, often with what look like dark rain clouds. But it rarely rains. It's also much warmer outside than it looks and often quite humid, which again might (wrongly on this occasion) lead you to expect some stormy weather.

It's all slightly disconcerting.

So, we had a thunderstorm within 12 hours of me posting this comment, another a day later and intermittent heavy showers ever since.

Comment

https://twitter.com/billmckibben/status/1571616632702631940?t=NRxAHO5Uf_7pzaxu9_ZmKQ&s=19

Comment

We're on hurricane watch (current path is over central FL but we'd get rain from it).

Comment

Yeah. I saw that you were in the firing line of the new storm. It's quite a long way out right now, isn't it, so everything's pretty uncertain. Stay safe if it comes your way.

In much milder news, the outer bands of the remnants on Fiona are meant to pass our way tomorrow which means that my Saturday bike ride might be heavy going with some 20mph winds.

Comment

PEI is getting the final throes of Fiona. 125mm of rain and 144km winds according to my sister.

Comment

Looking at the most recent forecasts from NHC the good news is that it looks like Hurricane Satchmo is tracking a bit further north away from Satchmo. The bad news is that means it’s closer to the more populated Tampa metro, and even worse news is that the forecast now has it strengthening to Category 3 rather than the Cat 1 that was forecast a couple of days ago.

It’s actually a beautiful sunny autumn day here, but we are still feeling the outer gusts triggered by Fiona. Nothing much more than 20mph, so just a bit of a slog for the last 25 miles on the bike and a few leaves blown off the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                      so just a bit of a slog for the last 25 miles on the bike
                      Phrases such as this one depress me. Last 25 miles? I never reach that in total.

Comment

Comment

Why does Ian seem such an odd name for a storm?

Comment

There's not that many common first names familiar to the majority of a mainly English-speaking nation beginning with "I" in comparison to a lot of other letters; they had to get round to Ian eventually, I suppose.

Comment

Fingers crossed that JVL and his loved ones dodged Fiona's fury.

Comment

The only American Ian listed on Wiki that I'd heard of is the son of Frank Zappa, better known as Dweezil, although there's also a famous surname, Janis Ian, and some sportsmen who might be famous to people who follow their sports. I'd have expected more American Ian's if the derivation is from Hebrew via Gaelic.

The storm is tracking farther west as of the last update, which would probably spare us.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-09-2022, 00:48.

Comment

Ian Bremmer is a well known foreign policy analyst who is frequently on television

Ian Eagle is a well known sport broadcaster and the voice of the Brooklyn Nets

Ian Frazier is a long time New Yorker humor writer

The name's popularity here increased with exposure to British culture. All three of those guys were born in the late 60s.

Comment

I’ve taught a number of Ian’s over the years. Can remember at least one Nigel, and a couple of Colin’s as well

Comment

In your current state of residence?

Comment

Yep.

Comment

My uncle is an Ian.

Comment

My son has a friend named Ian.

Comment

How about Iain?

Comment

I have a friend called Iain. And I have another friend called Ian. So Iain was always known as "Iain with two eyes".

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                  Fingers crossed that JVL and his loved ones dodged Fiona's fury.
                                                  I spoke with him Wednesday as he was battening down the hatches, and he's just now told me they didn't even lose power. So he's caught a lucky break.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X