Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You can *still* buy that? Who'da thunk it …

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They did a Terry's Chocolate Raspberry in the 90s. I tried one. It was foul.

Comment

Both these are still going.

Loved 'em:

Hated 'em:

Comment

I still (ir)regularly buy both.

Comment

For goodness' sake don't try to eat both at once Jah, the deadly exothermic reaction could blow your lower jaw clean off.

Comment

Thanks EVA, I'll bear that in mind.

As a liquorice/aniseed-diehard, I've always been fonder of the humble Victory V, but you can't always find those. Your Fisherman's Friend is widely available throughout the UK.

Comment

Are they that hard to find then? It feels like I seem to notice them everywhere, which is odd as I've never had one in my life, nor have the slightest inclination to as I'm a dyed-in-the-wool aniseed/liquorice detester. Out of interest, as I know FF are available in several different flavours for the benefit of the similarly-minded, do VVs only come in the hardcore original?

Comment

I thought the Victory V was some kind of pumice based soap.

Fisherman's Friend, we have.

Comment

Victory V makes me think of Victory Gin and Victory Cigarettes in 1984.

Comment

Haha, no they're strongly-flavoured liquorice throat lozenges; allegedly they are edible, though they certainly don't look it. They smell offputtingly 'chemical' to those agnostic to their charms, like me: apparently the original mid-19th century version contained ether and chloroform, 'therapeutic' ingredients that tend to be frowned upon nowadays so the modern version contains neither, needless to say, but their distinctive traditional aroma (and I presume flavour) is still lovingly recreated by artificial means.

Comment

It never occurred to me what was in Victory V, I just always liked them. I'm not a big liquorice eater and I hadn't noticed that flavour especially. They just tasted of... Victory V.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: Is that really your favourite book on your profile, Toby?
                        I'll give you one guess.

Comment

Working...
                        X