Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam
    replied
    I was just scrolling down World, wondering where the thread was for the find. I still reckon it merits its own thread really. When I woke up today I did my normal check of emails and WhatsApps and scroll through Twitter all none the wiser, then came through to the living room, switched the computer on and opened my browser, and was hit by the picture of the stern on one of the news sites. What a thing! You can imagine the searchers watching the footage from the robot as the stern with the star and ENDURANCE across it in still-shiny brass loomed up. As my best mate said, it's better than Erebus and Terror really, because it's still in such astonishing condition. And they found it on the centenary of Shackleton's funeral! I've watched a few videos on YouTube from people on the expedition who were getting worried they'd been looking for too long and time was running out for this season, but what a perfect day for the search to end.

History Hit (Dan Snow's YouTube channel and online history documentary streaming service) is surely going to have some good stuff coming up soon.

Oh, and if anyone wants a gorgeous new desktop background (or, as in my case, pictures to add to their desktop gallery), the official expedition website has links at the bottom of its announcement blog post to WeTransfer folders containing some.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/thehistoryguy/status/1501461782296203265?t=FpTPjBG8sNb07ujk4yakbQ&s=19

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    I wonder when Shackleton was freezing his bollocks off on that trip did he imagine that all likely human settlement and activity on the moon would take place in the Shackleton crater.

Also poor amundsen. No-one cares about dull Scandinavian efficiency

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Just astounding, especially its condition

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Ship of the day? Endurance ... lovely photos here:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nd-in-pictures

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Inappropriate cargo ship

IMG_20220302_085034~2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Yeah, I got a letter about it the other week.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Lockwood for Netflix according to my neighbour.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Oh, wait, now that I think about it, there's some TV show being filmed at the riverbank this week, it's probably related to that. God knows what the rainbow lights are for though.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Any idea what's going on here?

There's another strip of lights at the top of Admiral's Tower.

They were doing something with bright lights yesterday evening and I assumed it was in preparation for a ship coming in. But there's no ship today and now the lights are doing the rainbow cycling thing, which presumably isn't for navigation.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Evidently it's environmentally-friendly.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    You have to look carefully to tell which way it's going...

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    understated, just like its owner.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    $250million, 119 metre superyacht belonging to Jerry Jones of that there Dallas Cowboys spotted at anchor in Plymouth Sound earlier

And as I couldn't get much closer than the Camber End (mainly because I didn't have my keys and really couldn't be arsed to walk quarter of a mile back to the office), what it actually looks like:

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    That’s a whopper.

Leave a comment:

• tuckwat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Interesting Brazilian research vessel in the Hudson this afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    We have an interesting visitor to the Thames estuary today, the MV Patricia is moored up, the vessel does maintenance work on buoys, towing, wreck location and marking, research, guard duties for pipe laying duties and lots more. Possibly it is sheltering away from the storms that are going to hit the east coast overnight.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Look at the aft on that:

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Not a great shot of Boaty McBoatface but she arrived in the late afternoon and is huge, I'm not sure what size I was expecting to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Apparently Boaty McBoatface is going to be in Greenwich from this evening.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Very pretty. The Jersey bank of the river looks different in your photo to how I remember it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X