Wearing pyjamas/dressing gowns outside the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Socks on hardwood and tile can be a bit hazardous, though. I normally go barefoot, but on those chilly 50 degree mornings, I wear my slippers.

Fussbudget wrote: I had a friend at school (and indeed uni) who used to have a bath every day. Can't imagine what his parents' water bill must have looked like.
    I believe that baths (provided you only fill the tub once) save more water than most showers do.

Comment

La Lanterne Rouge wrote: Socks are, indeed, the reason slippers are bizarre and redundant. If your feet are cold, wear socks. If your feet aren't cold, go barefoot.
      You'll go through a lot of socks if you wear them like slippers, especially if the floors are uncarpeted.

Comment

I used to go barefoot in the house, but no matter how often you clean the house (and in my case it's really not that often to begin with), you always end up with bits of dust/crumbs/gravel sticking to your feet by the end of the day. My footwear of choice in the house when it's too warm to wear socks is now a pair of Birkenstocks and I don't care who knows it.

I don't think I've had a bath in 15 years. (Feel free to insert your own punchline.)

Comment

Also, wearing socks and slippers together is both warmer and more comfy than just socks. FYI, like.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: I used to go barefoot in the house, but no matter how often you clean the house (and in my case it's really not that often to begin with), you always end up with bits of dust/crumbs/gravel sticking to your feet by the end of the day. My footwear of choice in the house when it's too warm to wear socks is now a pair of Birkenstocks and I don't care who knows it.
            Birks are supposedly trendy again, or so I've heard. I loved the pair that I had in high school/college, but haven't gotten any since, just too expensive. I'm happy with my Reefs flip flops.

Comment

I wear a pair of these Hawaiian things around the house and on the deck. The back folds down so they slip on easily if that's your thing.

Barefeet are simply not an option — for reasons fussbudget gives. Neither is wearing outdoor shoes. We're two hundred yards from the beach, the floors would look like the Sonoran desert inside of a week.

Comment

A bath before breakfast is astonishing. That's dedication to a routine.
                Why do you say that? Also, it's not particularly routine driven. It's just a pleasant way to ease into the day. Sometimes I'll make coffee before the bath. But I'll rarely cook breakfast before it.

Comment

I slipped on a friend's highly polished wooden floor when walking around in my stockinged feet, and just missed smacking my head on his stone fireplace. Actually smacked my temple on his door. Wish I'd sued him, as it was actually an accident that wasn't my fault. #icerink #hurtyhead #sniff

Comment

Sits wrote: Three Times A Reddy, earlier:
                    Who hacked me? Seriously, how did you get that picture? I've not got anything on the cloud...

BTW I only wear boxers while sleeping - unless I'm ill in which case I'll wear an old T-shirt as well.

I have not owned a pair of pyjamas since I was eight (there exists somewhere a photo of me and my brother wearing matching PJs - mum had a thing about dressing us identically until he started secondary school even though he's 2 years older - sat in front of the telly watching the 1990 World Cup final) and the last slippers I had were bought as a present by my nan. They were never worn as they were a size 7 and my feet are a 9 1/2.

Comment

I have three pairs of slippers. One at home, one at our mam's, one round my mate's house.

Comment

Socks are, indeed, the reason slippers are bizarre and redundant. If your feet are cold, wear socks. If your feet aren't cold, go barefoot.
                        There is some weird sh*t being spoken on this thread, and no mistake.

If you walk about the house in socks/stockings, expect an injury of some description - whether along the lines of MsD's (for which, I imagine, any legal bod would likely hold the un-shoed individual responsible) or at the very least the severe (and regular) stubbing of toes. Put something on your feet, for Christ's sake, this isn't the Neolithic Era.

Comment

Finally, a bit of sense.

(And just 5,648 posts in...)

Comment

I must be slipping.

(No doubt you'll see what I did there.)

Comment

Slippers aren't exactly going to protect against stubbed toes.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                                Socks are, indeed, the reason slippers are bizarre and redundant. If your feet are cold, wear socks. If your feet aren't cold, go barefoot.

If you walk about the house in socks/stockings, expect an injury of some description - whether along the lines of MsD's (for which, I imagine, any legal bod would likely hold the un-shoed individual responsible) or at the very least the severe (and regular) stubbing of toes. Put something on your feet, for Christ's sake, this isn't the Neolithic Era.
                                There's an expectation when you enter someone's house that you'll remove your shoes, or at least offer to. (Except in the UK, which is weird that way.) So there are occasions when bare feet or socks are the only option.

Comment

MsD wrote: If you live in a flat, especially one with wooden floors, slippers (rather than shoes) indoors are a courtesy to your neighbours. The clatter of shoes (even trainers) on a wooden floor above your head is horrible.
                                  We've done a slippers thread before and this opinion was the unarguable result of it.

I wear a pair of Primark trackies and a t-shirt to eat breakfast, sometimes a hooded Al Ahly sweatshirt if it's really cold. I've lived in houses without central heating, and come winter you have to wear pyjamas in bed, otherwise you'll never be able to get out of it. If the house I live in has central heating, then I sleep in birthday suit.

Comment

On the one hand, I cannot for the life of me imagine why - or even how - people care what clothes other people wear.

On the other hand, flip-flops and cut-off jeans are abominations.

(Wearing clothes in bed is weird. And indoors means barefoot.)

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                      A bath before breakfast is astonishing. That's dedication to a routine.
                                      Why do you say that? Also, it's not particularly routine driven. It's just a pleasant way to ease into the day. Sometimes I'll make coffee before the bath. But I'll rarely cook breakfast before it.
                                      I'm just an astonishingly lazy person in the mornings. The idea of going to the lengths of running a bath in the mornings fills me with horror as I imagine the amount of bed-time you must lose.

Just thinking about the slippers thing, while I would never buy my own, I was genuinely chuffed to find they provide you with free basic sets in every Japanese hotel & airline (or at least all the ones I've been to/on). That might just be giddiness at getting free stuff though.

Anyway. You lot seem seriously accident-prone. I've not worn anything but socks indoors for years now, and I've never fractured my spine on a mantlepiece or anything.

Comment

Taking a morning bath. Breakfast being ruined when not consumed while in pyjamas. Cooking breakfast. Walking outside in slippers and morning attire. So many exotic things on this thread. I'll take it as an opportunity to celebrate diversity.

My morning routine:
                                        0. roll around in my bed for a bit longer than planned
                                        1. fall out of bed
                                        2. take a shower
                                        3. get dressed
                                        4. have breakfast
                                        5. brush teeth, and shave
                                        6. walk to work
                                        If the prelude in step 0 has taken too much time, I may skip step 5. Also, breakfast consists of bread rolls with cheese or cold cuts, and a large glass of cold milk. If step 0 has taken seriously far too much time, the bread rolls may need to be taken along for consumption during step 6 (which may be edited to "drive to work" if I've shamefully overdone step 0, which happens far too often these cold January days).

Step 0 and everything from step 4 onwards can be compressed or modified, but steps 1-3 are ironclad. Main reason is that doing anything before having my morning shower is a recipe for disaster; I'm an evening person to such an extent that a pre-shower Smallcaps cannot be held responsible for, or capable of, anything at all.

If no shower is available, replace step 2 with copious amounts of strong coffee. Liberally sprinkle the remaining steps with bad temper.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:

Savages. Fucking savages.

Comment

TonTon wrote: On the one hand, I cannot for the life of me imagine why - or even how - people care what clothes other people wear.

On the other hand, flip-flops and cut-off jeans are abominations.

(Wearing clothes in bed is weird. And indoors means barefoot.)
                                            Nice driving. High road to low road to ditch in no time, flat.

Comment

steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                                              Originally posted by MsD
                                              If you live in a flat, especially one with wooden floors, slippers (rather than shoes) indoors are a courtesy to your neighbours. The clatter of shoes (even trainers) on a wooden floor above your head is horrible.
                                              We've done a slippers thread before and this opinion was the unarguable result of it.

I wear a pair of Primark trackies and a t-shirt to eat breakfast, sometimes a hooded Al Ahly sweatshirt if it's really cold. I've lived in houses without central heating, and come winter you have to wear pyjamas in bed, otherwise you'll never be able to get out of it. If the house I live in has central heating, then I sleep in birthday suit.
                                              It's usually women who talk sense on threads like this.

Comment

I'm just an astonishingly lazy person in the mornings. The idea of going to the lengths of running a bath in the mornings fills me with horror as I imagine the amount of bed-time you must lose.
                                                Think of bath time as alternative bed time. And you can stay in bed while it runs.

Comment

via vicaria wrote: I've not worn anything but socks indoors for years now
                                                  Wahey!

Comment

You said it.

Slippers aren't exactly going to protect against stubbed toes.
                                                    So wear shoes if you're that accident prone. (I mean, seriously...)

And what's all this guff about 'breakfast being ruined while you're in the shower'? You make the breakfast after you've showered.

Guys. This ain't rocket salad.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X