Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking in a winter wonderland?

Listening to the radio last night -

Apparently, if the temperature drops to below - 10 °C, you can't make snowballs (and consequently snowmen) as the snow won't bind together being too dry

This is one of the reasons there's no history of the Inuit having built snowmen, despite their long association with the Arctic.

It also makes it difficult to ski/sledge, allegedly.

I can confirm that dry snow is almost unsnowballable. You have to compress it a lot to make it work. But I'm not convinced that this is a function of temperature, merely of the ambient humidity (I mean I haven't read anything about it, but this is my own experience of living somewhere very cold but dry).

Comment

ad hoc wrote: ...But I'm not convinced...
      It is a bit counterInuituitive.

Back to work filling the crackers...

Comment

ad hoc wrote: I can confirm that dry snow is almost unsnowballable. You have to compress it a lot to make it work. But I'm not convinced that this is a function of temperature, merely of the ambient humidity (I mean I haven't read anything about it, but this is my own experience of living somewhere very cold but dry).
        apparently it's the humidity that's a factor - which is affected by the air temperature.

Wasn't really listening, as I was drifting in and out of sleep with the radio on - but it's something to do with the Germans having two words for snow, - "dry snow", and "wet snow".

And that there's a "snowman belt" around the world south of which it doesn't snow enough to be able to build snowmen, and north of which "it's too cold" - & that snowmen aren't a purely western european tradition.

Comment

This is one of the reasons there's no history of the Inuit having built snowmen, despite their long association with the Arctic.
          There are other reasons? Do they bar representations of humans/animals? Was there a hated sect of snowman-making Inuit that was airbrushed from history?

Comment

The inuit build Inukshuks to represent people. They're made of rock, and are (more) permanent.

This thread is fantastic, btw.

Comment

They've been banned since the mid 80's. Something to do with Aled Jones being seen as the devil by certain sects of the Inuit culture.

Comment

Guy Potger wrote: Apparently, if the temperature drops to below - 10 °C, you can't make snowballs (and consequently snowmen)
                Presumably you can still make snowwomen then?

Comment

Comment

WOM wrote: The inuit build Inukshuks to represent people. They're made of rock, and are (more) permanent.

This thread is fantastic, btw.
                    and a deterrent to the curmudgeons and misanthropes who kick down snow[strike]men[/strike]people.

Comment

More importantly, why are days of the week and months proper nouns, and seasons not?

Comment

I was taught that they are.

Comment

I wish I could find the photo TLMG took of me about 5 years ago, standing in the car park outside our old flat, beside a huge cock 'n' balls I'd thoughtfully drawn in the snow with my shoe. I looked so proud.

Oh well, I guess great art is temporary.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: I was taught that they are.
                            They were much more of a mystery back then. Like stars...and fire.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: I was taught that they are.
                              Yeah. I thought so too. But modern usage seems to be not to capitalize them.

So that made me doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                              X