Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA Presidential election 2016

Hugs, Reed.

2018 starts fucking now. Someone needs to beg Axelrod or someone who knows what the hell they're doing to tell them what to do now. 2018 better be like 2006.

Comment

Hot Pepsi wrote: That buys into the idea that this is about economics. The data don't really support that. It's about ignorance and racism.
      Michigan voters elected Obama and his "Change You Can Believe In/Hope" platform by double digits.

Comment

Comment

Detailed stuff on voter suppression laws

14 states, huh. And that doesn't include NC's brand of voter suppression. Bloody hell.

Comment

As usual, I'm with Amor

This will play out like Brexit.

We will have a spike in attacks on "the other" (much scarier here because of 300+ million guns), then we will have a backlash, as the Trump voters come to realise that all of his promises are hollow.

Comment

I'm feeling low but I want this event to be transformative. I might mobilize, I dunno. Maybe you should too Reed. Don't off yourself ffs, you're brilliant.

Amor, I just don't trust anything Trump said or promised about any of that stuff. He's a pathological liar with no convictions beyond the need to aggrandize himself. He'll cave to Congress because they'll have him by the balls, as long as he gets to look strong and presidential. Now granted, he might manage to start a war all by himself, but that's a separate issue (more or less).

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Hang in there, man

We love you
                Thanks. I need it. Love you all too.

Going to just focus on my dog and work and my health for a while. Going to read Walden a few times.

Also, and this might be the wrong time to say this, but it's shit like this that draws me to Christianity. Proper Christianity, not this bullshit that calls itself that.

Early Christians were living in a horrible empire and believed they were in the end times. I can relate to that. Even though I'm like a Roman citizen. So was Paul, probably.

Comment

Hot Pepsi wrote: I just want to say how good it is to have you all. I think I'd be suicidal without this little community. As it is, I'm feeling as low as I have since I was properly suicidal. So, thanks, everybody.
                  What ursus said - hang in there, Reed. It's good to have you around too.

Comment

linus wrote:
                    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi
                    That buys into the idea that this is about economics. The data don't really support that. It's about ignorance and racism.
                    Michigan voters elected Obama and his "Change You Can Believe In/Hope" platform by double digits.
                    The question there might be how many ignorant racists couldn't be bothered to vote for MittBot the Mormon. We're seeing some record turnout from what I understand.

Comment

That was a nice environment we had...

Comment

linus wrote:
                        Originally posted by Hot Pepsi
                        That buys into the idea that this is about economics. The data don't really support that. It's about ignorance and racism.
                        Yeah, but surely turnout is a big part of that. So it's not the same people.

Besides racism isn't consistent. They'd vote for a black guy who went to Harvard Law and speaks well, but still want somebody to beat down the Mexicans, the Muslims, and the "inner city thugs."

My grandparents, for example, loved the "good black people" in their neighborhood, but were super-scared and prejudiced against the black people in the rougher parts of Cincinnati. This isn't uncommon or hard to grasp.

Just because somebody voted for Obama doesn't mean they arent super racist. Why does nobody get that?

Comment

Eggchaser wrote: That was a nice environment we had...
                          That's one area where Clinton wouldn't be much better, probably.

And if we get the backlash we want, we can get some better governors who can help out on that issue.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: As usual, I'm with Amor

We will have a spike in attacks on "the other" (much scarier here because of 300+ million guns), then we will have a backlash, as the Trump voters come to realise that all of his promises are hollow.
                            We'll also have an immediate repudiation of the Paris agreement. And how bout that Supreme Court. We're so long-term fucked.

I'm definitely glass half empty toward this talk about a relatively quick recovery from Trump. This is a ridiculously corrosive development for our whole system of government.

Comment

Hot Pepsi wrote: Just because somebody voted for Obama doesn't mean they arent super racist. Why does nobody get that?
                              Yeah exactly. "Tell the canvasser at the door we're voting for the n*****."

Comment

Whoa, North Carolina

McCrory might not be out of the woods yet.

Comment

Pennsylvania wins it for Trump.

8% to go, A 2k lead for Trump.

Comment

Bruno wrote:
                                    Originally posted by ursus arctos
                                    As usual, I'm with Amor

We'll also have an immediate repudiation of the Paris agreement. And how bout that Supreme Court. We're so long-term fucked.

I'm definitely glass half empty toward this talk about a relatively quick recovery from Trump. This is a ridiculously corrosive development for our whole system of government.
                                    Assuming the Democrats don't pull out all the stops to prevent the next nominee, we'll still just be back where we were with Scalia.

Oh yeah, it's terrible. But things have been terrible before. Humanity is terrible and progress happens one funeral at a time.

Comment

Gerontophile wrote: Pennsylvania wins it for Trump
                                      I feel guilty.

Fuck.

But I just saw that Trump got votes in Philly where Romney got none. It's not just the Pennsyltucky rednecks. It's the assholes in the jorts and Michael Vick jerseys and Yinzers who think high school football is important.

I love this land. The land itself. The people have ruined it.

Comment

What I am most looking forward to in the next few weeks is the inevitable backlash against "the left" by the liberal establishment punderati.

Comment

Hang in there Reed, you guys are headed to the Rose Bowl this season. I'd kill for that alone! =)

Comment

linus wrote: Hang in there Reed, you guys are headed to the Rose Bowl this season. I'd kill for that alone! =)
                                            Could happen! Remarkable

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: What I am most looking forward to in the next few weeks is the inevitable backlash against "the left" by the liberal establishment punderati.
                                              They now represent basically nobody. Who will listen to them now?

Comment

Good grief.

I'm going to hide under my duvet now. I might come out again in 2018.

Comment

Even Pennsylvania is going the wrong way.

This guy literally just went around talking like a fascist. And you know I'm not exaggerating there. And he won.

Comment

Fuck you James Comey.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X