Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up and down sort of day

Had two texts within the last hour.

Text 1 - a schoolfriend has given birth to her second child. Mother and baby are doing fine.

Text 2 - the husband of a uni friend has unexpectedly dropped dead of a heart attack. He was in his mid-40s and seemingly fighting fit. To make matters worse the Uni friend was in Britain for work, and Husband and pre-teen Daughter in the USA. Daughter found her Dad, but for reasons that second hand reporting has made unclear was on her own for a number of hours before anyone else knew there was an issue.

No longer the run-of-the-mill Sunday I was expecting it to be.

Up and down sort of day

Blimey. Puts your undoubted disappointment about the tennis being called off into perspective, doesn't it.

Comment

Up and down sort of day

Well, yes.

The husband of the schoolfriend that has given birth is also a friend of very long standing(in fact I've known him longer than her). They live nearby. He may well ring up wanting a celebratory drink. That would be a dilemma. I don't really feel up for it, but couldn't turn him down. But equally I don't want to go out and be distant.
      Explaining why doesn't seem an option. When someone is a new father the last thing they want to hear about is another father who has died young. Particularly if said new father is quite a heavy drinker and smoker.

So fingers crossed that he doesn't call.

Comment

Working...
      X