No announcement yet.

Irish Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a question we've been asking ourselves over here ever since the 2016 campaign

Comment

Hearing all sorts of horrific stuff from my north of Ireland-based sister on the conduct of the No campaign - from simple tearing down of posters to the sinister presence of US fundamentalists all about the place

Comment

Naomi O'Leary and Tim McInerney cover the Ref in their latest podcast

https://theirishpassport.com/

Destroying/ covering posters is hardly horrific- doesn't everybody do it? And the fundies surely won't swing the result, not in the New post-religious rainbow-diverse economically utopian Ireland that Berba keeps writing about...

Comment

Reg- let's hope they get a big fine for electoral fraud as well as a good beating

Comment

Mate heard a gaggle of students earnestly discussing how they should vote on the bus yesterday. That’s really ducking worrying to me, if posh female Trinners students with their inflected fucking accent are still undecided/swaying to no.

Comment

Why assume posh people will be progressive on these matters?

Comment

I don’t. But from experience abortion is more likely to occur among the middle classes, especially in Ireland with the money and travel factor. More pertinently they were Dubs under 30, which should be the core Repeal vote.

Comment

It's the people without money who've the most to gain from a Yes vote. This is a class issue as well as a gender politics one

Comment

I agree. I hope to fuck the turnout is high in Tallaght/Coolock etc.
                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 09-05-2018, 22:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                      Google have banned all online ads pertaining to the Abortion Referendum across all of their platforms, including YouTube. This follows Facebook banning ads funded by foreign sources. Both are welcome developments considering the amount of spending by the No campaign on digital advertising and the source of much of its funding.
                      When does the ban start because I’ve seen at least 5 on YouTube today for the No campaign?

Comment

Almost fell off my seat when one came on YouTube the other day before “I’m into CB”. Guess they aren’t targeting, just throwing the ads at Irish IP addresses. Gavin Sheridan is very depressing on the tweets re the respective campaigns. The yes stuff seems to be fighting this old school with posters (but hardly any in the culchieside) rather than working out what to do online.

Comment

Gavin Sheridan was very good on Second Captains about the issues with digital advertising and the lack of regulation around it.

Comment

Thanks Reg.

Comment

Yeah it’s the Consider the Lobster beardo contrarians among the young that are worrying me as much as older taxi driver style gammon contrarians in Dublin. A lulz vote. How many of these pricks are there?

Comment

So still possible that NI might get abortion reform before the South. That would be interesting...

Spoony's friends on the Cromwellsfort omnibus deserve some slack. It may be their first time voting- and complex issues arent easily reduced to a yes/ no choice

Comment

Ek and Reg- I listen to the free to air SC show on Mondays. Problem is that an hour of Klopp and Mourinho nonsense or Pep and Podgy Tina playing dumb doesnt convince that the wider politics stuff is worth a fiver per month

Comment

Who are the people who are ashamed to admit to a pollster that they will vote a certain way, yet are prepared to vote the embarrassing shameful thing into law/parliament?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                      Ek and Reg- I listen to the free to air SC show on Mondays. Problem is that an hour of Klopp and Mourinho nonsense or Pep and Podgy Tina playing dumb doesnt convince that the wider politics stuff is worth a fiver per month
                                      I don’t think that the move to more shows has been entirely successful. There are some weeks were there isn’t content to justify it. I was struck by a recent Ken Early comment on Twitter that a recent football podcast was his most favourite one in quite a while. In it, he was clearly engaged and energetic - that hasn’t always been the case recently.

There are few outlets for OTF like considered open approach to sports. The infrequent Players Chair is a very high standard. Sadlier is an excellent interviewer.

The politics podcast as a stand-alone would be very good. The decade and a half of reading OTF and understanding where garcia (and Toro and TAB) sits on most of the issues really helps. I wonder what people think who only listened for the offbeat football analysis.

I’m only a casual GAA follower and have little interest in rugby so don’t get much from the rest of the segments apart from the general good-naturedness of the hosts.

All in all, I’m happy to contribute the €5 a month but it’s based on occasional flashes of genuine brilliance. You could always try for a month (it’s easy to unsubscribe) and check out the highly rated previous politics shows. I’m sure people here can recommend specific episodes. I can certainly point out my favourites.

Comment

Ek- glad to follow yr recommends on specific shows. I missed the chance for a walk-on part in SC- Ken asked about a ticket to join the NI fans in the Railway Stand for our game with Romania in 2015. I had to demur- less that I was embarrassed about exposing him to the Castlederg boys than because my mother was ill at the time so I wasn't sure about making it

Comment

It's happened on several occasions since. The shy right-winger vote. Happened in the 2015 election and the 2016 referendum.

Comment

A Politics.ie user has done what I would consider a highly credible, constituency-by-constituency prediction of the referendum outcome, ultimately predicting a 52/48 Yes win:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/electio...l#post12059365

Comment

Bit strange that one... It has Cork South-Central trailing Cork North-Central and Cork East in Yes votes, when in the Marriage Equality referendum Cork South-Central was easily the most Yes of all the Cork constituencies.

Comment

There’s some roasters on that politics.ie site. Real kill the poor sneering fucks.

Comment

https://www.thinkscotland.org/thinkp...nkscotland.org

"Ireland Come Home".

Comment

That’s even worse than the Effie Deans piece. It’s all going to be Ireland fault when your economy dies in March.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X