When the BBC site goes down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...it automatically makes me think that something bad is afoot!

The BBC site almost never goes down.

-

...And it's back!

That was at least 5 minutes - an eternity for a BBC outage.

I can only imagine it was disbelieving Liverpool fans hitting the site, to check out the news!

Comment

A 500 isn't just a simple "down" ie not operating, more of a script/extension is actively fucking up. Maybe they tried to swap in some non-Heartbleed bits and it didn't quite work.

Comment

Don't the nuclear submarines start launching at Russia if that happens?

Comment

That's Radio 4. The long wave AM 198 frequency is at the centre of national security and is constantly monitored by the four nuclear submarines. If the Trident subs cannot tune into Radio 4 for three consecutive days, it is one of the core reasons for cracking open the letters of last resort from the PM and launching the nukes.

Apparently Admiralty was thrown into panic in November 2003 after a fire at Radio 4 studios caused the AM frequency to disappear for 15 minutes with the Trident captains trying to clarify why the signal had gone down.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: That's Radio 4. The long wave AM 198 frequency is at the centre of national security and is constantly monitored by the four nuclear submarines.
            Blimey. So the end of Radio 4 is — quite literally mate — the end of British civilization.

Comment

Fascinating isn't it? Peter Hennessy wrote about it in his book on the British Govt and the Cold War. Apparently only the PM and another designated cabinet minister know what is in the letters of last resort.The letters are one of the first things a new PM does after taking power and they are normally handwritten. If the PM is nuked, the designated other takes charge of the letters and the ultimate decision.

Dennis Healey as defence secretary was the designated other during Harold Wilson's first term as prime minister. Years later he was interviewed and said he would not have launched missiles at the USSR had Wilson been killed due to the MAD mindless slaughter of millions that would have resulted.

Comment

Apologies, Geoff, I knew that but was pretending not to for comic effect.

Comment

Comment

I wonder who our nukes are pre-programmed to annihilate nowadays? Probably Russia again at the moment.

Comment

Probably, though I suspect the default was 'elsewhere' for a few years.

Props to the Beeb for putting up the old 'testcard' image when everything's down.

Comment

I wonder who our nukes are pre-programmed to annihilate nowadays? Probably Russia again at the moment.
                        Just been to Berlin for the 1st time in 26 years (yes, there was a big grey thing running through it when last there...) and it was bizarre to be there with this new, rehashed (c)old war brewing.

A feeling intensified by the fact the DKP (German Communist Party) Euro election posters are stars n stripes and EU blue/yellow stars gloved hands reaching out for Ukraine.

You can guess the slogan.

EDit: Ah've fun' it fur yeez-

Comment

Working...
                        X