So, NYC, then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, NYC, then

I'm planning on going to the US Open tennis for the first time this summer (hopefully, incidental things like the actual Tennis tickets are still TBA), and have begun to mull over where to stay. Except my knowledge of the geography of this particular city is essentially non-existent. For example I would confidently answer anyone who asked where Flushing Meadows is with "Queens" having heard many TV commentators say this, but only when I started thinking about practicalities did it occur that I couldn't tell you if Queens is reasonably near the central areas or some far flung, Wimbledonesque suburb.

Therefore advice sought; I'm after suggestions for where to look for a hotel. Preferably somewhere not too far off the beaten track (i.e. not somewhere an estate agent would euphemistically term 'lively and authentic', translation - a bit dangerous), with reasonably handy access to both the main tourist sights and also to the Tennis. And also, if this is possible, not too much of a schlep from Kennedy airport as our inbound flight is an evening coming after 3/4 of a working day in London, which means we are going to be fairly shattered by the time we land. More than 60 minutes between airport and hotel would be a chore...

Not after direct hotel recommendations, though if anyone has those feel free, more what area of the city would be best to look in for somewhere that could come close to ticking all the boxes.

So, NYC, then

Can't help with this as I've not been since I was a kid but enjoy. Everything well with you? We've been missing your excellent updates in the tennis threads lately.

Comment

So, NYC, then

There are (as usual) people who know more than me. But my general feeling is that if you want to do touristy stuff you're probably better off in Manhattan and getting public transport out to Queens for the tennis.

That said, Flushing Meadows is relatively close to JFK. I always see the lovely Men-in-Black World's Fair stuff when getting a cab to the airport. So if you don't mind the long schlep into the city (probably a bit less distance than Wimbledon to the West End, but my guess is it's comparable in terms of irritation), perhaps staying in Queens isn't a terrible idea.

Comment

So, NYC, then

Hey Janik. I've been to NYC a lot and have done a trip specifically for the US Open (2012), so will stick to how things worked then for recommendations.

For that trip, we stayed on the east side of midtown (specifically, here). It's walkable to Grand Central (where you can get the 7 train straight to the tennis from). It's been upgraded from the Radisson that it was to a 'Radisson Boutique' so may be pricey; but the location was very good and it's well connected. For sights and shopping also very handy. To be honest anywhere in midtown would do for that, but I'd just say that you're best of sticking close to Grand Central for transit to tennis convenience.

Depending on traffic, it's a lot less than 60 mins airport to hotel. Added benefit (potential): the hotel was rammed with players while we were there, as a number of them were staying. We saw some lesser knowns (Hlavackova) but some decent names (Stosur, Ryan Harrison), and they had dedicated tellies set up/a board with the draw and results in the lobby.

As to the tournament: buy tickets the immediate moment they come online. I went on within two minutes, and grabbed what I could - and there really wasn't much left spare even at that point (the tickets I wanted were the period covering the first-third rounds; I imagine that the later rounds would be harder to guarantee, so do everything you can to maximise your chances). Still got Ashe and Louis Armstrong, but it was a close run thing.

Secondly, when queuing to enter remember to go to the bag drop if you have anything with padded straps (e.g. backpack) as they won't let you in until you've dropped it off. Do it first so you don't have to queue twice! It's easy to pick tickets up on the day so doing a 'will call' order is the best way to get em (no postal worries).

General tourist stuff: Chelsea Market and the High Line, Central Park, if you're after a tall building do the Rockefeller Center (as then you get the Empire State in yer pictures). And so on. You'll not be short of things to do.

The tournament was great, btw - a really relaxed atmosphere, great weather (bring sunscreen), very well organised.

Comment

So, NYC, then

SSK, I'm good. I went on holiday and had no internet access (definitely a positive), and have just been really busy since I got back. Hence going quiet for a while.

Comment

So, NYC, then

via vicaria wrote: As to the tournament: buy tickets the immediate moment they come online. I went on within two minutes, and grabbed what I could - and there really wasn't much left spare even at that point (the tickets I wanted were the period covering the first-third rounds; I imagine that the later rounds would be harder to guarantee, so do everything you can to maximise your chances). Still got Ashe and Louis Armstrong, but it was a close run thing.
            Not quite what I wanted to hear. I'm not after the later rounds (a positive), but it would appear that we are there over the Labor Day weekend (not terribly helpful).
            There is some sort of ticket package on sale now for that weekend which would presumably vastly increase the chances of getting in, but that might skew the Tennis/other stuff balance rather too far in the direction of furry yellow balls.

Comment

So, NYC, then

Looks like you lot have this covered.

Carry on.

Comment

So, NYC, then

Sorry - just want to make it clear that you can't hang about - I'm sure if you get in there on the day you'll be fine, but just remember to set a reminder if I managed it, after all, you should be able to. We were there over Labor Day weekend as well (Fri & Sun tickets on the weekend itself) so be quick, and I'm sure you'll be good. You might need to bear sitting high up in Ashe but it's actually not that bad (quite pleasant really)

How long are you going for? If you're there for the opening week, there's some good deals (the ones you're talking about, I'm sure). I'd considered them, but had family commitments on a few of the other days that kiboshed it being a 100% tennis week.

Comment

So, NYC, then

You won't want be completely out of luck if you don't get tickets in the draw, as tickets for that weekend will be put up for resale on StubHub and its brethren. Lots of corporates with tickets have difficulty with that weekend because many people are out of town.

VV's advice on where to stay is good. If you near Grand Central, transit is very easy because the 7 runs express to Flushing Meadow during the tournament. You might also look into corporate apartments, which are sometimes cheaper, or airbnb if you are adventurous. The primary issue with staying in Queens is the paucity of decent options. Staying at JFK is soul destroying. You should also look into ethnic dining options along the 7, be it myriad kinds of Chinese in Flushing, Indian and Latino in Jackson Heights, or Greek in Astoria.

Comment

So, NYC, then

Yes, I was going to say that it all seemed covered. The only thing I would add is, if you can walk anywhere, walk. If you can't get, get the subway, If you can't do either, get a cab. Get a cab and subway once for the experience (the latter out to Brighton Beach and Coney Island) but it is a wonderfully walkable city. Well, Manhattan is.

Comment

So, NYC, then

There's a few boutique hotels in Queens, I stayed in one last time, but they are hit and miss.

The hotel had the best view I've ever seen out of my room, and a handy bus leaving every half an hour for Lexington and 59th street. It was also a good $40-50 a night cheaper than Manhattan - good when you're on a budget and want to spend that money on something more fun. But it also had pretty poor service, and the area around the hotel was not worth seeing.

If money's not a big issue then you're better off staying in Manhattan.

Also, go to Katz's.

Comment

So, NYC, then

If you're thinking Manhattan, I can recommend the Fitzpatrick Grand Central - madame blameless and I stayed there last October and it was ace, and as its name suggests its very handy for GCT (literally across the road).

As for sightseeing stuff, take a boat trip round the bottom end of Manhattan Island and out towards Liberty / Ellis / Governors Islands - I know it's a bit of a tourist cliché, but you do get a fantastic view, not just of Manhattan but also of the three islands, Brooklyn Bridge and bits of New Jersey.

Comment

So, NYC, then

Bored of Education wrote: Yes, I was going to say that it all seemed covered. The only thing I would add is, if you can walk anywhere, walk. If you can't get, get the subway, If you can't do either, get a cab. Get a cab and subway once for the experience (the latter out to Brighton Beach and Coney Island) but it is a wonderfully walkable city. Well, Manhattan is.
                          Yeah, this. Manhattan is a nice place to walk, and Midtown is fine to wander around without having to tube or cab it. The Empire State, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Washington Square, Union Square and Greenwich Village are generally walkable of one other (it'll keep you fit, but it's definitely doable). Brooklyn will need a subway ride, as would Yankee stadium if you want to visit it up in the Bronx. Same goes for the ferries blameless mentions - they go from near Battery Park, which is at the tip of Manhattan, and you'd want to subway it down there from Midtown.

Central Park is quite wonderful but is bloody massive; I've been to NY quite a bit but haven't covered nearly all of it (tbh I've only been in the parts from around 72nd street southwards).

And just touching on what I said earlier about the High Line, I can't recommend that enough for a meander. It's a linear park built on a former elevated railway on Manhattan's west side, and starts near the Chelsea Market, which is ace for foods (decent seafood & great cheesecakes/sweets):

They have stalls/food kiosks up there in summer.

Comment

So, NYC, then

Janik wrote: SSK, I'm good. I went on holiday and had no internet access (definitely a positive), and have just been really busy since I got back. Hence going quiet for a while.
                            Glad all is well. Pretty quiet time on the British tennis front anyway other than the disappointment of Napoli.

Comment

So, NYC, then

Couple more tips, including important pizza information.

Comment

So, NYC, then

I went to Manhattan in 2011, and to Chicago the following year. I have to say that Chicago beat the shit out of Manhattan hands down.

Comment

So, NYC, then

Janik's going to New York though.

Comment

Working...
                                  X