Mars attacks - question for OTFs stargazers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heard on the radio earlier that Mars is the closest to Earth it'll be for years this weekend - just in case it's clear skies in Lancashire and I want to show off by pointing it out to anyone, that'll be the red one in the the south-east at about 10 at night, yes, a bit down and to the left of the moon?

A week ago, this happened:

And soon, purely coincidentally, Mars will make a close approach to Earth.

Do i really have to spell it out for you? Have none of you ever read Day of the Triffids? Looking at Mars is exactly what they want you to do.

Comment

That was just me teleporting in to check on my allotment.

Comment

Oh and yes, Mars will be in the South East at 10pm. By then it should be high enough to see.
        And if you draw a line from Mars through the Moon, just above that line about 1.5 times the distance the other side is Jupiter. You can't miss it, it's the brightest thing in the night sky apart from the Moon. Get some binoculars on it and you should see the Galilean moons.
        If you wait until midnight, Saturn will have risen East-south-east too.

Comment

By the way, if you want to know what's up there to look at at any time, Stellarium is a marvellous free tool for all good operating systems. (And Mac O/S.)

Comment

Working...
          X