2024 local and European elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2024 local and European elections

Consider this an omnibus thread for the locals in England (May), Ireland (June), and the European parliament elections across the continent (also the start of June). For the first time, the Social Democrats have a candidate in my electoral area, so I'll give them my number one for a change, before invariably repudiating Holly Cairns this time next year for going into coalition with Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael.

Why would you repudiate a party for going into government? It would be fun watching cian o callaghan wrestling wirh compromise. (He's the ex of a friend of mine, and is apparently a lovely guy but extremely serious and a bit unbending)

Comment

HC is my folks' TD and I know one of her significant colleagues.

Don't see them getting into bed with FF/FG anytime soon.

Thankfully.

Comment

Gonna vote Labour in London with a relatively reasonable amount of enthusiasm, in the context of my general disillusionment. The sheer volume of lying, self-interested, dishonest racist shit hurled at Sadiq Khan makes it pretty important that he wins again. He's not massively my cup of tea, politically, but there's been some positive direction of travel - free school meals, ULEZ (if undermined by the Silvertown tunnel project, in green-credential terms), some attempt at encouraging social housing development. As with Burnham and Rotheram, he presents a more palatable brand of centre-left Labour politics than any of the cunts in Westminster do.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
          Why would you repudiate a party for going into government? It would be fun watching cian o callaghan wrestling wirh compromise. (He's the ex of a friend of mine, and is apparently a lovely guy but extremely serious and a bit unbending)
          It's hard to see what material impact Labour made on Enda Kenny's government, given the austerity measures largely followed the FG prescription, and indeed Gilmore's ministers proved the most fervent advocates, between Joan Burton cutting pension and welfare rates, and Alan Kenny introducing water charges (even if I personally have no issue with the principle). Of course, the numbers for a broad left coalition encompassing everyone bar Solidarity/PBP may never actually add up, but it should still be the first priority for such parties, with other combinations only considered when required by final results.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
            Gonna vote Labour in London with a relatively reasonable amount of enthusiasm, in the context of my general disillusionment. The sheer volume of lying, self-interested, dishonest racist shit hurled at Sadiq Khan makes it pretty important that he wins again. He's not massively my cup of tea, politically, but there's been some positive direction of travel - free school meals, ULEZ (if undermined by the Silvertown tunnel project, in green-credential terms), some attempt at encouraging social housing development. As with Burnham and Rotheram, he presents a more palatable brand of centre-left Labour politics than any of the cunts in Westminster do.
            If I had a vote in London any more, I'd do the same, for the same reasons. I'd vote for him just because of the monstrous anti-ULEZ hissy fit thrown by all the wrong people (almost all of whom don't live in the zone). Add in the bullshit racism and it's enough to make me want him to win by huge margins even if he's not exactly my type of politician.

Comment

It looks like the only voting we're doing in these parts is for the (checks notes) Police and Fire Commissioner, which means a full scale polling operation (including three polling cards being individually posted to our address), for what I'd be surprised if it reached a 15% turnout.

Comment

I presume the PFC candidates don't smother every local telegraph pole with posters?

Comment

That's not really a UK thing. You'll get posters in supporters windows and occasionally Tory placards alongside fields, but it's innumerable leaflets through the front door that shows it is a competitive race.

Comment

I should probably have said GB in the post above, don't know what happens in NI.

Comment

We have a council by-election after a councillor died unexpectedly a couple of months back. And then a few weeks later we also have a Police and Crime Commissioner election which is the biggest bag of wank going imo. An election for a post that achieves absolutely fuck all.

Comment

Comment

"Young"?

Comment

By comparison with two people who are dead, certainly ...

Comment

Bi le Mac is a good slogan

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                I should probably have said GB in the post above, don't know what happens in NI.
                                It certainly does/did in the Osc...

Comment

The ones in England will be all about pensioners kicking off that they can't vote because they never got round to paying for a photo driving license or other form of photo ID that they gleefully demanded "that lot" needed to have to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                    There are very exciting things happening in Northern Ireland. Jeffrey Donaldson has deleted all his social media accounts overnight

Comment

Noticed a few local councils offering free 'Photo ID', to get round this?​​​​​​

Comment

Apropos of nothing, a 61 year old Co. Down man and his wife have been arrested for historical sex offences.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ck5k72r9nygo

Comment

I hadn’t realised what a huge proportion of England is outside the scope of this May’s locals.

Comment

Our colour brochure for 'king of the north' (supermayor) came yesterday. The double-barrelled Tory has no party mentioned on his double page spread, which am guessing is the same artwork as his A5 leaflets

Comment

Lib Dems already absolutely doing my head in – endless leaflets saying the exact same thing, mainly focusing on how the Labour candidates don't live in the area (despite the LDs' own man living a couple of streets outside our ward now) and other piffling nonsense. They're so unaware, they've even got a line about how "Labour are running an increasingly negative campaign", which is part of a list on the leaflet about how awful Labour are and why we shouldn't vote for them.

Labour themselves are no better – their leaflets basically read exactly the same with the party names switched round. I absolutely will not be voting for either of them this time, and really hope they knock on canvassing so I can tell them why.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                                  Our colour brochure for 'king of the north' (supermayor) came yesterday. The double-barrelled Tory has no party mentioned on his double page spread, which am guessing is the same artwork as his A5 leaflets
                                                  King of the North North East

Comment

Working...
                                                  X