Independent MPs (current state of play)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Independent MPs (current state of play)

So, following news of Scott Bent-on's resignation, I was just checking the current state of the parties in the HoC, (Conservative whip-holders number 348, giving the party an effective absolute majority of 52 after taking account of SF abstentionism, despite the big drop from Johnson's original 365 strong party cohort). And I saw that there are no fewer than 17 MPs currently classified as "independent", not subject to any party whip. None of those 17 was elected as an independent. 7 are ex-Tory, 8 are ex-Labour, 1 ex-Plaid, 1 ex-SNP. Brief rundown as follows, with comments on reason for whip withdrawal/whip resignation

ex-Labour

J Corbyn (refusal to toe Starmer line on anti-semitism in the party)
    D Abbott (comments on racism suffered by non-blacks)
    N Brown (undisclosed allegation)
    C Webbe (criminal conviction for harassment)
    C McGinn (undisclosed allegation)
    B Charalambous (undisclosed allegation)
    G Davies (sexual harassment allegations)
    K Osamor (calling Gaza a genocide)

ex-Tory

C Blunt (arrest on rape charge)
    J Knight (sexual harassment allegations)
    R Roberts (sexual misconduct)
    S Benton (RESIGNED AS MP) (corruption)
    A Bridgen (tweeting anti-vaxx nonsense, but bloody hell what a history of one thing and another)
    M Hancock (going on I'm a Celeb)
    Bob Stewart (racially aggravated public order offence, conviction quashed on appeal, but not returned to whip)

other

ex-SNP A MacNeill (party discipline issues)
    ex-PC J Edwards (police caution accepted for domestic violence)

There never used to be anything like that number of independents. But I'm sure there would have been similar numbers in previous Parliaments if sexual misconduct had resulted in allegations by victims etc. then as it does now, and such allegations taken as seriously then as now.

Edit: HoC page with mugshots here: Find MPs - MPs and Lords - UK Parliament
    Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 25-03-2024, 16:44.

Andrew Bridgen was briefly in Laurence Fox's Reclaim party, but appears to have left them before Christmas.

Comment

Working...
    X