So, Rome then.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Rome then.

Putting a massive wrong right and finally visiting Rome for four nights in mid May. We are staying at the edge of Ostiense near the station, Ive already plotted the walk from the hotel to Pizzeria Remo in Testaccio, and a 7 week wait is frankly intolerable. Any and all other food suggestions will be most welcome.

Also suggestions on what to do when not eating and eating. For sure am going to Ostia Antica and the Pantheon, and grudgingly will prepare for tat bombardment at the Colleseum and Forum, but im sure theres a few thousand things w really oughtnt to miss, would also be good to know wheres theres fewer annoying badly dressed pasty tourists like myself (herself is of course always immaculate and chic).
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 24-03-2024, 16:17.

Walk up Gianicolo hill from St Peter's Square and across to trastevere. The light over the rooftops late afternoon never fails to take my breath away.

EUR is fascinating and I'd recommend it.

There are a lot of things to see and do

Comment

Michelangelos statue of Moses in a church half way up the hill between the Colosseum and Termini station. Caravaggios in various churches scattered round the city.

I feel like I have said much of this on here before so there must be a thread

Comment

Yeah ive been looking and theres lots of references to a thread on the old board.

Comment

What i have found has defintely steered me to getting an Archeobus ticket. The fuckin vatican can go and fuck off though, life's too short for that queue.
          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 24-03-2024, 18:46.

Comment

Get an advance queue for the Vatican Museum and it actually works. Same for the Colosseum. You can jump the queue. My other tips on Rome tend to go from head to Trastevere for food and drink, it's better there, to yes, keep a hand on your wallet or put it in an inside pocket, I was pickpocketed there. Only time I've ever been robbed on the street, and I didn't even know it had happened until I next went to my pocket.

Comment

This seems to be the most recent one
              https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...do#post2591010

Comment

Eat artichokes in the Ghetto

If you are looking for dinner or lunch around the Spanish Steps/Piazza del Popolo, we are big fans of Trattoria del Edy on Via Babuino or Grillo Parlante for salumi, cheese and wine.

Comment

Although the Vatican museum is an absolute goddamn nightmare to shove your way through, it is incredible. The first time I went to Rome I didn't go, the second time, I did, and was glad I did.

Going near the end of the day can work out well as you get some quieter periods. Book online, hold your nose, and go.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Eat artichokes in the Ghetto
                    A line that Elvis rejected?

Comment

Hot tip: go to the Pantheon (and Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona -- all on one route) early on Wednesday morning. The crowds are in St Peter's Square for the papal audience. Which means: don't go to the Vatican on Wednesdays. And, yes, pre-book your entry tickets. The queues for the Vatican Museums are loooong. Again, better go in the morning.

Pop into churches, if you like art. You never know what you'll find. For example, at the back of the Pantheon there is a church called Santa Maria sopra Minerva (go up the small road to the left of the Parthenon as you face it. The church faces the far side of the Pantheon). Next to the altar, standing there like it's the most normal thing in the world, is an original Michelangelo statue.

Also near the Pantheon, a minute's walk, is the amazing church of Sant'Ignazio, with the incredible optical illusion of a dome created by Andrea Pozzo. It's a very, very beautiful church -- the ceiling frescoes, also by Pozzo, are incredible -- but that fake dome took my breath away.

Navona Square is worth two visits: during the day to admire the fountains, and in the evening for the vibe, with the artists' market (and don't let anyone tell you to avoid touristy things. Virtually everything worth seeing in Rome is touristy). The church of St Agnes in Navona Square is worth popping in for a few minutes, if alone for the optical illusion of part of the black-and-white tiled floor.

Comment

Dammit. We dont arrive till Wedensday avo.

Comment

Just do the tourist things. You're a tourist. See the Greatest Hits. Eat great food. Drink some wine, enjoy the coffee.

Comment

chase the herds of wild boar roaming the street like Obelix! Eat delicious square pizza and try not to miss the dublin meath borderlands too much!!!

Comment

This guy claims there are no Vatican queues if you get there by 8 am:

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                This guy claims there are no Vatican queues if you get there by 8 am:

Yeah i dont really like Baroque or Mannerist art enough to be there by 8am, thats time for lounging not paping.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                  chase the herds of wild boar roaming the street like Obelix! Eat delicious square pizza and try not to miss the dublin meath borderlands too much!!!
                                  I'll have you know im safely 5km further away from the Stamullen and Bettystown savages now, things are so refined here the lasagne only sometimes comes with reheated frozen chips.
                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 24-03-2024, 22:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                    Just do the tourist things. You're a tourist. See the Greatest Hits. Eat great food. Drink some wine, enjoy the coffee.
                                    Ah yeah, theres no getting away from being a tourist. But id rather not be eating at best mediocre food in Temple Bar/Las Ramblas equivalents, where the menus thrust at you as you walk past have pictures and about 10 languages printed on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      Ive already plotted the walk from the hotel to Pizzeria Remo in Testaccio
                                      Remo is fantastic, but very local. Be prepared to queue for a while unless you get there very early. Luckily I was with two Romans who somehow managed to talk us to the front of the queue (as it was pissing it down at the time).

Fantastic pizza, very little elbow room.

EDIT: TLMG tells me to tell you to not omit the starters. The arancini were amazing.
                                      Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 24-03-2024, 22:27.

Comment

I can't tell you anything about Rome, but generally speaking* famous things are famous for a reason: they're impressive and awesome.

Not true with food, as you note. But don't assume that just because it's good to avoid tourist trap tourist tat food means that it's good to not see the Eiffel Tower or Empire State or Grand Canyon or Sossusvlei Dunes or whatever, just because everyone other tourist in the country wearing white trainers and a bumbag is off to see them, too.

* with exceptions like, say, The Little Mermaid or Hollywood Walk Of Fame

Comment

TLMG also recommends Da Bucatino in Testaccio. Wonderful food, she sez. Classic Roman, lots of artichoke (which may make you an unfriendly roommate).

EDIT: Antipasto della Nonna being a favourite, The Abbacchio con patate is also apparently amazing. Bring your eating shoes.
                                          Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 24-03-2024, 22:33.

Comment

Also, if you have time: Trattoria della Stampa. Former haunt of La Repubblica journalists, great food.

Comment

Sorry, I'll stop spamming shortly, but Al Pompiere in the Jewish Quarter is also incredible, according to TLMG.

Comment

A friend recommended Armando al Pantheon, which is very close to the Pantheon, as a very good authentic restaurant that doesn't charge tourist trap prices despite it's location. He also claimed it was mostly patronised by locals. Well, maybe it was, but this sort of reputation attracted Stanley Tucci to eat at the place in his documentary series. So when I went there last year on the recommendation basically all the voices were anglophone (mostly US, some British). Food was still good, though. Good enough that I took some pictures, I'll try and dig them out.

My other recommendation is you can see the Colosseum looking something like this if you go for a run at around 7am. But this does involve going for a run at 7am. Which may or may not be what you want to do when you are on holiday. [if you do, most of the other joggers are running along the towpaths at the base of the embankments along the Tiber]

Comment

Also second any recommendations for the Piazza Navona.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X