Abuse of Diane Abbott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abuse of Diane Abbott

The Guardian has revealed that major Tory donor Frank hester has said that looking at Diane Abbott makes you “want to hate all black women” and said the MP “should be shot”,

Hester's company receives 100's of millions from thre NHS for storing NHS records

TPP’s lawyers said the company fostered a diverse and inclusive workplace with a significant proportion of staff from minority ethnic backgrounds, and that Hester’s comments had been distorted and taken out of context, and were not a true or accurate characterisation of the company or Hester.
    They also said
    the fact that his donation was to a party led by Britain’s first Hindu prime minister, a politician of Indian heritage, was further evidence of him embracing diversity
    For some strange reason The Guardian did not consider it newsworthy that very similar remarks were made about Ms Abbott by Labour Party staffers many of whom still hold significant posiitons in the Labour Party

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1767224013535769076?s=20

Why does this working class woman who got a scholarship to Cambidge and then became the first Black woman MP get such shit? Apparently half of the abuse of MP's on socail media was directed at her- and she has now been suspended as a Labour MP

Shit, I thought she'd died from the thread title.

Comment

Apologies- Snake Plissken can you edit. maybe "the much abused Diane Abbot "

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
        The Guardian has revealed that major Tory donor Frank hester has said that looking at Diane Abbott makes you “want to hate all black women” and said the MP “should be shot”,

Hester's company receives 100's of millions from thre NHS for storing NHS records

They also said

For some strange reason The Guardian did not consider it newsworthy that very similar remarks were made about Ms Abbott by Labour Party staffers many of whom still hold significant posiitons in the Labour Party

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1767224013535769076?s=20

Why does this working class woman who got a scholarship to Cambidge and then became the first Black woman MP get such shit? Apparently half of the abuse of MP's on socail media was directed at her- and she has now been suspended as a Labour MP

Beyond messy at this stage.

Sympathies to DA.

Comment

oh look

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1767262331879211435?s=20

Comment

A lot of people who should like, or at least respect, Diane Abbott cite "the way she speaks" as a reason to dislike her. She closes her eyes when she speaks, she sounds condescending. I have nothing but admiration, having had her as my MP for 23 years (1997-2020) and seeing the work she puts into unglamorous things like housing and helping people with their benefits. Attending local events. She has a hefty majority and I know (as I've canvassed in the constituency) that a lot of it is a personal vote for her, many people do see her as an Auntie figure and/or a trailblazer. But still, she gets so much really nasty crap and is somehow expected to just suck it up, while people such as Luciana Berger (who shouldn't get abuse either, of course) are protected and given sympathy. I no longer watch TV 'satire' such as HIGNFY or Mock the Week, or Question Time but it seemed at one time de rigueur to make jokes at her expense. It was like being forced to witness a whipping sometimes.

The best thing Jack Monroe ever did was write that piece about her (We Need to Talk About Diane Abbott) and that did scratch the surface of why, why people want to abuse this woman who has just wanted to do the right thing her whole life. Thank God, she has good friends and a sense of humour, and has a hinterland of enjoying the arts and literature (and the odd party). I really hope she knows how loved she is. A curse on her bullying enemies.

Comment

"Tory donors are racist cunts" isn't really news. Neither is "Labour staffers are racist cunts."

She gets shit because she's a black woman who stands up for herself and others. And that scares a lot of white men.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                "Tory donors are racist cunts" isn't really news.
                The Guardian just did a big feature on the story

Neither is "Labour staffers are racist cunts."
                I think it depends who the staffers are and who are the perceived victims.

Comment

Wasn't a go at you, Nef. More my own sadness that it isn't at all surprising

Comment

NO problem PT.Here's Diane tonight

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1767275256547360902?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/BellRibeiroAddy/status/1767251830067572844?t=EMZr5BkGqTXotHK9EEODJg&s=19

Comment

Has Jess Phillips said anything?

Comment

Two Tory ministers have, Mel Stride and Graham Stuart, both denying that there were any racial or misogynist undertones and that there's nothing to see here, move along now.

Comment

Perhaps it's me, but trying to wriggle out of 'she makes you want to hate all black women' seems a bit of a tough ask on that score.

Comment

And after the assassination of Jo Cox, suggesting that an MP ought to be shot is not just an ugly turn of phrase. It's incitement to murder.

Comment

The assassination of Jo Cox is like Brexit. It didn't happen, so we have no need to talk about it.

Comment

Ugly people in Brit (& global) politics though...

Especially the last 10-15 years.

Quelle surprise.

Comment

Abuse of all female MPs, in my opinion. Angela Rayner seems to be the common focus of abuse for Tory MPs, but I guess Abbott is still available for a cheap and unfunny gag over a brandy after dinner.

Comment

WoC are those that are most often the targets. Abbott of course but others too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                        Two Tory ministers have, Mel Stride and Graham Stuart, both denying that there were any racial or misogynist undertones and that there's nothing to see here, move along now.
                                        Yes move on from Mel Stride by sacking the useless wanker

Comment

"he does a lot of a business in Jamacia, he does business in Malaysia, in Bangladesh - so he’s not a racist." Yeah, so did Edward fucking Colston, you utter bellend, "Lord" Marland.

So, Hester's company TPP produce Systm One which is one of 3 major providers of the operating systems used in GP surgeries (EMIS and Vision are the other two). I wonder if some GP practices might bear in mind that they are effectively funding the Tory party if they choose Systm One? My practice is EMIS, so no opportunity to boycott.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                            Has Jess Phillips said anything?
                                            It took her a bit, bit of course she has

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1767495795190710518?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

If it's indefensible, why try to defend it. Conservatives are so afraid of calling out racism when their own do it because they want to be seen as a little bit racist. It's not because they don't want to give the money back, its because they are worried about offending racists.

Comment

Even Ed Balls is calling for Abbott‘s reinstatement to the Labour Party

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellmp/status/1767587043666780230?s=46&t=8oLqNHLiemnJFQZY2zDdMw

Comment

https://twitter.com/pickyouredge/status/1767834845005205523?t=KmBd-y86SZA_IB18RBrqeg&s=19

Comment

Does that mean actually have Vitaligo or is it a result of his bootlicking for the Tories?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X