Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2024 United Kingdom General Election

Let's kick this muther off: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67361138

Likely to be on Thursday 14 November, according to George Osborne, so that it can be after the Tory conference and a mini-budget (autumn statement) as they hope to give themselves a boost. This also means the identity of the next president would be known by the time Britain goes to the polls.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
      Likely to be on Thursday 14 November, according to George Osborne, so that it can be after the Tory conference and a mini-budget (autumn statement) as they hope to give themselves a boost. This also means the identity of the next president would be known by the time Britain goes to the polls.

Sound thinking. I was kind of expecting it to be early- to mid-autumn (end-September/early-October) but it looks like the timing of the 2019 contest has slightly altered the general belief that you avoid the colder months.

Comment

Why should I trust anything George Osborne has to say?

Comment

You've peaked a bit early here, NS.

Comment

If someone wants me to change the thread title back I will, but I thought it was funny.

Comment

The Telegraph has fired the starting pistol by commissioning its own poll warning of massive Tory losses. This was clearly a "look what could happen if we sit on our hands" rallying call to its readers, warning of the dangers of voting for Reform, the Lib Dems and even saying 'some senior Conservative figures' think there should be a change of leadership before the election.

Comment

Well, if the "Spartans" succeed in defenestrating Sunak over Rwanda . . .

Comment

Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Don't fancy another ten months of hypotheticals, especially from a certain person...

With them trying to identify microscopic 'trends'.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                    If someone wants me to change the thread title back I will, but I thought it was funny.
                    I don't know what it was, but I'm not crazy about what it is now.

Comment

I live in a marginal seat, that's swung back and forth between red and blue. I expect I'm going to have to hold my nose and vote for Starmer's lot as the only realistic, not Tory option.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        Well, if the "Spartans" succeed in defenestrating Sunak over Rwanda . . .
                        For some time I've had a nagging thought that Cameron will somehow end up being Prime Minister again before the election, the sheer absurdity of the idea no longer carrying the weight that it once might have done as an argument against it.

Comment

Meanwhile those of us who weren't able to vote now will be able to (even people like me who have never been on the electoral register in the UK)

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/polit...voting-rights/

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Hmmmmm, not too sure about the ethics of changing someone else's text unbidden.

Comment

Which was why I put it out there. Anyway, it's back, and I won't be using it to open the set.

Comment

Well, I thought it was OK.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  Meanwhile those of us who weren't able to vote now will be able to (even people like me who have never been on the electoral register in the UK)

Could have done with this 8 years ago.
                                  This shows that I need to pay more attention, as this is the first I've heard of it, so thanks. I also probably should have made more than a cursory effort to dig out my UK driving license over the holidays.

Comment

It appears the boundary changes to my constituency (Colne Valley [Yorkshire]) have led to the demographics being slightly older, whiter, Brexitier, and generally more affluent.

Whether that's enough to maintain the 5,000 Tory majority remains to be seen, the polls would suggest not.

We have a new Labour candidate (the previous one and former MP got kicked out for being too Corbynite). His leaflet tells me absolutely nothing about who he is, or indeed any policies his party has.
                                    Sir Keith meanwhile has been sending letters to MrsD, much to her bemusement as she has shown no interest in politics whatsoever, unlike her husband who has a long history of engaging with MPs. Starmer's letters are similarly very short on substance.

My choice is hold my nose and vote Labour, or spoiled ballot paper (or vote for Yorkshire Party or other minority, which is the same thing really).

Comment

Likely to be on Thursday 14 November...This also means the identity of the next president would be known by the time Britain goes to the polls.
                                      I will take that if it plays out that way.

Comment

Particularly interesting for the circa quarter of a million Brits resident in Ireland who are also guaranteed lifelong voting rights for our general elections, should they wish to do so. That said, while many of those living abroad would indeed be more liberal "with a small l" than those back home, I wouldn't want to presume so for those based in Spain, who were regularly interviewed in the wake of Brexit.

Comment

No, I;m not expecting that UK residents living abroad will be largely on the side of the angels.

Comment

I have very mixed feelings about this by the way. I don't really think I should have the vote in the UK general election, since I don't pay tax, don't use the health service, or the education system, or much else really. However, I feel I should use my vote if I have been given it, if nothing else to but to counterbalance my fellow emigrants who left because "it's not our country anymore"

Comment

I have very mixed feelings about this by the way. I don't really think I should have the vote in the UK general election, since I don't pay tax, don't use the health service, or the education system, or much else really. However, I feel I should use my vote if I have been given it, if nothing else to but to counterbalance my fellow emigrants who left because "it's not our country anymore"
                                              I pretty much agree with you. Mind you, I can't vote in national elections here, either.

Comment

if nothing else to but to counterbalance my fellow emigrants who left because "it's not our country anymore"
                                                Hearing from people like that is triggering, for lack of a better term. Going through life thinking you own the world, or should own the world, is a recipe for misery for everyone involved.

Comment

What was the original thread title?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X