Span, span, span, egg, and span

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Span, span, span, egg, and span

A thread to celebrate bridges, as per the current conversation in the interesting thing thread. Some great examples there including the beautiful lines of the Golden Gate, and the feats of engineering in Sydney, Budapest and Bristol. I've added one other below.

Starting with SB's nomination of the Golden Gate

Every time I go to Sydney I am more impressed with the Harbour Bridge. And the views as you walk across it? Spectacular.

Szechenyi's Lanchid in Budapest (though Szechenyi just commissioned it, it was designed by an English Clark (William Tierney) and built by a Scottish Clark (Adam - no relation)

Clifton Suspension Bridge, not actually designed by Brunel. but based on an original design by him

And the Dom Luis Bridge in Porto. Not designed by Eiffel (as often thought - he designed the original railway bridge just up stream), but by a protege of his called Seyrig.

Have at it, bridge lovers of OTF​

Antrim's famous/infamous Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge:

And between Valentia Island and Portmagee:

​​​​​​​

Comment

And another bridge I love, which sadly doesn't fit the "looks great while you're on it" criteria, as it is basically a motorway traffic jam, is the original Bosphorus bridge, which not only looks amazing from near and from far, but has that incredible symbolism of connecting continents

From Gulhane park, looking across the water

And from Ortakoy Square, perhaps my favourite place in Istanbul

Comment

Rope bridges terrify me. Do people not watch movies?

Is that person in red at the other end in charge of stop/go instructions, or is there someone we can't see at this end?

Comment

This is my favourite, none of your steel / suspension nonsense, just good old-fashioned stone and cement.
          Gairnshiel Bridge on the road between Ballater on Deeside and Corgarff on Donside, built between 1748 & 1752 as part of the military road system for the government to move troops through the highlands to keep those pesky Jacobites in check.

Comment

Top idea for a thread. Here are three personal favourites:

Richmond Bridge, Tasmania (oldest bridge in Australia still in use. OK it’s only 200 years old):

Comment

The beautiful Charles Bridge in Prague:

Comment

And just for its ridiculous over-the-topness, Hammersmith Bridge:

Comment

I'm a fan of the Vanšu Bridge in Riga

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                    And just for its ridiculous over-the-topness, Hammersmith Bridge:

I must never have noticed the weak bridge sign before.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I must never have noticed the weak bridge sign before.
                      I believe it’s fairly recent. Actually that’s reminded me of a bridge which vibrates every time a car goes over it, Marlow Bridge over the Thames.

Comment

I am obligated to mention the Ravenel Bridge between Charleston and Mount Pleasant. I think it also fits all three. Looks great off it, looks good on it, and has good views from it (at least if you’re walking, driving it is OK but a bit motorway-ish)

Comment

I believe it’s fairly recent. Actually that’s reminded me of a bridge which vibrates every time a car goes over it, Marlow Bridge over the Thames.

That is a genuinely terrifying bridge. It’s scary to just see cars try and go past the bollards to get on to it.

Comment

William Tierney Clark, who designed the Lanchid in Budapest (see OP), designed this one first, and apparently the Danube one is basically a scaled up version of this.

Comment

It's very hard to get a good picture of cahir bridge, because it's about 100 metres long in total. There's lots of nice bridges in south tipperary.

Cahir_Castle_Tipperary_Irelands_Ancient_East.jpg
                              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 05-12-2023, 14:41.

Comment

Yes, cracking idea for a thread.

There will be more to come, but I'll start off with Holt Bridge, (more commonly known as Farndon Bridge, but sod that - for perhaps the first time in my life I'm going to disfavour England).

Built in 1339, still in use today, linking two countries and constructed of the local red sandstone that it seems to grow out from. Much, much more importantly though, the visual prompt that I'm a few hundred yards from my mum's childhood home:

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                  It's very hard tog et a good picture of cahir bridge, because it's about 100 metres long in total. There's lots of nice bridges in south tipperary.

You've proved your point - no image visible to the rest of us, I'm afraid.

Comment

Lovers of novelty might enjoy the Dragon Bridge in Da Nang, Vietnam

Which, every evening, blows fire

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

William Tierney Clark, who designed the Lanchid in Budapest (see OP), designed this one first, and apparently the Danube one is basically a scaled up version of this.
                                      Excellent trivia. Didn’t know.

Comment

If I say Brooklyn Bridge and Tower Bridge can I get away without posting pictures? I've walked across both.

Comment

The Bridge Over the Atlantic, Clachan

Comment

Viaduc de Millau:

:

Comment

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/2021/09/15/singing-edelweiss/
                                              foo

Some nice pictures of the bridge down by the swiss cottage. There's quite a sexy suspension footbridge on the other side of the castle in the above picture but I'm fucked if I can find any photos of it. I'm kind of worried that it has been removed.

51271315405_da0cb1e36a_k-570x400.jpg

Ardfinnan, The next village down stream from cahir has a very sexy bridge. That catle in the background was built by king John, when he was lord lieutenant of ireland.

This sexy bridge downstream of clonmel is only one car wide, which makes it a bit awkward to use, because it's very long.

suir-greenway.jpg

and before you think that every bridge over the river suir is from the early norman occupation, there's the thomas Francis Meagher bridge at waterford city.

20160203_152526.jpg?w=1024&h=576.jpg
                                              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 05-12-2023, 15:40.

Comment

Seven Mile Bridge (Florida Keys):

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

You've proved your point - no image visible to the rest of us, I'm afraid.
                                                  It is pretty visible to me I'm afraid. I don't know how this is supposed to work. I can see all the links except Guy's and ginger yellow's ones.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X