No announcement yet.

I've "Always" Wanted To Go To...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to island hop on through the South Pacific on a Pan Am Clipper. I suspect it ain't gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
      I want to go to Japan. Been meaning to go ever since one of my best friends worked there when I was in China (back in 2005). Another of my best friends lives in Osaka permanently now. Me and husband were planning to go on a trip there in 2013 but then I found out I was pregnant in 2012 and strangely we've never got round to it.
      Loved Japan last year. Extraordinary contrasts between places like Tokyo and Hakuba. Taking the Mrs in February/March. Want to do the US, Canada and a safari in Africa.

Comment

Comment

When I think of island hopping across the Pacific, I guess my picture is more stops and a southerly route and of Gambier and Tuamotu islands rather than the Pan Am Clipper route. It's also something I've always wanted to do - somehow in a small seaplane that could magically refuel in tranquil lagoons all the way across...

Comment

Sadly my token trip across the Pacific comprised of a late evening flight from Vancouver, a brief stopover in Hawaii and on to Sydney. By the callander this took two days...

Comment

Put me down for Uzbekistan too. I've wanted to go there ever since I saw a BBC documentary with Dan Cruickshank where he went around the world to various important cultural sites. I knew nothing of either Samarkand or Bukhara until that point. Getting on for 15 years since I saw it, and it seems less likely than ever now we have a small child.

Comment

Around Vietnam, by train.
                Latin America
                New York
                Across the USA by car
                Moscow and St Petersburg, but won't go at the moment
                Puglia (only bit of Italy we haven't seen) but not visiting Italy while fascists are in power
                Corsica (in fact I'd like a ferry/trains/ferry/trains/ferry trip to Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily.. I think a famous travel writer did that one -Newby? Theroux?)

Comment

Some countries I would love to visit
                  Japan
                  Costa Rica
                  Malawi (everybody I have ever met who has been to Malawi talks about it like paradise on earth)
                  Kerala (not a country, but I've wanted to go for 30+ years)

A place which I would dearly love to go, but I can't imagine it being possible for a very long time, possibly not again in my lifetime

Srinagar, Kashmir (Kashmir in general in fact)

Comment

Another one for Japan here - just give me a day in the Akihabara district with a few hundred thousand yen to spend and I could die a happy man.

Comment

Places that don;t exist but which I dream of visiting in the future
                      Free Gaza
                      Free Lhasa

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                        Going to Barcelona as part of my birthday celebrations, not going to Glastonbury unfortunately.
                        Make sure you visit La Sagrada Familia. Entrance is not cheap and you might have to book in advance, but well worth it. Even if you don't want to fork out, do check the outside.
                        Then visit the Lego shop in Las Ramblas and see the half-ton model of it

Comment

Mine range from fairly unlikely to incredibly unlikely. The non-European ones I'm not sure I would even if I could, for enviro- and climatic reasons.

Kashmir, specifically the Karakoram
                          Komodo Island. Why did I have to fall in love with a tropical animal? Couldn't I have been satisfied with otters?
                          Vancouver Island and the BC coast
                          Kaieteur Falls, Guyana - https://i0.wp.com/www.seehertravel.c...2/PB260052.jpg
                          Patagonia
                          Iceland (this one might be doable)

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                            The Fish River canyon in Namibia, and in particular the multi-day hike along it.

Would love to see that. I'm very much into canyons.

Comment

I don't know how much it's changed in the last couple of years, but I've been to Kashmir several times in the last decade without problems.

My IAWTGT list:

Antarctica (not a country, I know)
                              Japan
                              Iran
                              Patagonia (NAC, IK)
                              Afghanistan
                              DRC
                              Colombia
                              Chile
                              Cuba
                              Lebanon

A combination of political/security and financial issues keeping them out of reach for the moment.

Comment

One of the things I definitely have on my bucket list is that I want to see the Northern Lights, although I don't necessarily have to leave the UK to do that.

I'm not particularly well-travelled person. I've never even been to Germany which I feel I should do something about.
                                Last edited by Disco Child Ballads; 22-11-2023, 14:55.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                  Another one for Japan here - just give me a day in the Akihabara district with a few hundred thousand yen to spend and I could die a happy man.

You might want to get in quick then. When i was there in 2019, all the big arcades seemed to be shutting down. Just seemed to be full of those creepy (IMO, shouldn't judge, i guess...) Maid Cafes round there.

The big bucket list place for me is Iran.

Comment

Yeah, I'd heard that it was regressing from its former glories somewhat but ever since I saw photos of it in a magazine when I was about 10 or 11, I was enraptured.

Comment

Kiribati, Tuvalu, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Stranraer and Keith.

Comment

Oh! Yeah! Socotra. Obviously.

Comment

Working...
                                        X