Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimski View Post

Our local shop sells actual 2 litre cartons of milk. It actually took me a while to realise that they were thus slightly smaller than the supermarket equivalent.
    Some of the branded milks are sold in litre quantities too. You know the stuff, weird shaped bottle, has loads of TV advertising, claims some sort of spurious superior quality like being filtered perhaps, and costs twice as much as regular supermarket own-brand milk which still comes in pints.

Comment

I've never knowingly eaten dog biscuits but when I was a child I used to empty my vanilla ice cream bowl on the back lawn and eat it with clover and grass. I remember that it tasted better that way. This may be a false memory given that we had free-range rabbits and my parents like to remind me that I also sometimes ate the rabbit droppings. They have declined to explain why they allowed me to do this and why they found it so amusing instead of alarming.

Comment

I've been an oat milk person for a couple of years (for cereal and hot drinks), mainly for environmental reasons but also after hearing/reading a few things suggesting that avoiding cow milk (or I guess dairy more generally) can have a few health benefits. I did try a couple of the other milk alternatives, but found most didn't work for my tastes and some of them (soy, almond) are pretty bad environmentally too. I've found you need to be a bit wary of asking for oat milk in some coffee shops, particularly chain ones, as they sometimes only have the added sugar varieties, which are way too sweet for me.

One notable effect though was that only a couple of weeks after switching, I had a cuppa with cow milk at a friend's house (that was all they had), and it seemed like the most disgusting thing I'd ever tasted. Interesting that the body rejects the dairy so quickly after getting out of the habit.

Comment

Am I the only person whose reaction on seeing the thread title was to think this was going to be about Harvey Milk?

Comment

Working...
          X