Tesco's bid to rule us all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesco's bid to rule us all

Tesco opened a new Tesco Express store in Leyland today. They now have three stores like that, as well as a huge Superstore (the one on the bottom left here) within a square mile. Of Leyland. Within the area on that map are also an Aldi, Asda, Morrison's and Iceland, so the need for four Tesco's seems especially remarkable.

Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 25-08-2023, 16:28.

It would be really interesting to see the modeling they do for opening De Novo stores.

Comment

Especially given that they don't have the "push all the the risk onto franchisees" model so common in (non-grocery) retail here.

Comment

Tesco bought the Joyce's chain of local supermarkets in galway. There was on near my house. Joyce's was Held up as an example of the money grubbing approach of the local gombeen man etc. I've got to say that tesco are worse in every possible respect. I genuinely don't understand how they are so successful.

Comment

Within ten/fifteen minutes walk of our house are two Tesco Extras and a full size supermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
            I genuinely don't understand how they are so successful.
            Because of what Gangster Octopus said. It's exactly the same where I am. And the next nearest after those three is also a Tesco Express.

Comment

But to get to the position where you can do this level of nonsense, you have to have been doing something right in the first place, and I don't see it.

Comment

Coincidentally I've just walked to our local Tesco and found it shuttered off with the signage removed and this very professional-looking notice:

Allegedly only closed temporarily for refurbishment not that there's anything suggesting it looking at it. The only other branch within walking distance was sold off last year and is now a OneStop junk food emporium, the nearby Co-op has closed as well.

I'm guessing if you guys are getting more branches opening you must be in more profitable areas not so plagued by shoplifting

Comment

But to get to the position where you can do this level of nonsense, you have to have been doing something right in the first place, and I don't see it.
                  They were the first to get on the big data bandwagon with the loyalty card and all that stuff. The advantage they got over their competitors through that made a huge difference

But yeah when I was in the UK this summer the Tesco was notably shitter than the coop and saunsburys

Comment

You could be ruled by Lidl tbf...

Comment

I'm pretty certain there was a time when for every £9 spent in the UK £1 of was in Tesco.

Also, this will be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an 80 foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory is not what it used to be but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Comment

Tesco bought the Joyce's chain of local supermarkets in galway. There was on near my house. Joyce's was Held up as an example of the money grubbing approach of the local gombeen man etc. I've got to say that tesco are worse in every possible respect. I genuinely don't understand how they are so successful.

the big Tesco here is far better than the local SuperValu for fresh veg, and is cheaper. Maybe no coincidence that the SuperValu franchise for here and the next town over is held by a Kerryman FF developer slumlord.

Tesco is also better than Dunnes in terms of deliveries, again less chance of rotten veg/out of date milk etc. I also hate buying from Dunnes as long as Livia Soprano is running the operation from her kitchen with her Fredo sons, also the last supermarket in Ireland to use zero hours badness as standard.

this isn't saying fucking much though, and is definitely not a Tesco endorsement.
                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 25-08-2023, 18:59.

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post
                          You could be ruled by Lidl tbf...
                          lidl can be pretty good, though Aldi tend to be better (though fuck all use to me with their zero presence in Fingal outside the hellscape of Swords). lidl in Cabra was the only place in Ireland I've seen fresh garlic regularly for sale in season, even fucking Fallon and Byrne would rarely have it.
                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 25-08-2023, 19:00.

Comment

Yeah LIDL is great. By far the best fruit and veg selection within walking distance of us now that the Co-op's closed

Comment

Don't forget that Tesco own Booker, so there's a chance that your local convenience store (especially if it's a Premier) will essentially be selling their own-brand stuff re-labelled as Jack's. To be fair, they're not hiding it with the "part of the Tesco family" slogan.

Comment

I've never heard of Booker, is that E+W only?

Comment

Never heard of it either but it looks like it's a Makro-style wholesaler

Comment

I worked in a Booker (see my post in the WTF thread). Must have been before they were taken over by Tesco. Their own brand was Happy Shopper. I can't remember the last time I saw anything Happy Shopper, presumably with Tesco taking it over it became defunct.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

lidl can be pretty good, though Aldi tend to be better (though fuck all use to me with their zero presence in Fingal outside the hellscape of Swords). lidl in Cabra was the only place in Ireland I've seen fresh garlic regularly for sale in season, even fucking Fallon and Byrne would rarely have it.
                                      Swords is alright. Albeit a bit polarised now in the Pavilions.

Think I prefer to Lidl to Aldi overall though. Definitely in Britain, Ireland too, though been to a lot less Aldis there, the females of my clan, largely preferring Dunne's & Supervalu.

Comment

I don't have any idea what polarised means re a fuckin shopping centre. Swords is 40 years of untrammelled housing development with no plan beyond a developer promised "phase 2 facilities" that never transpired or effective public transport, it's like a Scottish new town that sprung up 30 years later, no lessons learned. Pavementless housing estates, nothing to do that doesn't need a car. Roundabouts pedestrian bridges and the Choke of exhaust fumes. At least (unlike most of Fingal's towns) it has a park, with trees and everything.

Comment

"females"

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                            I worked in a Booker (see my post in the WTF thread). Must have been before they were taken over by Tesco. Their own brand was Happy Shopper. I can't remember the last time I saw anything Happy Shopper, presumably with Tesco taking it over it became defunct.
                                            I remember Happy Shopper. Yes, never seen anywhere now.

Comment

I don't have any idea what polarised means re a fuckin shopping centre. Swords is 40 years of untrammelled housing development with no plan beyond a developer promised "phase 2 facilities" that never transpired or effective public transport, it's like a Scottish new town that sprung up 30 years later, no lessons learned. Pavementless housing estates, nothing to do that doesn't need a car. Roundabouts pedestrian bridges and the Choke of exhaust fumes. At least (unlike most of Fingal's towns) it has a park, with trees and everything.
                                              It means most of the shops are concentrated/polarised in one centre.

Plus it's a fair bit better than any new town in Alba, with its castle and auld style 'historic' high street.

It can't be that difficult for even you to work out...

Comment

"females"
                                                This means...

Comment

That you sound like an incel creep.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X