Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    I think Haley will stay in until Super Tuesday
    It might be a little more difficult now that she lost to "none of the candidates" in the Nevada primary.

Comment

By more than two to one

Comment

Yeah, that might be it for her. I had thought she might want to exist as the lightning rod, like John Kasich did in 2016. But there's no evidence that she does. It's very dead-end stuff now.

Comment

The desperation of her SNL appearance - both from NBC and Haley - was a deathknell.

Comment

AP calls South Carolina for Trump less than 60 seconds after the polls close

Comment

I had no idea about Gabbard's "journey": https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68388154

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                I had no idea about Gabbard's "journey": https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68388154
                Looks like someone who will align themselves to whatever ideology gives them the most political gain and bollocks to principles or genuine beliefs. Strong Liz Truss vibes.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  AP calls South Carolina for Trump less than 60 seconds after the polls close
                  The short BBC news report last night included footage of Trump literally kissing a flag. He is beyond ludicrous.

Comment

The Guardian quotes a poll suggesting Haley would have a better chance of beating Biden* so in the event Biden did beat Trump there would be a "what if" there for the GOP, just as the Dems will have a "what if" if Biden is more unpopular than an alternative may have been. I know the counter would be that counterfactuals are pointless and there really was never a plausible path after Jan 6th 2021 to avoiding these two being the candidates, but it's worth having as a footnote that such a poll existed.

*She has a 16 point lead versus 4 in Trump's favour. OTOH polls have caveats and for this one it's that saying you'll vote Haley is easy when you know she's not going to be on the ballot.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-02-2024, 19:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                      She inspires a special kind of political adulation as well, I had one interaction with a wild-eyed Brazilian telling me that Gabbard "was the most left-wing member of Congress".

Comment

The pundit reaction to SC has been interesting.

They are using words like "trounced", "humbled", "clobbered", etc. for a 60-40 outcome in which Trump was effectively running as an incumbent.

One can imagine what the same people would be writing if Biden won any state by the same margin.

Haley also won the wealthier and better educated parts of the state, which will be relevant for the general election, especially as more than two-thirds of Trump voters told exit polls that they wanted a national abortion ban, which would be an electoral disaster for the party nationally.

Comment

Yeah, I find that media response interesting. Haley overperformed expectations a little, and despite a lot of articles saying "Trump won every part of the Republican Party", Haley was winning 90%+ in some Charleston districts.

It's - of course - humiliating for Haley to get beaten in her home state, but it's not a particularly compelling story of a Trumpy triumph anywhere other than upstate in the hills and in icky Myrtle Beach.

Comment

I know it's extremely hypothetical as desantis bailed very early, but what do you reckon the margin of trump's FLA primary victory would have been?

Comment

It's a difficult counterfactual because we need to work out what the other variables are - would Haley have stayed in if DeSantis did? And if DeSantis stayed in would he have taken enough Trump votes to give Haley a possible victory in New Hampshire?

But if it were an equivalent Trump-DeSantis Florida two-person match up, same as Trump-Haley in South Carolina, I think DeSantis would have done worse than Haley, probably 70-30 to Trump or worse.

Comment

Yes, there are too many counterfactuals for me to have any confidence in a prediction, but I think "worse than Hailey" is very reasonable.

Comment

I think Haley had more "policy"* differences from Trump than Desantis does, and there's a centre-right vote that Haley gets that DeSantis doesn't. On those bases I think Trump beats Desantis by a far wider margin, based simply on DeSantis not having a different constituency or platform*.

*probably the wrong word for the largely incoherent stances that primaries always involve but it's shorthand for positioning herself closer to the traditional GOP.

Comment

Working...
                                  X