• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a rather unusual step from a US prosecutor

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1466813940588064768?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
      It's just so sad that those kids are well versed in what to do. Stay away from the door, don't open the door for anyone, be ready to jump out the window. They handled it remarkably well from that clip, but they've probably done drills and have been told what to do--the fact that they need to know that just makes me want to cry.
      I would imagine that the shooters have too.

Comment

The parents were summoned to the school a few hours before the shooting occurred after a teacher found a drawing of a gun, a person bleeding and the words “help me”, McDonald said at a press conference on Friday morning.

Prosecutors have revealed more details of drawings and writings made by the gunman suggesting the possibility that he was planning a shooting rampage.

Authorities have previously said school officials met with him and his parents the morning of the attack to discuss concerns about his behavior.
        Ugh. That is going to be an awful lot of PTSD going on.

Comment

Rather unbelievably, the prosecutors announced the charges before the parents were taken into custody, and they are now on the run

Comment

That prosecution of the parents is going to be interesting. I expect that the gun lobby will be working very, very hard to shut it down because the implications could be pretty rough for them. But it might be hard to work too hard on shutting it down because the kind of case this is will not make that a very sympathetic position.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Rather unbelievably, the prosecutors announced the charges before the parents were taken into custody, and they are now on the run
              Taking it on the lam. An excellent way to support their son at what is, undoubtedly, the most difficult time in his young life.

Comment

Arrested in Detroit. Their solicitor is claiming that they were not fleeing but just left town for their own safety.

The mother (from the link):
                Just one day before the shooting, a teacher said she saw the boy searching online for ammunition, which prompted a meeting with school officials, Ms McDonald said. After being informed of the incident, Mrs Crumbley texted her son: "LOL I'm not mad at you. You have to learn not to get caught."
                ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Taking it on the lam. An excellent way to support their son at what is, undoubtedly, the most difficult time in his young life.
                  By the sounds of thing, running away was probably a less toxic contribution than their previous interactions with their offspring. The charges are unusual, but once the context is laid out they seem appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                    By the sounds of thing, running away was probably a less toxic contribution than their previous interactions with their offspring.
                    Of course, they probably defaulted on their duty of care years ago. Running away is only the latest example of that. At the same time I'm trying to comprehend the loneliness that fifteen year old kid must be feeling right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      At the same time I'm trying to comprehend the loneliness that fifteen year old kid must be feeling right now.
                      And of course, they're going to try a child as an adult and send him away for the rest of his life.

Comment

Quite.

Comment

A Republican Congressman from Kentucky who isn't even considered that extreme
                          https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1467197523127422979?t=zl6q7baVnx17uyad8RfVYw&s=19

Ours is a profoundly sick country.

Comment

Life without parole for the father and son who murdered Ahmaud Arbery. Minimum 30 years for the third person who filmed it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59912361

Comment

Law enforcement officers had "declined to arrest them" - what the fucking fuck? Is somebody going to be held to account for that?

Comment

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jackie-...d-obstruction/

Comment

Somewhat related from the current Harpers Index:

Percentage of people killed by police (in the US) between 1980 and 2018 whose death certificates list a different cause of death: 55

Percentage by which more men (in the US) died from police encounters than from testicular cancer in 2019: 135

Factor by which the Chicago Police Department's advertising budget is projected to increase this year: 96

Comment

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1495875740168032258?s=20&t=XNy90cFd5F_tLqTlL_5vSg

Comment

I suspect the causality goes both ways. Places with more of a "stand your ground" attitude are more likely to enact those laws.

Comment

Indiana is also working on loosening laws around gun ownership, which is scary given the majority of guns in Chicago come from there already.

Comment

That's a tragedy for Indiana but I suspect that even if they were hard to get in Indiana, they'd still find there way to Chicago pretty easily.
                                          I recall reading back in the day that most of the guns in New York were coming from Virginia.
                                          Major interstates.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ericboehlert/status/1497582918671212545?s=21

Comment

That raises many questions about juries in Florida.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SamTLevin/status/1497989247873265664?t=qHYQ_e6lQItTJggH4edjFw&s=19

Comment

That's a really worrying article Ursus, especially this:

"Kristine Christenson, Smith’s roommate, said that she and others in their apartment complex were “heartbroken,” but weren’t surprised to learn of the shooting. “[Smith’s] been talking about wanting to do something like this for a while,” she said. “As far as I’m concerned, the person who fired back on Smith saved my life.”

How many people are having to live around these nutters and are they not on the law enforcement's radar?

Comment

Yeah, it is scary AF

Part of the context may well be that the Portland Police are not seen as impartial or reliable by a significant proportion of the population.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X