• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Relatively well, I suppose.

Comment

"Active shooter" (by now a depressingly familiar term here) reported at a high school near Portland, Oregon that is on "lock down" (same).

This is the 74th school shooting incident since the massacre at Newtown.

Comment

One student and the shooter reported dead.

Comment

It strikes me that even if the vast majority of the American public decided they'd had enough of this and wanted strict gun control, it would be extremely difficult to enforce. There are just so many of the things.

Comment

That's a genuine challenge, but there are ways to address it, including limitations on ammunition and buy-back programmes.

The fact of the matter is that the majority of the population does in fact favour stricter controls. Our collective inability to reflect that popular will in legislation is yet another sign of the dysfunctional nature of our political system.

Comment

Ah, those resourceful entrepreneurs

Comment

I saw that yesterday, but was too depressed to post it.

Any school board that buys them should be voted out of office (but won't be).

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: That's a genuine challenge, but there are ways to address it, including limitations on ammunition and buy-back programmes.

The fact of the matter is that the majority of the population does in fact favour stricter controls. Our collective inability to reflect that popular will in legislation is yet another sign of the dysfunctional nature of our political system.
                  Congress will be the death of America as a great power, eventually. It's why part of me doesn't really care anymore when a President oversteps his executive boundaries. A President as dictator is troubling in many different ways, but Congress just isn't worth respecting anymore. Go have another circle jerk and symbolically repeal Obamacare.

Comment

You really can't make this stuff up.

A Colorado prosecutor said he's frustrated that the state's "Make My Day" law prevents him from charging a man who killed an acquaintance during a drunken brawl that spilled into his home, becoming the latest test to self-defense gun laws nationwide.

Comment

Florida (and the 11th Circuit).

The gag law, nicknamed the Docs vs. Glocks law by its detractors, was passed by an overwhelmingly Republican Legislature brimming over with money from NRA lobbyists. It would seem to be an obvious First Amendment violation: For asking a patient a question that could save his child’s life, a doctor in Florida could lose her medical license or be fined $10,000.

The state has no rational—let alone compelling—interest in censoring doctors from asking this basic question, much less preventing doctors from making evidence-based recommendations about public health and safety. And the law is so broad and vague that even an indirect inquiry could potentially qualify as illegal “harassment of a patient regarding firearm ownership.”

On Friday, however, two Republican-appointed judges on an 11th Circuit panel upheld the law as constitutional, insisting that the gag order was merely a reasonable “regulation of professional conduct.” In the eyes of the majority, gun ownership—even among parents of young children—is “a private matter irrelevant to medical care,” and even an innocuous question about gun safety “is not part of the practice of good medicine.”

Comment

I read some horrible story last week about parents hearing a crash from where their children were playing and not going to check to see what happened. A dresser fell on top of their two kids and killed them. The parents have been arrested. If only they left a gun lying around, their kids could have killed each other, and the parents would be still free today.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Florida (and the 11th Circuit).

The gag law, nicknamed the Docs vs. Glocks law by its detractors, was passed by an overwhelmingly Republican Legislature brimming over with money from NRA lobbyists. It would seem to be an obvious First Amendment violation: For asking a patient a question that could save his child’s life, a doctor in Florida could lose her medical license or be fined $10,000.

The state has no rational—let alone compelling—interest in censoring doctors from asking this basic question, much less preventing doctors from making evidence-based recommendations about public health and safety. And the law is so broad and vague that even an indirect inquiry could potentially qualify as illegal “harassment of a patient regarding firearm ownership.”

On Friday, however, two Republican-appointed judges on an 11th Circuit panel upheld the law as constitutional, insisting that the gag order was merely a reasonable “regulation of professional conduct.” In the eyes of the majority, gun ownership—even among parents of young children—is “a private matter irrelevant to medical care,” and even an innocuous question about gun safety “is not part of the practice of good medicine.”
                          How can that possibly stand? The court doesn't get to regulate the practice of medicine like that.

Comment

The theory is that the legislature does get to regulate the practice of medicine, and that this is a valid use of state power to protect gun owners' privacy rights in the absence of a compelling state interest (the majority appears to dismiss the concern over the number of "accidental" child shootings that led to the practice).

It's an extreme argument, but the 11th Circuit is extreme, and this is now the law in Alabama, Florida and Georgia.

Comment

What a backwards shithole.

Comment

Was thinking about putting this in the Mike Brown thread but probably more suitable in here. Grandmother shoots 7 year old grandson mistaking him for an intruder.

Comment

Stand your ground, indeed. I mean, who can tell what havoc a 7 year old armed with a chair could wreak?

Comment

I'm just seriously confused by how anybody could be so paranoid to have a gun under the pillow and a chair on the door for protection in a perfectly middle-class part of Tampa (as said in the article, and they name her address so you can check for yourself - looks fine).

I mean, I grew up across the street from a crack den in a mostly black, working-class part of San Francisco. My dad's car got broken into a couple times and you occasionally hear gun shots from a couple blocks away. There were almost certainly some people in gangs. It was not the safest neighborhood in the early 90s, and it's not the safest one now, although it's got better (as has almost everywhere in SF, thanks to rising house prices).

The idea that we would need a gun, and to barricade ourselves in our room in the face of an expected home invasion, was not considered by my family. Because we weren't fucking retarded.

This most peculiar and unhealthy paranoia that affects a lot of Americans needs to stop, now. Crime is going down, we are safer than ever.

Comment

Ah, you see, that's because all the good guys have guns.

Comment

From a purely actuarial standpoint, of course, bringing a gun into a house significantly increases the chances that someone in your family will die from a gunshot. The argument that having a gun will protect you, statistically, is hogwash.

But it's no use telling this to gun nuts, because their gun love is not rational to begin with.

Comment

Well, perhaps if the kid had had a gun he could have shot Grandma first.

I can't believe I typed that, but there you go.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: Well, perhaps if the kid had had a gun he could have shot Grandma first.

I can't believe I typed that, but there you go.
                                            Ha ha, yes. And all the people who accidentally shoot themselves obviously just needed two guns, so they can shoot themselves before they shoot themselves.

Comment

My local paper has been running a series, written elsewhere, about gun issues. Yesterday's installment had some pretty shocking statistics on children killed by guns: 28,000 from 2002 through 2012.
                                              Original site here: Gun Wars.
                                              One reason it's better to link to the original is that the comments on the newspaper site, even on just a skim, are hideous, not that I'm surprised.

Comment

Flynnie wrote: I'm just seriously confused by how anybody could be so paranoid to have a gun under the pillow and a chair on the door for protection in a perfectly middle-class part of Tampa (as said in the article, and they name her address so you can check for yourself - looks fine).
                                                Indeed, I stayed in a not particularly high end part of Tampa and it seemed absolutely fine (and this was when there was a fair few car jackings of tourists like us in Florida). Indeed, it felt much more secure than a couple of places we lived in London that were akin to the places you mention in the paragraph below

I mean, I grew up across the street from a crack den in a mostly black, working-class part of San Francisco. My dad's car got broken into a couple times and you occasionally hear gun shots from a couple blocks away. There were almost certainly some people in gangs. It was not the safest neighborhood in the early 90s, and it's not the safest one now, although it's got better (as has almost everywhere in SF, thanks to rising house prices).

Comment

Nevada.

An instructor who was shot by a 9-year-old girl who fired an Uzi at a northwestern Arizona shooting range died Monday night at University Medical Center in Las Vegas.

The girl fired the weapon at the outdoor range that caters to heavy tourism traffic along U.S. Highway 93 between Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon Skywalk.

Highway signage and Internet advertising beckons visitors to stop in, fire a machine gun and enjoy a meal at the Bullets and Burgers enterprise at the Last Stop, about 25 miles south of Las Vegas.
                                                  The entire article is surreal.

Comment

was just going to post this. holy fuck.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X