• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Because self-defense or whatever.
    Feral pigs

Comment

That's one way to refer to the gun-toting bastards, yes.

Comment

Has it been pointed out that, not only did the cops fail to intervene in this attack, neither did all of the well-armed citizen patriots of Texas?

Comment

Well, some of them were held at bay by the cops

Comment

Silencers in film making that little “thwip thwip” sound is one of those lies that the audience has collectively decided to accept. The other one is that museums protect valuable things with a grid or lasers.
            Originally posted by WOM View Post
            And if a license plate is blurry, zooming in tighter makes it exponentially clearer.
            At the risk of introducing a needless bit of frippery into a serious thread, these fall under what TV Tropes calls The Coconut Effect:
            ...any sound effect, special effect, or design feature that is unrealistic, but still has to be included because viewers have been so conditioned to expect it that its absence would be even more jarring.
            – named for the traditional use of coconut shells to simulate the sound of horses' hooves, without which sound effect audiences apparently grew to decide that horses' hooves don't sound like horses' hooves, i.e. more accurate modern recordings would sound 'wrong' to people. (Coconut shells are, of course, only approximate to the sound of hooves on paved or cobbled roads, not on grass or dirt or sand or...)
            Related subjects include the metallic "tsschiiiiinnnng" of a sword being drawn from a leather scabbard, the "peew peew" of a laser being fired, or the standard flasks of brightly coloured liquids to equal Science Is Being Done Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Well, some of them were held at bay by the cops
              We were told that that would not stop them from Exercising Their Rights.

Comment

Comment

Only 15 markers? There were 30 shots down the road from me this weekend and that will be a fraction of the number achieved this weekend.

<i now see a 68 shell casing story further down. That is more what I am expecting>
                  Last edited by caja-dglh; 31-05-2022, 02:42.

Comment

Not looking to get competitive, but there is one thing Chicago typically wins at over the past decade.

https://abc7chicago.com/memorial-day...rime/11908225/

Comment

Somehow, family picnics always lead to trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                        At the risk of introducing a needless bit of frippery into a serious thread, these fall under what TV Tropes calls The Coconut Effect:
                        – named for the traditional use of coconut shells to simulate the sound of horses' hooves, without which sound effect audiences apparently grew to decide that horses' hooves don't sound like horses' hooves, i.e. more accurate modern recordings would sound 'wrong' to people. (Coconut shells are, of course, only approximate to the sound of hooves on paved or cobbled roads, not on grass or dirt or sand or...)
                        Related subjects include the metallic "tsschiiiiinnnng" of a sword being drawn from a leather scabbard, the "peew peew" of a laser being fired, or the standard flasks of brightly coloured liquids to equal Science Is Being Done Here.
                        I've never or heard seen coconuts used for horses travelling on turf / dirt tracks, just a clumpy clumpy sound

Comment

You've never seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Guy?

(EDIT: Moments after posting that, I realised they weren't really being used for the sound of horses in that film, but for the sound of ... well, coconuts being clapped together. As you were.)

Comment

Silencers in film making that little “thwip thwip” sound is one of those lies that the audience has collectively decided to accept. The other one is that museums protect valuable things with a grid or lasers.
                            And that nobody made a backup of The Disk.

Comment

And that every 'spy device' has a little red light on it, sometimes blinking.

I've always wanted to write a movie scene where the two guys go into a quiet bar (usually Irish, called Kelly's or something) to have the Big Important Conversation. "Two beers here" and instead of just serving two beers so they can get on with it, it devolves into a long, convoluted conversation about bottle or draft, what style IPA, half or pint, etc.

I worked at a bar that had 12 beer on tap and about 30 bottles, so I know that I could drag that out for 40 minutes.

Comment

It would also be fun to write one of those wistful "Do you remember the time...." conversations, usually at the point when the couple realizes their 15 year marriage is actually over.

"Do you remember that little apartment we lived in right after we met? Third floor walk up, above the Chinese laundry. Kitchen was so small you couldn't be in there making coffee if I was boiling an egg?" I'll drag it out awhile, and she'll just be like "No."

Comment

I didn't realise that the AR-15 is the Armalite, from the ballotbox and armalite strategy.

Comment

WaPo also reporting that there were "at least" another 12 mass shootings over Memorial Day weekend.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...anooga-uvalde/

Comment

Chattanooga did briefly

Comment

I've always wanted to write a movie scene where the two guys go into a quiet bar (usually Irish, called Kelly's or something) to have the Big Important Conversation. "Two beers here" and instead of just serving two beers so they can get on with it, it devolves into a long, convoluted conversation about bottle or draft, what style IPA, half or pint, etc.

I worked at a bar that had 12 beer on tap and about 30 bottles, so I know that I could drag that out for 40 minutes.
                                        I think you mentioned this idea once before on the Movie Clichés thread.

Comment

I think you mentioned this idea once before on the Movie Clichés thread.
                                          I should just write it and get it out of my system.

Comment

Yes, I just went and found it – page 13 of 35 in the Movie/TV clichés thread, from April 2016:

Also, two guys / two girls / guy and girl/ girl and tree sloth walk into an [Irish] bar and say "Two beer" and get down to their heart to heart talk.

I'd love to hear it play out like...
                                            "Sure, draft or bottle?"
                                            "Uh...bottle."
                                            "Domestic? Import. Light?"
                                            "Oh, uh....import...light."
                                            "Okay, cuz I've got a nice Amstel Light that we're doing two-for-one this week..."
                                            Etc.

Comment

Yes, I just went and found it – page 13 of 35 in the Movie/TV clichés thread, from April 2016:
                                              Jeezus....I've been sitting on this gold for 6 years?

Comment

"Nice Amstel Light" is not a sentence that exists in English.

Comment

Well to be fair it's not a sentence at all

Comment

Working...
                                                  X