The World Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The World Forum

It appears that I can only view it if I log on to the site.

A new feature to protect people?

Or just my shit IT?

The former.

Comment

Being devil's advocate, does hiding the World forum run the risk of putting off new people joining up. I came for the Football forum, and stayed for the World forum (albeit in a viewing capacity). Will it condem the board to an ever decreasing amount of members?

Comment

Thank you.

I don't read all the threads when I do occasionally pop on here.

Comment

I think I'm with Inca here. Would it be possible to have a members only forum where threads that people only want viewable to OTFers could be put, and World could remain viewable for people who aren't logged in?

If that's not possible then I'd opt for privacy over other concerns, but if there was a way around it that would be even better.

Comment

I mean, I don't want to cause any trouble over this. I was just wondering.

I totally understand why this was done.

Comment

It isn't Inca

It is Inca's avatar, but not him

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                I think I'm with Inca here.
                Psst. It wasn't Inca. I've been caught out by the same thing before. They just have very similar avatars

Comment

I didn't realize that people use this place regularly without logging in.

I wonder if Snake has any way if determining how common that is, though my guess is that he does not.

Comment

Apologies for the Avatar mix-up - I've changed mine. I had noticed that they were the same and had meant for ages to change mine, as he was there first. This was finally the driver to go and actaully do it - and the bonus is I can't see anyone else ever going with one like my new one.

I guess we both have a soft spot for Mexico '86

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

I wonder if Snake has any way if determining how common that is, though my guess is that he does not.
                      I reckon there's more 'lurkers' (like me) than posters.

World is an interesting place, with educational and informative posters like Balders and DM (and a few others).

Still, all's good from my end, I'll log in more as and when.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post

I reckon there's more 'lurkers' (like me) than posters.

World is an interesting place, with educational and informative posters like Balders and DM (and a few others).

Still, all's good from my end, I'll log in more as and when.
                        +1 for being a lurker - World has definitely been a source of education and entertainment for me

Comment

Originally posted by fospheny View Post
                          Being devil's advocate, does hiding the World forum run the risk of putting off new people joining up. I came for the Football forum, and stayed for the World forum (albeit in a viewing capacity). Will it condem the board to an ever decreasing amount of members?
                          This was my immediate thought on hearing this. World is almost our showpiece, and the main thing that shows we are not just mostly talking about Football. It is key to the community, but also to the outside world being able to appreciate such a community exists here. Would a MsD have joined without the World forum being public, for example? The board would be a poorer place if we didn't get posters such as her joining.

I'm not sure how to square this with delicatemoth's entirely grounded concerns, mind. I'm not sure it is at all possible to do that, in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

I often do. I'm not generally logged in when I first open the site, and will only do so if I want to post something. Then I'll generally leave it logged in for that session. Ergo, I was another this evening thinking "Has the World forum been deleted?" before the idea it might be only visible to community members occurred as a possibility.

Comment

I realise that it may be hard for those now here to believe, but I lurked for two plus years before I ever posted.

I can understand there being a reluctance to set up an account, but once one does so (it being dead easy, and generating zero emails or other nonsense), one can lurk forever.

And thank you fospheny. That is a considerate move.

Comment

Why do people who don't log in not log in? I mean, if you have a login. I just am logged in, I never do it. I'd have to deliberately log out in order to log in.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                  Why do people who don't log in not log in? I mean, if you have a login. I just am logged in, I never do it. I'd have to deliberately log out in order to log in.
                                  +1

Comment

I log out so I can see the thread about how DG is doing. I tried taking Gonzo off ignore, but I couldn't maintain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                      I'm not sure how to square this with delicatemoth's entirely grounded concerns, mind. I'm not sure it is at all possible to do that, in fact.
                                      Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                      Would it be possible to have a members only forum where threads that people only want viewable to OTFers could be put, and World could remain viewable for people who aren't logged in?
                                      That's how, if it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                        I sometimes go for a few weeks without logging in. Sometime because I'm away or busy and sometimes I lurk because I'm not up to a social environment I have an investment in. It feels safer to be able to watch interactions. Even virtual ones, even here.

Having said that, I understand why it's been done. It may not be the ideal way to wall the garden, but we're not living in easy times. Don't know if there's a better solution, and I'll support whatever.

Has anyone noticed Nick and Janik have the same avatar as me? Someone has to change.

Comment

Happy to listen to suggestions. A private sub forum of a publicly viewable World is possible but will it get any traffic bar a couple of threads? I genuinely don’t know.

Comment

Probably not. Would that matter?

Comment

I don't understand the problem we're trying to solve.

Comment

On another forum I used, we kept a couple of threads for members only where people could talk about personal stuff. The Mundane Thread kind of covers that but there’s also sensitive info in the Depression thread and dm’s thread, maybe some others. Keeping sensitive info to appropriate threads is then down to poster awareness and discipline.
                                                I’ve been cyber-stalked quite a lot and it’s horrible, but there are other dangers in sharing info, and ways that people could identify you if they wish to.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                                  Would a MsD have joined without the World forum being public, for example? The board would be a poorer place if we didn't get posters such as her joining.
                                                  That’s jolly nice of you to say.
                                                  Definitely an improvement to being likened to a discarded bin-bag full of maggoty yogurt or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X