Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. The lord Jesus Christ.

Comment

Why did he appear in court dressed as an orc?

Comment

I'd've said that's a grumpy Vulcan.

Comment

He has been in prison (and is now back).

That is "correction casual".

It is also a consistent style for that particular court sketch artist.

Comment

This is a great article about Effective Altruism.

https://www.wired.com/story/deaths-o...tive-altruism/

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
              Yes. The lord Jesus Christ.
              Hahahaha. I'm not sure that the good judge would necessarily agree. BTW, he's 79 fucking years old! That's quite late to become world famous for your profession isn't it?

Comment

Yes, the Wired article is indeed very good

Kaplan was a very well respected litigator for 20 years before he was appointed to the Southern Diatrict bench and has always been among it's leading lights.

I am a bit surprised that you didn't encounter him given your interest in NYC mob cases, as he presided over quite a few high profile trials of Gambino Family wise guys.

Comment

BTW, the oldest active Federal judge is 96

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Kaplan was a very well respected litigator for 20 years before he was appointed to the Southern Diatrict bench and has always been among it's leading lights.

I am a bit surprised that you didn't encounter him given your interest in NYC mob cases, as he presided over quite a few high profile trials of Gambino Family wise guys.
                    It’s great, but Wired’s mobile site is glitchy. It took me a while to read that because it kept jumping around when the ads would do something I didn’t ask for.

Comment

Also very.true

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        So, if we're playing Price Is Right rules, and of course we are....Sporting wins it.
                        I concur.

Comment

Worthwhile polemical piece from the Nation on SBF's continued delusion

https://www.thenation.com/article/ec...utm_term=daily

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Stuff post 2000 doesn't really count I'm afraid. It's just too tragic and embarrassing. What would Arnold rothstein, lucky Luciano and Meyer lansky have to say about the pitiable case of john gotti Jr? It's all gone to shit since they locked up the chin.

Comment

https://twitter.com/davidmcw/status/1775056839832490440

Comment

I always get a bit concerned about someone’s take when they can’t spell Michael.

Comment

Never mind that, what about “we tease of the story”?

Comment

Mícheal is the irish for Michael, it could just be an autocorrect. Then again mc Williams is a gregarious day drinker, so there is also that

I think analogue bubble bath used to have to sub edit his pieces at one stage. He formed the distinct impression that even the emails smelled of stale booze
                                    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 02-04-2024, 17:10.

Comment

I had to sit through a presentation of his vacuous nonsense to my sector, it was peak covid so he was casting from his kitchen, would not be surprised if he was at least half a bottle deep from his a little too relaxed demeanor. And of course he soon after contradicted all the boosterish yis are all great shite he was feeding us in one of his columns of skitters in the Irish Times.

I did get a hamper of sheridans cheese, crackers and not bad wine from the orgainisers for my troubles though. So on balance, hes a good thing.
                                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 02-04-2024, 19:52.

Comment

Rather weird to call Lewis "great" in the context of something about SBF given his repeated self-owns on the subject.

Comment

Apropos of nothing, really, I was reminded of the marvelous scam artist who started ZZZZ Best Carpet Cleaning when he was still in high school - Barry Minkow. So I went to read up on him. Apparently the scamming never stopped, no matter how many times he was busted and went to jail. Good grief.

Should you be interested....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_...ion_and_prison

Comment

When he was nine years old, his mother got him a job as a telemarketer with the carpet-cleaning business where she worked.​
                                            What a country!

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                              Apropos of nothing, really, I was reminded of the marvelous scam artist who started ZZZZ Best Carpet Cleaning when he was still in high school - Barry Minkow. So I went to read up on him. Apparently the scamming never stopped, no matter how many times he was busted and went to jail. Good grief.

Should you be interested....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_...ion_and_prison
                                              Dan Davies' book on frauds is good on this point. Scammers tend to keep on scamming. See also the Fyre Festival guy, who started a new scam while on trial for the first one.

Comment

Working...
                                              X