Ipod/New laptop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ipod/New laptop question

Right, I've tried this at the other place but I may as well post it up here. I've got meself a new 'puter and want to get my iTuines up and running, but I don't want to wipe my 'Pod.

Can I extract the music from my player to my computer and then load it up onto itunes, or do I have to have the original mp3 format (which is on my computer)?

Ipod/New laptop question

There's one solution I can think of – if you plug an iPod into a PC, it comes up on My Computer as an external hard disk. (You need to be careful though that it doesn't launch iTunes and wipe your iPod.)

You could then search the iPod for audio files using Explorer and copy them onto your hard disk.

However, I haven't had an iPod for years, so there may be a better method.

Comment

Ipod/New laptop question

I don't have itunes on it yet for that reason. Interesting...

Comment

Ipod/New laptop question

I'm not sure what the latest situation is with iTunes - it used to be that it would ask you first if you wanted to associate an iPod with a new library, and you could set it to manually update songs so that it didn't wipe everything. Even if you can't do that, there are a number of programmes that let you copy stuff off your iPod. Check www.ilounge.com for the full list, but I've found XPlay to be the easiest.

Comment

Ipod/New laptop question

I'm not sure what the latest situation is with iTunes - it used to be that it would ask you first if you wanted to associate an iPod with a new library
          I've only just started using iTunes and it does just that.

Comment

Ipod/New laptop question

I always was told that you are Not Allowed to copy music from your Ipod to a computer, unless you have also copied the mp3/etc files onto it as if it were a hard disk as well, and who does that? Ie the normal files it uses aren't supposed to be able to be transferred onto a computer.

however I have no doubt that someone got round that years ago and there's some kind of stuff out there to do exactly that.

Comment

Ipod/New laptop question

But yeah, you just want to do the whole manage it manually thing.

Comment

Ipod/New laptop question

GY or Nico, does this mean I can download iTunes and copy the music that is on my iPod onto the laptop?

Comment

Ipod/New laptop question

What is my answer? Chopped liver?

No you can't, officially, but you probably can find some software that will let you do it.

Comment

Ipod/New laptop question

And I think that is what the esteemed GY has linked to further up.

Comment

Ipod/New laptop question

You can't do it within iTunes, but you can (or could, and Nico's comment suggests you still can) install and use iTunes without it deleting all your music, as long as you're careful. You'll still have to use third party software to get your music off the iPod and on to your computer, at least if you want to do it easily. If you set your iPod into hard disk mode, you can just bulk copy the music folder and reimport it, but the folder structure and filenames are really messy.

Comment

Ipod/New laptop question

Oh, you know, btw, I forgot, GY, I sent you a PM last week.

Comment

Ipod/New laptop question

I got it sorted by the way.

Use this link if you anyone else needs to do the same. Page two is most useful.

Comment

Working...
                          X