Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No, not Elvis (The King Charles thread) (No, not the spaniel, either)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, not Elvis (The King Charles thread) (No, not the spaniel, either)

Just wondered whether anyone agreed it might be worth having a separate thread for commenting on the performance of Charles III as he is now officially called, as there is so much else naturally being discussed on the QE2 thread (notably the national insanity developing around the faked/mandated or crowd psychology-induced "mourning").

Charles starts with a bit of a historically blotted copy-book from his treatment of Diana of course, and a public still on average distinctly lukewarm about him and Camilla as a couple given the background.

Since becoming King he (or in some cases his staff) has already put several feet wrong, notably:

- the awful decision to make Andrew one of his "counsellors of state" holiday cover options (incredibly, while Anne is not one)

- an public outburst of considerable and charmless tetchiness about a leaky fountain pen;

- the rushed and insensitive appointment of William as PoW

- the sacking of his household staff.

He's not going to win the affection of even the royalist portion of the population I feel. Will he be so unpopular as to create a real chance of a republic?

Read up about his relationship with the Rev Peter Ball.

Comment

I believe that the Andrew thing is down to lines of succession.

Comment

There's been two instances in the past week when he's lost his shit over a leaking pen and an inkwell/blotter being in the wrong place which suggests his reputation for being an entitled, stuck-up wanker is very well deserved

When he pegs it (ahem) in the near future I suspect the queue of mourners will be rather shorter than you'll see this week
        Last edited by colchestersid; 14-09-2022, 11:31.

Comment

Look, he was a Prince, now he's the King. Of course he's an entitled, stuck up wanker.

Comment

On the Andrew thing

Comment

That's Peston writing as eloquently and accurately as he speaks. Top four in succession over 21 are Andrew, William, Harry and Beatrice. Anne would be... fifth? I can't be arsed looking up the age of the other daughter.

Comment

Eugenie is 32.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                  That's Peston writing as eloquently and accurately as he speaks. Top four in succession over 21 are Andrew, William, Harry and Beatrice. Anne would be... fifth? I can't be arsed looking up the age of the other daughter.
                  Eugenie would be fifth. Edward would be sixth.

Comment

If Charles is incapacitated, surely William takes over as Prince Regent, like George IV did.

Comment

Anne is seventh.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                        If Charles is incapacitated, surely William takes over as Prince Regent, like George IV did.
                        Yes. Then Harry. Andrew only does if Charles, William and Harry are all incapacitated or unavailable, which given that Harry lives in the US is disturbingly possible.

Comment

Can someone explain the title of this thread to me please?

Comment

The King, innit.

Comment

I'm going with a King reference.

The King (No, not Elvis) at a guess.

Comment

I keep reading King Charles III as King Charles Ill

Bloody rubbish Helvetica typefaces

Comment

Snake has got it in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                    I keep reading King Charles III as King Charles Ill

Bloody rubbish Helvetica typefaces
                                    Roman numerals in sans serif just look wrong, don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by torres View Post
                                      Read up about his relationship with the Rev Peter Ball.
                                      Not to mention Laurens van der Post.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post

And Jimmy Saville and Lord Mountbatten and...

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                          Not heard owt about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                            - the rushed and insensitive appointment of William as PoW
                                            William's a Prisoner of War? I must read the news more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

William's a Prisoner of War? I must read the news more often.
                                              Might be if the Cymry revolt with force of arms

Comment

Anne is seventh in line to the throne, but probably only 50-somethingth in the list of royals who need to get in the fucking sea right now.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                                  Anne is seventh in line to the throne, but probably only 50-somethingth in the list of royals who need to get in the fucking sea right now.
                                                  Surprisingly, she is the first ever member of the family to have been convicted of a criminal offence for having an out of control dog.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X