Have you ever been "bounced"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever been "bounced"?

Came across this on youtube, which made me chuckle.

https://youtu.be/EnGZFaltmYs

Surprisingly, although there have been a couple of occasions over the years when I've needed a bit of help getting home from a pub having enjoyed myself a little too exuberantly, I've only ever once been asked in no uncertain terms to leave an establishment, when I was too loudly referring to the local foxhunt as a bunch of bloodthirsty cunts in a pub in East Finchley, not realising that the landlord, and half the other customers, were all hunt members.

Once, in Croydon. Never understood what it was or what I might have said. Luckily it was 5 minutes before last orders so everyone else tipped out very shortly afterwards

Comment

I've been with friends who've been bounced, but never been bounced myself despite behaving atrociously at times. A friend of mine wound up a bouncer without meaning to and the bouncer threw him down the stairs and out of the nightclub. I once had to protect another extremely drunken friend from bouncers when she was shouting, swearing and refusing to leave. I called in three six foot male friends of mine who I knew would be able to physically remove her but wouldn't hurt her like the bouncers might, and I called my dad to come and collect us and drive her home.

I have also never been refused entry anywhere since about age 16, which is what happens when you're a relatively attractive white woman and you develop early. Guys I've been with have often been refused entry. I've sometimes helped with this. I remember one instance where some friends of mine were refused entry because they were wearing trainers. One guy had a pair of formal shoes so I went in with him first, then took his shoes out in my handbag for the next friend to change into round the corner and repeated until all my male friends were safely inside the club and could change into their trainers. I've also successfully got male friends into places, and prevented them from being removed from places, by flirting with bouncers.

Comment

I managed to get myself and a bunch of college friends barred from one of our locals when I was about nineteen, mouthy ghet that I was.

They didn’t, however, extend the bar to the old drunk with whom I’d argued. But then they wouldn’t - supporting his addiction was obviously worth at least £30 a week to them. ‘And that was a lot of money in those days.’

Comment

I've been asked to leave a pub in Whitehaven, and told I was barred on the way out - wasn't even pissed, just pissing about. Also had a row with the son of the owner of my local in Cumbria after he'd brought some arrogant mates in one night and me and the other regulars weren't entirely accommodating to them in the pool room. He told me my sort of cheap custom wasn't required and I wouldn't be missed if I fucked off (I wasn't drinking at the time but regularly brought in 3 or 4 others by car who were), so we flounced and went somewhere else for a week. Nothing was said next time we went in.

In later life I've been refused entry to two pubs in The Rocks district of Sydney, the first one as I was carrying a pint from a pub up the road, and the second one because I was telling the bouncer that his landlord was a corrupt, fraudulent cunt for serving me two minutes before closing and then wanting everyone out (without their drinks).

Comment

Oh god yeah. Fucking loads of times over the years for various reasons, ranging from gross injustices to bang to rights. I have, of course, also bounced people before as well, both through the power of the spoken word, and also physically.

Comment

Too many times to remember between the ages of 18 and 21. I was barred from the student union bar for most of my second year at university for pushing over a flower display, which seemed harsh to me at the time. I had smashed a window the week before, so that might have had something to do with it as well. I was a total twat during those years, but I do think a bit of classism played its part in expelling me but not the rugby twats that could get away with whatever they wanted. But yeah, falling over drunk was a regular experience for me back then.

Comment

Bounced out of Passions "Nightclub" in Workington after a female friend of mine was propositioned by a very drunk, very handsy man. When she politely declined he punched her in the face, so I let him have one back*.

The bouncers came over and threw us out. Turns out I'd punched one of their mates and they didn't take kindly.

I did not go quietly.

*I should add that she was entirely capable of punching him herself, it was a reflex temper reaction. She did buy me a kebab though.
                Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 11-09-2022, 14:29.

Comment

I was thrown out of the Gas Club (I think it is - just down from the McAlpine) in Huddersfield when some Huddersfield fans dropped a glass near to where I was stood and I laughed at the barmaid for trying to blame me for it. It didn't register with her that I was still holding my beer in my hand at the time.

Amazingly, I'm sure that's the only time. I got into some right states when I was 18-22 or so, but I tended to avoid trouble mostly.

Comment

I was ejected before kick-off at the Man Utd - Liverpool game on 1st October 1977 for causing a mini avalanche in the Stretford End.

Comment

I was bounced from Dalymount Park in my first game as a member of Bohemians, versus Dundee United in the UEFA Cup in 1986. Myself and a group of mates head a disagreement with some Celtic jersey wearing pricks who were throwing coins at Hamish Mc Alpine, for some reason two burly cops decided I was the problem. I thought I'd get barred by the club, as it happened, I got back in to watch the last 20 minutes.

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. A mate of mine has been cursed with protruding ears ,as well as an inability to keep his mouth shut when it's good for him. He was leaving a nightclub in Liverpool when the bouncer made a remark " where'd you get those ears pal?", wittily but dangerously he replied " off your ma, she keeps grabbing them when I'm riding her " the result was by all accounts a spectacular kicking.

They went to the police station, where after a number of attempts to understand what the desk sergeants question " are your knackers inflamed?" meant, he agreed to sent a couple of plods back with them, the result was the bouncers backed each other. The night ended with a half hour cab ride because nobody could remember the name of the hotel ,so all in all it was a great night.

Comment

I wonder if there are any comparative statistics on this.

My strong sense is that it is much more common in the UK than the US or EU.

Comment

Going out and getting unreasonably pissed is probably much more common, too.

Comment

Well yes, as is puking in the street

Comment

We're a strange island, in a number of ways.

Comment

USAmericans can't handle their drink, in my experience. Two-pint charlies, the lot of them. That may be a good or bad thing, though, to be fair. Bar fights, I expect, start sooner over there. They certainly seem to in Clint Eastwood films.
                                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 11-09-2022, 16:25.

Comment

A very strange island, indeed

Comment

I was once refused entry to a pub in Liverpool on the basis that I was on my own and not in a group. I looked at the bouncer sighed and walked off, I hadn't even had my first drink. Also got barred for life from a strip pub in Southend (The Forresters) for watching the act but not buying a drink. The landlord soon moved on and the local rock and roll went there on a Sunday so I started going there again.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      A very strange island, indeed
                                      The only time I have ever seen a gun pulled and fired was in a row with staff outside a bar in Bordeaux ( in the air thankfully)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                        Also got barred for life from a strip pub in Southend (The Forresters) for watching the act but not buying a drink.
                                        Couldn't see the Forresters for the fees...

Comment

Oof.

Comment

No.

Comment

Also a no here, although I have been with two friends who have been 86ed, one for having an upside-down American flag on the back of his jacket, and the other who after being informed that the bar had been recently renovated said that he preferred how it was originally.

Comment

What does 86ed mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                  What does 86ed mean?
                                                  Eighty-six is slang meaning "to throw out," "to get rid of," or "to refuse service to." It comes from 1930s soda-counter slang meaning that an item was sold out. There is varying anecdotal evidence about why the term eighty-six was used, but the most common theory is that it is rhyming slang for nix.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X