Digital Data Organisation & Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Data Organisation & Storage

I've been meaning to start a thread about this for a while now, even before it was touched upon on the new laptop thread, (I think it was).

I don't have a vast amount of digital data to sort and protect, a few thousand images perhaps, a handful of videos and a few score documents and spreadsheets. At present I've got the bulk of them sitting on memory sticks with a few more saved on my laptop hard-drive or as e-mail attachments. It's a right old mess.

I'm usually quite a sorted person so I'm a little surprised that I'm so disorganised when it comes to the above. So, OTF, what is your strategy in this matter, both in terms of the hardware deployed, extent of duplication and back-up, but also categorisation, for want of a better word?

Photos on Google, everything else on a NAS. No particular categorisation beyond folders. Don't need to for the photos, because of Google's scary search algorithm.

Comment

I literally just bought an external hard drive to store all the photos off my PC as the memory has run out. Its a 4 terabyte one. I bought it from Argos.

Comment

And I've just had to buy a USB stick for work.

We used to have loads lying around the office but not anymore.

Comment

My work banned USB sticks ages ago for security reasons. They don't even work if you plug them in to a work issued machine.

Comment

You're never going to get it 100% correct, because people are messy.

I use OneDrive for personal stuff and sync everything to the cloud and across devices. (You get 1Tb with a paid Microsoft 365 subscription and you can use it on up to five of any combination of Mac, PC, tablet and phone.)

For the shared stuff between Mrs P and I, we have a 36Tb worth of Synology NAS where she stores her photos and documents. Our MP3s and video files are kept on there too. She has never got the hang of folders or naming conventions, but she does know to just dump stuff in there and use search/most recent files to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
              My work banned USB sticks ages ago for security reasons. They don't even work if you plug them in to a work issued machine.
              Ours have to be encrypted using a specific protocol that basically makes them inoperative on other machines.

Comment

For us it's more that they're worried people will put in infected ones. Though with the malware that tricks your PC into thinking the USB stick is a keyboard I'm not sure the policy is going to be effective any more.

Comment

Four external hard drives, four USB pen drives totalling about 4TB of storage. Half of that backing up the PC's main drive, the rest for extra videos/music/podcasts and ROMs and disc images to use in emulators.

Everything methodically named and placed in sub-folders within larger folders depending on file type, genre, format etc. I even use a program called Folder Marker to make them colour-coded.

I only use cloud storage for smaller files like photos and documents due to my internet still being a bit slow at the moment. Larger stuff buffers like nobody's business and downloading is a lottery no matter what browser or proxy settings I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    I literally just bought an external hard drive to store all the photos off my PC as the disk was full.
                    /Fixed that for you. Memory is not storage.

Comment

I feel like most people don’t need NAS rather than just hard drives.

I’m paying for a few Tb of online storage but despite them having the best reviews their software just jammed up my computer and internet and it didn’t seem to work. I should go back and sort it out but haven’t had time.

Comment

NAS is network-attached storage?

Comment

It is, NS. Basically a drive with a network card attached.
                          Although they tend to be more complicated than that having multiple drives for redundancy etc.

Comment

Aah finally a thread that relates to my professional experience.

Two separate copies on external hard disks (get a NAS if you feel fancy), stored in separate locations. Figuring out some automatic mirrored backups will probably make your life easier. Have a plan to do regular backups at a regularity that suits yourself I guess.

If you want to paranoiacally secure about it, make sure your backing up involves some sort of checking hashes/checksums, and never trust a cloud service lest they go bust or fuck up in some other way. If you want to be doubly paranoid and have more money than sense (or enough data to warrant it) fuck off discs and get an LTO machine. Keep on top of changing file formats, and possibly have a migration strategy so you don't wake up one day and try to open a document that requires a piece of software that hasn't been used for decades and no longer runs on yer machine.

Comment

Re: categorization I've no good advice, my only strategy is to use a rigid folder-and-file naming structure and my own (shoddy) memory, so I can't really recommend that. At work, of course, we have bespoke systems that do all this for us that are complicated enough I can only claim ignorance in so far as I'm not the mechanic, I only drive the car.

Comment

Folders and that are all old hat, these days, aren't they?

Comment

If they're old hat, then call me a musty old trilby. If you've a bit of software running everything they'll still be getting used behind the scenes, but the stuff I receive at work is (theoretically, hopefully) organized in a standardized folder structure defined by a shadowy cabal of film producers/technicians/etc.

I use them on my own personal stuff to make sure me music is in a different place from me photos and whatnot. Would offer a better example but I'm only in this thread in the first place cos I'm into the 15th hour or what should have been a 12-hour train journey, one that is still showing little sign of reaching its destination..

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                    Folders and that are all old hat, these days, aren't they?
                                    Theoretically. The nerds/evangelists would love everything to be done via search, but that ignores two fundamental things - first that search works best when the user has put the effort into the metadata for each file and second that you are undoing four decades worth of a paradigm* that users can easily understand.

*nnngh

Comment

It is understood, but it's pretty rubbish, isn't it? Very one-dimensional.

Comment

But search works regardless of whether there is a filing system. So, why not have both to satisfy everyone's needs? My own filing system is far from comprehensive and very very far from perfect, but i;m glad I have it, though i also use search too.

Comment

Quite

Comment

Fair play, that is one sexy thread title

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                              Fair play, that is one sexy thread title

Are you getting fresh with me?

Comment

Working...
                                              X