You know when you see a magpie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No I know you don't "really believe it". But I mean does it really come into your mind - some specific consequence?

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
      It's like playing the lottery. Do it once in a while for a buck and it's a lark. Turn it into a weekly obsession and you're an idiot. Same with most things.
      Yeah, well, I don't understand that either. A mug's game is a mug's game, whether you're in for a penny or a pound.

Comment

TT - some specific consequence, no. Some sense of ''oh...really shouldn't do that", yes. Just silliness really.

WE - true enough, in principal. But it's really the same as the argument about drinking just one pint. If you drink an intoxicating beverage without the intention of getting intoxicated, what's the point?

Comment

But I mean does it really come into your mind - some specific consequence?
          Well, I just think you can't be too careful. I don't want to increase the chances of things going wrong(er). Like, if it's not true, no harm done, and if it is, well, then you're OK.

Comment

Lyra wrote:
            But I mean does it really come into your mind - some specific consequence?
            Well, I just think you can't be too careful. I don't want to increase the chances of things going wrong(er). Like, if it's not true, no harm done, and if it is, well, then you're OK.
            Blaise Pascal rears his ugly head?

Comment

How do you distinguish among superstitions? If I said, oh I dunno, that every time I heard the phrase "fried egg" I had to tap my head eight times, would that be equally plausible? In which case, you know, why not start doing that as well?

"Fried egg".

Comment

Don't do that, Wyatt. My head hurts.

Comment

I think a lot of it comes from crazy shit your mother or grandmother did when you were a kid. You know, 'don't rock an empty rocking chair' or 'don't put new shoes on a kitchen table'. Old wives' tales.

Just this weekend, Mrs WOM barked at our daughter for leaving her cutlery crossed on an empty plate, and I said "You know that's just stupidity right? And you just gave our daughter shit for it." and she paused and said "But she clearly did it just to upset my mom" and I thought (but wisely didn't say) "Well, good for her."

However, just to be sure, I've completed my fried egg tap and am good to go.

Comment

My little guy had the quote of the weekend with "Dada! I saw a hummingbird on da feeder. He go 'chickadee dee dee dee dee'."
                    Is your son Jimmy Cagney?

You know what I find? When I see a light-hearted thread, I have a overwhelming need to analyse the fuck out of it

Comment

Blaise Pascal rears his ugly head?
                      I knew someone would say that, and I knew it would be you. x

Comment

Lay back. Just relax. Now, how long have you felt this way?

[to Bored]

Comment

Lyra - are you actually being serious here?

Comment

Mrs WOM barked at our daughter for leaving her cutlery crossed on an empty plate,
                            You can undo that by taking the bottom knife out from under the top one.

Comment

That'll keep my wife from over-reacting? Done and done.

Comment

TT - sort of, a bit.

Comment

And you eat with two knives?

Comment

Lay back. Just relax. Now, how long have you felt this way?

[to Bored]
                                    That your son sounds like Jimmy Cagney? Since your post.

Mind you, now you have mentioned it, it does harken back to my childhood.

Maybe I was bullied by a lad in a fedora

Comment

Just this weekend, Mrs WOM barked at our daughter for leaving her cutlery crossed on an empty plate, and I said "You know that's just stupidity right? And you just gave our daughter shit for it." and she paused and said "But she clearly did it just to upset my mom" and I thought (but wisely didn't say) "Well, good for her."
                                      How long have you been with Mrs WOM, WOM? I only ask as I have been with Mrs Bored 20 years now and we have had full crockery-throwing arguments about the wierdest stuff but never yet anything like that.

I am wondering how long I have to wait

Comment

We've been together 11 years. Married for 9. But that wasn't a knock-down, drag-out issue by any stretch. I was just pointing out a bit of insanity. That rarely leads to crockery-throwing.

What does lead to it is when I make my point (thereby scoring a point) and then continue to rant on like my mouth is hinged at the back of my head, and continue to run headlong into deep, deep 'should've shut up while I was winning' territory.

Little Jimmy Cagney talks like that because he's not yet three, so everything is 'dis and dat and wiff'. Our current favourite is "Here I'm am."

Wait...let me get my pictures out...

Comment

And you eat with two knives?
                                          I eat my peas with honey
                                          I've done it all my life
                                          It makes them taste quite funny
                                          But it keeps them on the knife

Well I always understood that knives crossed on the table meant an argument to follow, unless you pulled the bottom one out first.

Comment

Well I always understood that knives crossed on the table meant an argument to follow
                                            It will if you decide to call your wife's mother a 'nutbar'.

Comment

Woo-hoo, WOM, I am doing the virtual equivalent of making up the spare bed. Do you like coffee or tea in the morning.

"nutbar" indeed. You are the man. I don't say that and my mother-in-law is a nutbar (not that I don't love her)

Comment

Mrs WOM barked at our daughter for leaving her cutlery crossed on an empty plate,

Or telling the good lady to cool it just a bit and tell her there are worse things to go ballistic at.

I'm thinking of walking under the first ladder I see just for the hell of it. Shit happens whether you or you don't.

Comment

Working...
                                                X