Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Yes I am

As you noted, NYC in general, and the Upper West Side in particular, are not conducive to such vehicles.

Among other things, I have never seen an "Amazon van" of any sort here. They sound like something that they would be much more liklely to inhabit suburbia.
    What do people drive around the streets of New York? Nearly every passenger vehicle now sold is a suv or pickup, and they don't seem hugely suitable
    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 09-03-2024, 20:02.

Comment

SanB - You live in the state which is OK with driverless cars running people over and whatnot. There’s a lot of incentive there to get people into electric cars (expensive gas being part of it)

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
        I am more surprised at WOM not seeing them
        See what? Rivians? The one I saw was in the US, and I couldn’t tell you - without googling - whether they’re even sold in Canada. I see the odd electric delivery van - mainly FedEx and Amazon - but not many yet.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
          SanB - You live in the state which is OK with driverless cars running people over and whatnot. There’s a lot of incentive there to get people into electric cars (expensive gas being part of it)
          But I see them in South Carolina and Massachusetts and Connecticut, too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

What do people drive around the streets of New York? Nearly every passenger vehicle now sold is a suv or pickup, and they don't seem hugely suitable
            We virtually never see pickups.

There are a lot of vans driven by tradesmen and contractors. There are also a surprising number of SUVs, though generally not the huge ones (other than Escalades used as limos).

A reasonable mix of sedans, including Lexuses and Acuras favoured by Uber and Lyft.

And, by us, what might be a surprising number of well- loved Subarus, Volvo wagons and the like that people use to drive to second homes in the Hudson Valley, North Fork, Berkshires or Vermont

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

But I see them in South Carolina and Massachusetts and Connecticut, too.
              Googling "Ontario registered Rivians" brings up Rivian forum threads wondering why they are so rare.

I think that you underestimate the degree to which consumer tastes in the areas you inhabit are not at all typical of the continent as a whole (or even of areas of similar affluence, but different patterns of life).

Comment

Yeah, I’m not shocked that they’re absent on I-70 from Kansas City to Columbia, MO. But Tronno and Manhattan seem like they’d be closer in cultural vibe to the Boston or Charleston. That said, when we were on our cross-country drive last year we also saw transporters full of Rivian Amazon Prime delivery vans heading out while we were in the middle of nowhere South Dakota or Minnesota. Once you see a couple the really identifiable thing are the headlight shapes (just like you recognise a new Bronco when you see it at night).

Comment

I would have thought the RIVIAN in massive letters across the back was a better clue

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                    (expensive gas)
                    There is nowhere in the US with expensive petrol. Just places with marginally less cheap petrol

Comment

This is very true. Petrol even in California is dirt cheap. If it’s cheaper to buy a gallon of something non-renewable like petrol than something renewable like beer or wine there’s something wrong.

Comment

US beer is renewable? This would explain why it tastes like piss.

Comment

A beautifully restored GM Futurliner. Used to show off GM product at car shows.

Comment

And how they were discovered in a field in '89.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                              Apparently just a concept for now and not likely to be released for a few years.
                              Apparently they're driving them around your neighbourhood....

https://www.theautopian.com/people-a...-freaking-out/

Comment

FAO The Awesome Berbaslug!!!

Tesla facing very stiff headwinds...

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/18/b...smid=url-share

Comment

It comes down to the charging network, as it always does. There are plenty videos laughing at how a Model 3 with 50k miles is completely falling apart (trim, seat cushioning collapsed etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                    Not sure if I've mentioned the issues we've been having with Mrs TrL's purchase of a new Kia Niro, but here's a précis (actually more of an extended rant).

New, top of the range automatic Kia Niro (mild hybrid self-charging version) purchased in March. It had done less than 1000 miles when an array of dashboard alarms began going off and couldn't be reset for more than 10-15 miles before they went off again.

Three attempts to fix it all failed, and they concluded that it was the front sensor panel (in the grille) that was faulty, so they ordered one and gave her a courtesy car (an Xceed). Then they wanted that back and gave her a manual 1 litre Stonic. It was cramped and underpowered. We needed to make a long trip so told them they could have that back and give us something larger. They came up with a bottom of the range manual Suzuki S Cross (dealership is joint Kia/Suzuki/MG).

This lasted several months before Mrs TrL expressed her unhappiness and told them she'd have her money back if they weren't able to fix the Niro - apparently the part was on back order to Korea. After some negotiation they agreed to give her a brand new car, once they could source one. In the meantime they'd fix the old one and give her it back as she was fed up driving a manual, basic Suzuki. Except the part still hasn't turned up. So in the absence of anything on their forecourt they handed her over to Kia Rental who gave her a Sportage - very nice size, auto box and hybrid but not as good a spec as her Niro.

We're now 7 months down the line and the old car still hasn't been fixed, and nor can they confirm when her new one will reach the UK. She recently made the point (quite vocally) that it seemed the reason Kia give you a 7 year warranty is because it takes them that long to fix a problem on a new car.
                                    My post above was back in October - the sorry saga has finally reached a conclusion.

Mrs TrL lost patience with the dealership being unable to give a date for her new Kia Niro, and asked for her money back. They said, "Ah no, you said you'd have a new car and that's a binding contract as far as we're concerned. Oh, and by the way, here's your old one back, we've finally fixed it." She countered with "I only said I'd have a new one because you said it would be here in October. It's now December and you still can't give me a date, so as far as I'm concerned, you've broken the contract by failing to deliver." They then said "And anyway, we gave you a hire car and you accepted it, so by doing that you've waived any claim to a refund". Which came as a bit of a surprise as they'd never mentioned that at the time....

She contacted the motoring ombudsman, who said she has a good case, but they're snowed under and it would be 6 months before they could assign her case to anyone. So, very reluctantly, she drove round in the old Kia for 3 months and took delivery of the new one when it eventually rolled off the ship this month. She drove it home, put it in the garage, advertised it on various websites (CarWow, Motorway etc.) and sold it to a dealership for around a 2.5k loss on forecourt value. She then went out the next day and bought a Hyundai Kona (similar spec to the Kia) and is happily driving around in that. Fuck Kia, and in particular, fuck this useless dealership (I could write a separate thread on some of the hopeless ignorant tossers who work there).

Comment

The Hyundai Kona has really grown on me. I didn't like it out of the gate, but I quite like it now...and the Gen 2 is very nice.

Comment

For those with Facebook, this is cool. A time-lapse complete teardown and rebuild of a big ol' Detroit V8 engine.

https://fb.watch/qUpMxb72vo/

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                          The Hyundai Kona has really grown on me. I didn't like it out of the gate, but I quite like it now...and the Gen 2 is very nice.
                                          Yeah, it's a much nicer looking car than the Kia, which is pretty bland.

Comment

We're due a new car in October.
                                            Think we're going to go for the same again. P loves it, as do I so why change? I am sort of tempted by the Fisker Ocean, but I'm not convinced by the servicing and repair offering.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                              I am sort of tempted by the Fisker Ocean, but I'm not convinced by the servicing and repair offering.
                                              Now know as 'the worst car he's ever reviewed'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xWXRk3yaSw

Comment

They've also suspended production and are apparently in a pretty bad cash position.

Comment

Autocar Gave it 4.5 stars out of 5.
                                                  And AutoExpress 3.5.

Going bust isn't a good look though.

Comment

I saw my first Ferrari Purosangue in Waitrose car park this week. Had to google it when I got home as I hadn't realised Ferrari had moved into the SUV market. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't quite right either.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X