Tube posters in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tube posters in London

Some of them are great, I bought a copy of this one and I'm having it framed for the study:

I like the fact that the lines are the ones that went to Stratford.

Anyone else have any favourites?

Tube posters in London

Man Ray.

Comment

Tube posters in London

Not a poster, but I recently noticed the Tube map themed station clocks at Hammersmith Station are amazing.

Comment

Tube posters in London

The anti-pigeon thing looks oddly like eyelashes.

Comment

Tube posters in London

I used to have postcards of half a dozen of these on my office wall at any one time.

Some favourites:

The Transport Museum recently put an on-line collection that is amazing.

The example Harry posted is one of the best contemporary posters I've seen.

Comment

Tube posters in London

Oh yes, they are lush.

I was already scanning which Hampton Court transport poster to get for my wife for Xmas but that collection and the related online shop is going to get a hammering.

Comment

Tube posters in London

It's been a while since a good modern one showed up, but yes, that Olympic one is quite nice.

The LTM shop, if not so pricey, would be more or less a permanent home for me. It's bad enough that I've bought as many things as I have from there, but I've just gone and followed that link and found this item which is tempting me, both from a transport and map-loving aspect

http://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/tube150/maps/product/lu150-mapping-masterpieces-decorative-maps.html

That 'No Wet-No Cold' poster is my pick of the page so far.

Comment

Tube posters in London

London Transport and Shell are the two best patrons of corporate art ever.

Comment

Tube posters in London

The LTM shop, if not so pricey, would be more or less a permanent home for me.
                  Me too. I love their "as seen on the tube" fabrics. But they're not cheap.

Comment

Tube posters in London

London Transport Museum isn't cheap either. Still haven't been in.

That Man Ray one is brilliant. I live near Manor House tube station and even now the UFO vibe comes across strong (the ceiling's covered in textured discs). It's dark half of the year when you emerge from work, and these luminous beauties make it so much the better.

Comment

Tube posters in London

I got these for Christmas last year. Love them to bits:

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/hortus/product/london-red-bus-fairy-light

I also really enjoyed this Art Deco Icons that was on a couple of years ago about its influence on London Transport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lfqGsYQFCk

In other words, I really love London Transport.

Comment

Tube posters in London

Have you seen the new book of 100 artists' interpretations of the LT Roundel ?

I was poring over the poster archive from the shop before UA posted his link up but now it's gone in to overkill. I've picked out a dozen or so I want from the Sport section alone including this which is now officially one of my favourite pieces of design ever (and I am not that in to cricket);

Comment

Tube posters in London

On a related note, I've been meaning to bring this up since I saw a framed version hanging in the bar of the Bridge Hotel in Buttermere, during my last visit home.

Tubular Fells

A representation of all of Wainright's 214 fells in the Tube Map style. I love it, and once I've got some spare cash I'm going to have one framed for home.

Marvellous stuff.

Comment

Tube posters in London

Going back to this thread as we took the family to the LT Museum today. Obviously the poster and design section are wonderful but this WWI recruiting one really shocked me:

It's worth noting that as part of a series of events commemorating the 150th anniversary of the the Tube there is an exhibition of it's greatest posters.

Comment

Tube posters in London

I love the LT museum. Part of what I love about it is that 50% of the 'historical' displays I grew up with.

Comment

Tube posters in London

That site UA linked can suck you in for a day. I was having a look through the 20s section and there are just so many stunning images I'm relieved we have no free wall space - mostly already filled with old LNER posters.

Comment

Tube posters in London

I bought myself an apron with that Man Ray poster on. I'm not sure if I can bear to wear it; it's too beautiful...

Comment

Tube posters in London

We went looking for a cut-rate calendar on Saturday and the one Mrs WOM picked out was of old underground posters.

Comment

Tube posters in London

In a bout of homesickness for the Metropolitan line, I now own both the day and night versions of this:

I miss the bounciness of those bad boys. Although sitting outside Finchley Road wondering why the train has taken a break again, I don't miss. The A Stock will always remind me of being a kid though

Comment

Tube posters in London

WOM wrote: We went looking for a cut-rate calendar on Saturday and the one Mrs WOM picked out was of old underground posters.
                                        Ha, this went up on the wall of my office this morning;

Also, a lot of people's selections in this thread are available in these postcard sets.

Comment

Tube posters in London

via vicaria wrote: Metropolitan line ... I miss the bounciness of those bad boys.
                                          Oh yes. Trying to get my homework finished whilst on the Met Line into school in the morning was an art form in itself. After a couple of years, I think I was able to tell when the next bump and jump was coming - lift pen from paper, wait, write another word or two, lift pen, and so on... all the way to Harrow-on-the-Hill.

Comment

Tube posters in London

Got one myself - the original design was in two parts so I put it in two frames:

Others on my shortlist were:

Comment

Tube posters in London

Well reminded midlander, this prompted me to mention the collection to Mrs. Sits. Turns out there is one poster-sized space left on one of the walls and while we won't be getting one of the art deco style posters which caught my eye, we will be getting this as it's the classic design but also the right age for the house.

Twenty quid including shipping to Sydney - can't argue with that. Will probably cost $200 to mount and frame mind. Now, if I just shipped it to WOM...

Comment

Tube posters in London

Oof, that St Pancras one is lovely. Even if the banner headline could lead to mild panic

Comment

Tube posters in London

^^ The St Pancras one was by Mick Brownfield in 1980. A modern classic.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X