No announcement yet.

MMXXII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some cunt is still letting off fireworks at 2.10 am here. The cats fortunately are not fazed by it. Madame Distel and I had some Baileys and Kahlua with a couple of tacos then got some sleep before the midnight bedlam and will doubtless sleep in tomorrow/today.

Comment

Low key for us. Grapes at midnight, following which our son went to a nightclub, returning at about 6 this morning.

Comment

You want low key? I was on the bog.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Brown View Post

I disagree, to her Excalibur is probably like a documentary;
          or a Princess Margaret passed-by-note confessional. A slice of Lee Marvin on full tilt? That would get one going. I’d text her to find out, but she’s blocked me.
          No, I reckon it must have been Zardoz that was the one. Perhaps Sean Connery's finest cinematic moment.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
            All night?

Comment

We made it to 9.15 before heading to bed. Had a lovely lunch though at a little winery/restaurant near Yallingup, with eldest and his partner. Off in the distance some people made it to dawn with their drifting thumpy-thumpy music. It was Molly's first holiday and she was well-behaved.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                Going out like Elvis.

Comment

Didn't even bother staying up in the end, not even Jools' Hootenanny was enough to entice us. Stayed awake reading however as local fireworks were banging away until about 12:30, but after that all was quiet.

Comment

Happy new year all.

Comment

Happy New year Balderdasha I'm sure that all of us wish you the very best for the year ahead
                      ​​​

Comment

Well we did fall asleep for half the evening, but did stir in time to catch the fireworks all over the city. Like 3CR, Mrs G was similarly engaged when the bell rang but of far greater importance Maddy is slowly recovering back to her old, cheeky self. Not that pizza crusts are what we want her to be eating but I guess we all want comfort food when getting over the lurgy right.

Happy New Year OTFers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

All night?
                          No, just on the stroke of midnight. Was in bed before half past, earplugs in and spare pillow wrapped around lugs because of the mortar bombs being set off outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

The woman being Boorman’s own daughter, 21 at the time. What kind of father? etc.
                            Well, you learn something new every day. And, now I think about it, she was playing the grandmother of her brother's character.

Comment

Finished it tonight.

Comment

Top work. Good that you have it towing a bowl.

Comment

Or a mug?

Comment

Happy New Year all. Hope none of us get put on a soylent green diet.

Comment

By the way, with reference to the thread title, I'll spare you the full rant, but just to say that I absolutely despise Roman numerals. They are an utterly backward piece of cluelessness compared with the place value numeral system which India (via the Arabic empire) gave us. An indication of just how intellectually stagnant the brutal militaristic Roman gangster empire was. They are clumsy and inelegant, and well nigh impossible to do decent mathematics with. Their use in various formal cultural contexts, apparently as some kind of reverent homage to the classical era, is bizarre - it's like "let's choose a particularly crass example of Roman stupidity and use that to celebrate their era".

Comment

Not bad for not the full rant.

Comment

What did the Romans do for us?

Comment

ha ha!

Comment

Nice short-form rant there.

Comment

I remember as a child seeing long rows of letters at the end of TV credits beginning with MCMLXX and having to have them explained to me. MM was a brief bright spot when it first popped up.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                                  By the way, with reference to the thread title, I'll spare you the full rant, but just to say that I absolutely despise Roman numerals. They are an utterly backward piece of cluelessness compared with the place value numeral system which India (via the Arabic empire) gave us. An indication of just how intellectually stagnant the brutal militaristic Roman gangster empire was. They are clumsy and inelegant, and well nigh impossible to do decent mathematics with. Their use in various formal cultural contexts, apparently as some kind of reverent homage to the classical era, is bizarre - it's like "let's choose a particularly crass example of Roman stupidity and use that to celebrate their era".
                                                  They do look kinda nifty though ; )

Comment

Working...
                                                  X