• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTF Fashion Watch

Things I've observed:

This is the age of the "indoor jacket."
    So I bought this one.

I've also noticed that the kids are wearing white leather sneakers again. Like it's 1982. That seems like regression.

Comment

I support this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
        I've also noticed that the kids are wearing white leather sneakers again. Like it's 1982. That seems like regression.
        608's?

Comment

Indoor Jackets, dude, you are nearly 50, you are too old for all that.

White leather sneakers have never gone out of fashion.
          The Nike Airforce 1, and AirMax have been fashionable in white Leather for most of the last 30 years.

Comment

It's a trackie top that isn't a trackie top?

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

The Nike Airforce 1, and AirMax have been fashionable in white Leather for most of the last 30 years.
              You're never too old or young for any fashion, if you like it ,who cares? There's plenty of time for trousers with elasticated waists.

Comment

It's sort of a trackie top, but without any kind of collar. I also have a few trackie tops (we don't call it that, but I know what you mean).*

Adidas has a similar version which it calls an "urban bomber."

It seems that "bomber jacket" just means it doesn't have a collar that sticks up or out. But "bomber jacket" usually means something a bit more substantial, either made of leather or nylon with insulation. A lot of them have a zipper pocket on the sleeve as a distinguishing feature. I'm not sure what that is for.

I've also seen cotton jackets like that called "baseball jackets," although "baseball jacket" can mean a lot of things too, including a full nylon jacket like the Starter jackets that were a thing in the 80s or a traditional expensive "varsity" jacket with the wool and the leather sleeves and what not.

I'm also trying to make cardigans a thing. They're great. They have pockets. But I've noticed a lot of men, including older men, wearing sweaters (wool or cotton) that have a zipper that just goes down to the sternum and may wear those with a collared shirt and tie. (the head coach of the University of Minnesota football team is trying to make that happen as a sideline fashion). To me, zippers are inherently more casual so anything with a zipper doesn't work with a tie. It's like wearing sneakers with a suit. But who am I to judge?

Anyway, I've noticed that people wearing jackets inside, while presenting on TV and what not, really took off during the pandemic. I think Conan O'Brien pushed this trend along by deciding not wear a suit on the new/last version of his show.

It is time for suits as we know them to die. Why do we wear a jacket that keeps you too hot in summer but can't keep you very warm in winter? Why do we wear things that have to be dry cleaned? Why do we wear ties????? I'm hoping the pandemic will hasten the end of this stupidity.

Suits seem as silly to me as wearing a white wig and a ruffled shirt.

I also hate the current suit moment we're in where everything is supposed to be tight and short. If we're going to do suits, I'd prefer the style of the 50s where everything was a bit long and baggy.

*I also have this Adidas track top, but mine is gray. As you can see, it has a sorta turtleneck collar.
                https://www.adidas.com/us/essentials...op/DQ3070.html
                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 17-12-2021, 17:18.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

You're never too old or young for any fashion, if you like it ,who cares? There's plenty of time for trousers with elasticated waists.
                  Yeah. "Too old" for x,y,z fashion is why we're all stuck wearing shit we don't like. Fuck that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Same for Stan Smiths

Comment

White sneakers were not so common over here for a long time, I think. I gave them up in the early 90s. Pretty much every shoe I've worn for the last 25 years has been black.

I pushed for that as early as the late 80s, but was told, by my mom, that black sneakers were only worn by burnouts (indeed, the kids who skipped school to smoke pot and listen to Ratt always wore black basketball sneakers).
                      IIRC, the Fab Four Michigan basketball team really broke that wide open when they took the court in baggy shorts and black sneakers. Whatever else it accomplished or didn't, that team may have saved American youth fashion by bringing that look from Black kids into the mainstream.

Black goes with everything and doesn't show the street dirt.
                      These are my current favorite.
                      https://bit.ly/3E0LPSd

I also have these:
                      https://bit.ly/326FpEm

And these:
                      https://bit.ly/3J0OEGQ

For most people who don't have a million dollar collection of kicks and time to maintain them, white sneakers just end up looking a bit dingey.

Comment

The phrase urban bomber seems to need work. It is also a shuddering reminder of when I was shouting to catch my mate's ex-father-in-law's attention in a tube station a decade and a half ago when my pal gave me a hefty dig in the arm to encourage me to stop, sharpish. Although this chap's name is Peter, he is much better known by his nickname.

Comment

I'm a big fan of zipped cardigans but where the boundary with bomber jackets is I don't know. Love my SNS Herning cotton cardie which I bought when I was going through Knut Humsun North Sea fisherman phase.

Never been one for white leathers sneakers, which is not surprising for vegans. Despite spending a lot of time obsessing over obscure designer labels I have never got into the whole sneaker thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                            The phrase urban bomber seems to need work. It is also a shuddering reminder of when I was shouting to catch my mate's ex-father-in-law's attention in a tube station a decade and a half ago when my pal gave me a hefty dig in the arm to encourage me to stop, sharpish. Although this chap's name is Peter, he is much better known by his nickname.
                            Pete?

A few of my friends have ex-father-in-laws. I don't think I'd bother to flag them down in a crowd.

Comment

I'm also trying to make cardigans a thing. They're great. They have pockets.
                              Not usually. Pockets in cardigans are useless anyway because they stretch out of shape irrecoverably as soon as you put anything heavier than a bus ticket in them

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
                                I'm a big fan of zipped cardigans but where the boundary with bomber jackets is I don't know. Love my SNS Herning cotton cardie which I bought when I was going through Knut Humsun North Sea fisherman phase.

Never been one for white leathers sneakers, which is not surprising for vegans. Despite spending a lot of time obsessing over obscure designer labels I have never got into the whole sneaker thing.
                                In my experience, sneakers are just more comfortable and durable than most "real" shoes. But leather ones don't breath well.

And, for hiking and walking, I need something with support and cushion. So they need to be made for hiking or running.

I've gone off leather and wool, which limits my options anyway. I still have some wool things and the black leather dress shoes I bought pre-veg days, so I'll try to hang onto them. The animal that gave them has already done so, so I'm not saving anyone by not wearing them.

I suspect I will never have to wear those shoes for anything except funerals. I also have a few "sport coats" for that purpose (As a kid, I never understood why something so dull-yet-impractical was called a "sport coat" or a "blazer." I didn't understand Victorian boat club culture.)

I thought about the vegan Doc Martens, but they just feel plasticy. I think they'd be hard to break in. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the Chelsea Boot style?

Unfortunately, Chuck Taylors are too narrow for me, or I would wear those. They're classics. But I do ok with Vans. Too bad Airwalk went bust. Those were the best for me.
                                Canvas Five-Tens do well too, but are a bit pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

Not usually. Pockets in cardigans are useless anyway because they stretch out of shape irrecoverably as soon as you put anything heavier than a bus ticket in them
                                  I put my glasses in them and/or a anti-COVID mask. That's not much heavier than a bus ticket.
                                  I wouldn't put my keys or a sandwich in them.

Comment

I guess it was Stadtbomber in the original Adidisch.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
                                      I have never got into the whole sneaker thing.
                                      I just buy new trainers from Deichmann and will not pay more than £20 for a pair. And even then, only when absolutely necessary.

Comment

I have far more pairs of trainers than is strictly necessary.

But then again I also have a 50 quid Adidas voucher that work bought me for my birthday (on top of the 100 quid I got from the folks in my department which got spent on...uh, not trainers?).

Comment

I may have to avoid this thread.

Comment

Pete?

A few of my friends have ex-father-in-laws. I don't think I'd bother to flag them down in a crowd.
                                            Bomber wasn't an ex-FIL at that point, he was about to go off to the wrong platform which would have made us late for the away match we were going to.

Comment

I guess it was Stadtbomber in the original Adidisch.
                                              Still problems there.

Anyway, looking forward to unwrapping my new Fjallraven cord shirt once Father Christmas has been.

Comment

Still problems there.

Anyway, looking forward to unwrapping my new Fjallraven cord shirt once Father Christmas has been.
                                                That’s not really going to help EIM’s resistance now is it?

Comment

I'm not entirely sure that's EIM's issue.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X