No announcement yet.

The Laboratories of Democracy: US state and local politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God, that's depressing. She'll fuck over every woman in North Carolina because she wasn't applauded enough?

Comment

Never underestimate the power of a bruised ego, sadly.

Comment

The power of narcissism.

Comment

We are officially fucked:

https://news.wgcu.org/2023-05-15/flo...ublic-colleges

Nobody with a social conscience will want to study or work here. Businesses will leave in droves.

Some universities will try to keep their DEI programs and find ways to get around censorship but I don't see how they can do so for very long.
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 16-05-2023, 11:25.

Comment

It would help immeasurably if the best gridiron players from Florida and Florida State announced that they were entering the transfer portal.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              It would help immeasurably if the best gridiron players from Florida and Florida State announced that they were entering the transfer portal.
              I think it will take a little while for them to see how it's become a white-supremacist haven. Football players live in their own world.

Comment

Coach Prime should do some Tik Toks

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Businesses will leave in droves.
                  Doubting this very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I think it will take a little while for them to see how it's become a white-supremacist haven. Football players live in their own world.
                    Well, to be more charitable, a lot of them are from Florida, and it’s a big move to leave your home.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Doubting this very much.
                      Some will, but a lot can't. Disney can't move Disneyworld.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

Well, to be more charitable, a lot of them are from Florida, and it’s a big move to leave your home.
                        Could be a boost for Miami. It's private. It doesn't have to be racist. Downsides are that they're in the ACC and don't have much of a fanbase.

Comment

I also don't see businesses leaving in droves, but it will be something that certain businesses consider when expanding.

There are already reports of law firms having difficulty recruiting at the top end of the market.

Comment

It slightly less depressing news.

Today is actually a primary election day and local election day.

I already voted for school board and borough council and judges. I think both of the county judge candidates are fairly liberal, but I went with the guy who isn't white and seemed to know more about criminal law. I think the woman he's running against will win. That's fine.

I'm confident the council and school board will remain left of center, but we'll see how much.

Around here, at least, the progressives have made, ummm, progress using the tactics that the loons have used. These races are officially non-partisan, but candidates can band together to promote themselves as a "slate." They're still voted on separately, but it seems to help. Also, the turnout for these elections is minimal, so the winner will be whoever organize.

A lot of yard signs for this one. I hate yard signs. I think they're an environmental scourge. But if that many people went to the trouble of getting the sign, they'll vote.

Philadelphia is having its primary for mayor which is essentially the election.

The Enquirer has this cool thing that lets you mark it up in way that looks like pencil.
                            https://www.inquirer.com/politics/el...-20230404.html

Some sports-related issues on the ballot in a few places.
                            I think the fate of the 76ers Chinatown arena may hang in the balance. Getting torched by the Celtics on Sunday probably hurt their chances.

Also, the fate of the Arizona Coyotes is on the ballot in Tempe.
                            I have a feeling the public subsidies for the new project, which includes the arena, will pass. The pro-arena propaganda, funded by the developers, outspent the anti-handouts-for-billionaires lobby by a lot and, from what I could see, the anti forces focused way too much on how Alex Meruelo is unreliable. He is, but that's probably not in the top 5 reasons why local governments shouldn't give huge tax breaks to developers for this project (or any arena project).

Comment

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1658616314062053376?t=WvHn46g_GDDIx85Z3lR7-w&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                God, that's depressing. She'll fuck over every woman in North Carolina because she wasn't applauded enough?
                                Cotham was the deciding vote in overriding the Governor's veto of the 12 week abortion ban

Comment

https://twitter.com/pblest/status/1658644370256457737?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

https://twitter.com/taniel/status/1658647775553224704?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

Not looking good for the Tempe arena.

Comment

Colorado Springs is astonishing. It’s still god bothering right wing crazytown in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                          Colorado Springs is astonishing. It’s still god bothering right wing crazytown in my head.
                                          It has that element, but it’s much bigger than that now.

Comment

I know. I have friends there. But my head still associates it with the focus on the family style crazies

Comment

Back to Florida

https://twitter.com/KatieCorkern/status/1658800243830300673?t=yoYiGKxOH5czUlp7JJSpHA&s=19

Comment

But it's not systemic racism because they'll let some token blacks in.

The real Great Replacement will be blacks having to leave while rich whites move in.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  But it's not systemic racism because they'll let some token blacks in.

The real Great Replacement will be blacks having to leave while rich whites move in.
                                                  My understanding of the way these funding things work is that they starve public schools, but don't provide enough money to really fund proper private schools either.

So the only options will be - terrible public schools, terrible religious "schools," or fancy private schools (religious or not) that, even with the state subsidy, most people cannot afford.

It's not even about racism. It's beyond that. It's about destroying education full stop. It's like they're saying "Ok, now that I've created a society in which nobody who does not look like me and my family can survive, so what's next? Oh, I know, I'll create a society in which literally nobody who isn't me or my family can survive. And, you know, maybe we won't survive either, but that's ok, because we'll have owned the libs in the process and created a lot of shareholder value."

I'm not pro-violence or pro-civil unrest, but I'll be very worried if we don't see a bit more of it in Florida soon.
                                                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 17-05-2023, 18:56.

Comment

Thread:

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1659174426347184128

Comment

Working...
                                                    X