No announcement yet.

Visca Catalunya?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This lad Puidgemont, Either he's a steely eyed Ideologue, who wants an independent catalonia at all costs, or he's cynically seeking to make himself prime minister of an actual country, at the expense of everyone he knows, or he's a massive throbbing gobshite who is completely out of his depth, and in danger of accidentally burning everything down. Which is it?
    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 26-10-2017, 12:56.

Comment

Probably the latter - it appears the press conference was cancelled in order to secure the suspension of Article 155, so knowing Rajoy, UDI could be on the table again by teatime:

http://www.eldiario.es

Comment

ERC threaten to quit if elections are called, Puigdemont press conference now being held in five minutes time.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
          Probably the latter - it appears the press conference was cancelled in order to secure the suspension of Article 155, so knowing Rajoy, UDI could be on the table again by teatime:

http://www.eldiario.es
          155 negotiations collapse, so elections are cancelled, so it seems it's back to UDI.

Comment

What the hell is going on?

Comment

Generalitat in session now, so presumably there will be a vote on UDI either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Comment

The debate phase has ended, voting on resolutions tomorrow morning.

Comment

The text of the UDI resolution:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3627...CUP#from_embed

Comment

As I type, the vote for independence is taking place - granted, it'll be quashed tomorrow morning, but even that would be longer than the 1934 Republic.

Comment

Unsurprisingly it passed

Comment

Rajoy promises to send in his franquista stormtroopers, the Guardia Civil, to "restore legality"

Comment

I wonder if Barcelona will be allowed to continue to play in the Spanish league, or will they be forced into a new Catalonia league?

Comment

Probably a moot point, given that Spain will send in the police, etc, as soon as tomorrow, in all likelihood. Donald Tusk has already responded, stating that Spain remains the only interlocuteur, and "hoping" that Spain uses the force of argument, rather than the argument of force.

https://mobile.twitter.com/eucopresi...14819631271936

Comment

And that even if independence was somehow to come about, la Liga is virtually certain to eliminate the prohibition on clubs outside of Spain participating, given the enormous financial hit they would otherwise take.

Comment

The Wikipedia article is wisely refraining from making any definitive pronouncement for now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalonia

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                  I wonder if Barcelona will be allowed to continue to play in the Spanish league, or will they be forced into a new Catalonia league?
                                  Really, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you really think the Catalonia issue should be influenced, or even viewed, through the prism of La Liga, you need to give your head a wobble

Comment

The Belgian PM appears to be taking a bilateral approach:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CharlesMi...29269931270145

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
                                      Really, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you really think the Catalonia issue should be influenced, or even viewed, through the prism of La Liga, you need to give your head a wobble
                                      I know, right. We haven't even talked about Espanyol.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                        The Belgian PM appears to be taking a bilateral approach:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CharlesMi...29269931270145
                                        Having been in Flanders this week, the bilaterial approach is pretend the other part of the country doesn't exist. This has also worked in Quebec in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
                                          La Liga though is a useful tool for seeing the impact of independence on catalonia's involvement in the international sphere, but also the impact on relations between catalonia and spain. Barcelona being forced out la liga and into into a catalan league would be a very useful metaphor for what is going to happen to the rest of the economy. Catalonia leaving Spain, would rip a huge chunk out of the Spanish economy, while simulataneously shutting catalan businesses out of Spain, but also the European union.

La Liga is primarily about shovelling money to Real Madrid and Barcelona, and despite their fantastic work in developing players throughout the whole of spain aside, the Spanish FA is every bit as fucked up and unprincipled as every other Football association, so as Ursus points out they will find a way around it. But this isn't going to happen, so the point is moot.

Comment

The Scottish Government's official reaction:

https://news.gov.scot/news/statement...source=Twitter

Comment

Rajoy has said that he has dissolved the Catalan parliament and is closing Catalan government offices abroad.

Comment

What will happen Berba when the Guardia Civil face passive resistance from Catalan Civil Sevants? Things aren’t going to reset to normal, the fascist pig bastards will break a shit ton of heads, they might well be fighting Mossos by the weekend. And there’s plenty in the PP who will use this to try and roll back the Autonoma powers. I don’t think Spain is Yugoslavia under Milosevic, but i don’t think Rajoy will be able to restrain himself or the forces unleashed. Puigdemont is a massive wanker but so was Ireland’s Doomed Liberator.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-10-2017, 18:48.

Comment

I really wouldn't want to be Rajoy right now, you can sort of see in his eye he doesn't even want to be himself. Everyone knows being a leader involves a lot of dirty work, but he's really been thrown in the sh*t here. He has to start ordering the arrest of the Catalan leaders and then begin the arrest of civil service chiefs if they refuse to follow orders from Madrid. This, of course, will make him a Fascist in the eyes of Catalans, which he isn't and is an insult to those who fought Franco.

Southern European regionalism is so f*cking tedious, from my experience (Porto, Milan, Barcelona etc.). It all seems based on misguided greed coupled with an overblown sense of superiority bordering on racism.

Comment

Catalan disdain of the rest of Spain (including Spanish speakers in Catalunya) is very problematic but in general Basque and Catalan govt are much more welcoming of Syrian refugees than Spain, indeed this has been a source of tension between the Govts leading up to this hot mess. They aren’t the Lega Nord.
                                                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-10-2017, 19:13.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X